Type 2 Diabetes - anyone 'nearly' diagnosed?

Barb

Gold Member
After a gp visit this week I was shocked to be told that my fasting blood glucose level was 7.6 and that if the next result comes up similar then I will be considered to be diabetic!

I have immediately started a 'healthy eating' plan, cutting out processed foods/sugary foods and high carb foods.

I just wondered what experience of this kind of test other s have had and whether I am as 'doomed' as I feel.

All info very gratefully received.

i'm the opposite... I've got insulin resistence.. my blood sugars are nearly always low... did a reading once 20 minutes after tea and sugar - it was 3.4 lol. This was a long time ago, and thankfully insulin resistance is reversible!

I'm sure if you make lots of effort to cut out a good majority of sugar it will help. Thankfully type 2 diabetes caused by "obesity" can be reversed or diet managed in a lot of cases.. You are catching it early and have every chance. Sometimes in a way these things can be good as it makes you wise up and realise how precious life is and gives you that push to really look after yourself.

Good luck x

p.s I felt awful when I found out about it and it was a huge battle... reducing sugar is ALWAYS hard because your body has almost an addiction to it. I felt like crap most of the time... all the extra insulin not being fed in my body was giving me insane amounts of sugar cravings.. but you DO get there... it takes time and effort but you willll :)

Thanks Hannata, that is exactly what i was hoping to hear, that if I make a real effort i can sort this out myself.

I didn't realise you could have the opposite, good to know that it can be sorted out though.

Thanks Hannata, that is exactly what i was hoping to hear, that if I make a real effort i can sort this out myself.

I didn't realise you could have the opposite, good to know that it can be sorted out though.

No worries. Mine was caused by eating way too much garbage... I was heading on a fast track to becoming diabetic (all that overproduction kills your pancreas!) so i'm glad i took the step to fixing it.

If you've ever watched the biggest loser - most of the contestants on there have lots of ailments... a great majority of them have diabetes! And a lot of them leave with it vastly improved or even "cured"!

Hi Barb,

I know its horrible! i found out a while back that my fasting blood is 6.3 and the doctor assures me i can reverse diabetes by losing the weight now. You can totally beat this! xxx

Oh Karen, that is so encouraging, thank you. I am definitely going for it!

We certainly can, I really feel that now. Just 'talking it over' with you has helped massively. I haven't told my DH or anyone , don't know why, just feel bad about it.

Thank you again, I know you are right, so I must focus on just getting some of this weight off and start feeling better!

After a gp visit this week I was shocked to be told that my fasting blood glucose level was 7.6 and that if the next result comes up similar then I will be considered to be diabetic!

I have immediately started a 'healthy eating' plan, cutting out processed foods/sugary foods and high carb foods.

I just wondered what experience of this kind of test other s have had and whether I am as 'doomed' as I feel.

All info very gratefully received.

Hey there, im a type 1 diabetic ... been one now for 18years ....... and theres been more downs than ups ... lol .... but since bein on weight watchers ive had more ups than downs due to the portion control etc, so all i can say is dont beat yourself up about it all, if you are diabetic then firstly you may be put on a diet controlled lifestyle where keepin your diet to lower carb foods or you may be put on a tablet called Metformin, this is simply to help your pancreas release that added insulin your pancreas is strugglin to provide, and once your lifestyle gets better your diabetes will be fine! My mum has type 2 diabetes and is on metformin, shes been one for about 4years now and has no problems watsoever with her sugar levels ...... you can easily get your lifestyle on track to keep your blood sugars stable ..... im also a nurse too so if you want any diabetic advice, etc ... i am more than happy to help .... Good luck with everything ... and you are deffo not doomed, the best thing is that its been found early .... some ppl live for years with it undetected and suffer horrible complications xxxxxx

Thanks for that Claire, sorry I have only just found your reply. I don't know why i feel so bad about the prospect, I just do. I am doing all I can to shift some weight/improve my diet before the next blood test, almost as though i can delay/stop the diagnosis being confirmed. I know there are loads of people out there with type 2, who cope with ordinary lives, I guess I just always thought it was something that happens to other people!

