Unavoidable chinese - HELP!!

lucy4loop

Silver Member
As the title says, I have an unavoidable visit to a chinese restaurant on Saturday. It's a set meal so I won't be able to choose something, and there will be the full 3 courses of starters and meal. It's with my parents, who I don't really want to go into the ins and outs of Atkins with, but really don't want to eat off-plan. It is a real event and big treat for them, I don't want to hurt their feelings or make a big issue. I guess I can avoid the starter courses "saving myself for the main", avoid the rice, but all the sauces! I know it sounds silly making such a fuss, but I know from past experience that when I've strayed from whatever diet plan I'm following I find it so hard to get back in control, and I've had no problems so far. I guess this is one of those situations I'm going to have to deal with, but chinese just seems about the hardest food to stay low-carb with. Any thoughts welcome!

Ok. If there is a lot of sauce then try and scrape it off the meat, veg, etc. Give the excuse that your tummy is a bit delicate or something. Also drink water like it is going out of fashion! This will help flush any bad stuff through and help fill you up. Try taking some legal snacks along with you so that you don't feel hungry and then pig out on bad stuff. Hide them in your handbag or something.
Good luck and have a nice evening. :)

Do you know what the set menu is or do they have a website?

If so, google the carbs in each dish. A lot of dishes aren't too bad. Satay chicken, ribs if you scrape the sauce off, mushroom/meat foo yung, chicken and mushrooms/cashews.

Good luck.

Maybe you could try getting off a non set menu if it's available, it would just make it easier on you :)

Maybe you could try getting off a non set menu if it's available, it would just make it easier on you :)

It's only the 4 of us there - I don't want to make a big thing, in fact I don't want to draw attention at all! I'm sure I'll manage, and if it takes a day or two to undo any damage then that will be ok too. It's just life, isn't it?! There will be situations like this cropping up occasionally - it's how I handle them and the aftermath that counts :) Thanks for all the suggestions - I had been feeling a little panicky!

It's only the 4 of us there - I don't want to make a big thing, in fact I don't want to draw attention at all! I'm sure I'll manage, and if it takes a day or two to undo any damage then that will be ok too. It's just life, isn't it?! There will be situations like this cropping up occasionally - it's how I handle them and the aftermath that counts :) Thanks for all the suggestions - I had been feeling a little panicky!

Yeah you're right I'm sure if you just eat plenty of speed foods on the following days it'd be fine :D

Back