TV Programme- Welcome to the World of Weigh Loss, Wednesday 9pm BBC2

ununpentium

Sherlock Holmes
Just popped over from the weight watchers board to let you know that a programme on tomorrow night features Slimming World, Weight Watchers and Rosemary Conley!

BBC Two - Welcome to the World of Weight Loss

Documentary about dieting by critically acclaimed director Vanessa Engle. Filmed over three months, it follows the diverse members of three different slimming clubs as they try to lose weight.
Filmed in a Weight Watchers group, a Slimming World group and a Rosemary Conley group, it explores why we have such a complicated relationship with food and why so many of us struggle to stay in control of what we eat. Does dieting help?

Really looking forward to this. There was an article in one of the papers (Guardian or Mail?) but I resisted reading it so I could watch it tonight!

What a load of rubbish it was! Didn't present Slimming World very well at all - the group appeared to be very boring and it didn't seem to show the great losses that you can have with SW. Out of three of the girls they interviewed, two had gained that week and one had maintained!

Weight Watchers and Rosemary Conely were shown in a very positive light though. A very biased programme in my opinion. I was really angry and frustrated watching it, it just didn't do us justice. Clever editing to cause controversy!!

I don't think it showed WW in a good light either, all that crap they eat with the points.

I was cross the consultant did not explain that Turkey mince is only Syn Free if Extra lean though, even when one of the members asked does it have to be extra lean, she should have checked.

I enjoyed it. I thought it was a gentle kind of programme that was more interested in the stories the dieters had to tell rather than the specifics of each diet. I lost track of who was doing which diet to be honest.

To be honest I didn't find it very insightful at all. I don't feel I really found out anything new about any of the programmes (and I've never done RC or WW).

I don't think it tried to promote any of them in a positive light, this is going to come across as harsh but the people they chose to interview were gaining or maintaining the majority of the time, that paired with the fact that some of them had quite a lot to lose wasn't overly encouraging. In fact I know that has come across harsher than meant as I know everyone's journey starts somewhere but these ladies seemed to be quite consistent members who still had a long way to go.

I'm sure there were others that had more consistent losses that they could've interviewed as well to give a balance.

The fact it showed 2 of the ladies going for a treat at an all you can eat chinese buffet didn't do much for them either, it made it seem like they were impossible to stick to.

Least we all know SW works, eh?

Back