It has put me into total panic mode, as though I can't eat anything any more without worrying. I'm terrified that I will eat too much sugar and muck up my health. I feel myself becoming increasingly paranoid and equally obsessive - I am thinking about food all the time, it's just mad.

Thanks for that Claire, sorry I have only just found your reply. I don't know why i feel so bad about the prospect, I just do. I am doing all I can to shift some weight/improve my diet before the next blood test, almost as though i can delay/stop the diagnosis being confirmed. I know there are loads of people out there with type 2, who cope with ordinary lives, I guess I just always thought it was something that happens to other people!

It has put me into total panic mode, as though I can't eat anything any more without worrying. I'm terrified that I will eat too much sugar and muck up my health. I feel myself becoming increasingly paranoid and equally obsessive - I am thinking about food all the time, it's just mad.

Hey, dont worry, i think its just human nature to assume itll never happen to you, buuut, its not all bad ... its a good kick start to get your lifestyle back into touch .... If you treat yourself well, type 2diabetes can be a condition that youll only think about once a year for your check up ... and your already in the driving seat because your on the way to loosin weight ..... dont beat yourself up, millions out there are undiagnosed and it gets left too late .. so your already one step ahead :D again if you want any help or advice, come my way :D xxxxxx

At the moment just aim to eat less sugar, not no sugar .. your body still needs the carbohydrates to function, trust me i know the carbohydrate of everythin because thats how i decide on how much insulin to give, you dont need to do this .... just give yourself a break, and take as much advice as you can from your gp, nurse, etc xxxx

You are so good to help me Claire, much appreciated. I am aiming mainly at cutting out the snacking, which in my case almost always tends to be sweet stuff. I also have multiple allergies, which include whole grains, so cannot eat wholemeal bread etc. This is roughly my days menu, would you mind telling me what you think and adding any suggestions that could improve things?

Breakfast - 2 small slices of 'light' bread toasted, scrape of low fat spread and a little jam. Cup of tea.
Mid morning - small banana
Lunch - Egg and ham salad with 2 small new potatoes and low cal dressing. Dish of strawberries
Mid aft - usually nothing but if really hungry an apple.
Dinner - Steamed basmati rice, home-made chicken tikka (marinated in low fat yogurt and curry paste) cooked fat free in halogen cooker. Salad and home made mint yogurt dip. 1 glass red wine

What do you think, is that about right? Would really appreciate your thoughts.

You are so good to help me Claire, much appreciated. I am aiming mainly at cutting out the snacking, which in my case almost always tends to be sweet stuff. I also have multiple allergies, which include whole grains, so cannot eat wholemeal bread etc. This is roughly my days menu, would you mind telling me what you think and adding any suggestions that could improve things?

Breakfast - 2 small slices of 'light' bread toasted, scrape of low fat spread and a little jam. Cup of tea.
Mid morning - small banana
Lunch - Egg and ham salad with 2 small new potatoes and low cal dressing. Dish of strawberries
Mid aft - usually nothing but if really hungry an apple.
Dinner - Steamed basmati rice, home-made chicken tikka (marinated in low fat yogurt and curry paste) cooked fat free in halogen cooker. Salad and home made mint yogurt dip. 1 glass red wine

What do you think, is that about right? Would really appreciate your thoughts.

I think your diary sounds perfect ... it is a real shame you cannot eat whole grains .... what about oats? porridge for breakfast would be a fab idea as its slow release carbs so would help keep your blood sugars steady throughout the morning (ive just realised porridge is a whole grain so ignore that, unless you can eat porridge ) ...... adding in lots of vegetables i would also recommend ... snack on fruit but just be careful not to eat too much as it can raise your blood sugars quite high (esp grapes, melon and banana) ... but dont cut out fruit, i think what your having is perfect .... ive always been taught that if you wanna eat sweet foods, eat it after your meals so the range of food your eating balances out. Ive always been taught not to snack too, as its another job for your body to get rid of the extra carbohydrate (fruit is fine tho, esp apples and oranges, etc ) Keep up your hard work, your doing well :D

Thanks Claire, I'm glad you think it's ok. I think I could up the veggies a bit, salad once a day is enough really, so tonight I will have cooked veg for a change.

I see the doctor on 13th of June and am really hoping to have shifted a stone by then! I think it's doable.

Definitely doable !!! and itll help your insulin resistance too, as the reason why your borderline diabetes is due to the fact that your body isnt using the insulin produced, effectively enough .... i recon if you keep up the good work, you'll be fine .... Can i also add that if you allow stress to get to you too much, it raises your glucose levels, so dont let this scare stress you out too much, just take each day as it comes ... :)

I am so stressed! I seem to have been reacting badly to eveything for a while.

I lost my Dad in January 2010, after several very difficult years of watching him become blind and depressed. I was very much the supporter for both him and my Mum. I am still struggling to come to terms with losing him, even though i know I did all i could and that he had really had enough of everything.

One of the last things he said to me was 'look after your Mum for me' of course i promised I would and I have been driven to do exactly that. For at least the first year i was with everyday, now am down to 4-5 times a week and daily phone calls, she leans on me very heavily at times and I worry about her a lot, she will be 90 in July and is 7 years post heart valve replacement, so has health issues too. Additionally I have two businesses with my DH and employ 38 people, which delivers up a fair bit of stress itself. Then we still have 2 kids out of 4 at home and now these health problems, most particularly my osteo+inflamatory arthritis and possible diabetes, to contend with. I need to calm down but i don't know how. The thought that stress could make things worse stresses me out!

Any ideas Claire, is there anything I can do to change how I manage my life?

I am so stressed! I seem to have been reacting badly to eveything for a while.

I lost my Dad in January 2010, after several very difficult years of watching him become blind and depressed. I was very much the supporter for both him and my Mum. I am still struggling to come to terms with losing him, even though i know I did all i could and that he had really had enough of everything.

One of the last things he said to me was 'look after your Mum for me' of course i promised I would and I have been driven to do exactly that. For at least the first year i was with everyday, now am down to 4-5 times a week and daily phone calls, she leans on me very heavily at times and I worry about her a lot, she will be 90 in July and is 7 years post heart valve replacement, so has health issues too. Additionally I have two businesses with my DH and employ 38 people, which delivers up a fair bit of stress itself. Then we still have 2 kids out of 4 at home and now these health problems, most particularly my osteo+inflamatory arthritis and possible diabetes, to contend with. I need to calm down but i don't know how. The thought that stress could make things worse stresses me out!

Any ideas Claire, is there anything I can do to change how I manage my life?

Its sooo hard isnt it? You do have an awful lot on your plate ..... the only way i think you can possibly de-stress (because i dont think its physically possible to cut stress out with your circumstances) is to take time out and have 'You time' ... so take yourself off for an hour, and do something you really enjoy but make it apparent to everyone your going and do not want disturbing..... this then will help balance out that overactive need to stress, obviously your mother is very important, but at the end of the day your caring for her and therefore she is in the best hands, you cant really be stressing over the future, what will be, will be .... and im sure she wouldnt oppose of you wanting some 'you time' every now n then ...... As for people at home, do they help out? if not, you need help more now than ever esp if your going to concer the diabetes side of it all ... Barb you sound like an amazingly strong woman, and i admire you alot ... Im 25, work as a high dependancy nurse but have no kids and i struggle with stress so i really really admire you ... now, get planning on what your going to do ..... i know its not the least stressful thing to do, but i enjoy a good fast pace netball match to relieve my stress, its what i do .. its mine .... you need to think of ways to find your time too ... i hope im helping .... i dont ever think that you can get rid of stress, i just think you can find ways to manage it easier :) sending all my love xxx

Back