Understanding bra sizes

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by Dancing, 23 February 2008 Social URL.

1. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

Now I know why I still take the same cup size even though the size of my back is decreasing and my boobs are smaller than they were when I started the diet!!!

(This is taken from figleaves)

How bra sizes work

It’s important to understand that the band size and the cup size work together. One of the most common misconceptions is that a D cup is always bigger than a C or B cup. In fact, a bra’s cup size is dependent on its band size – so a 32D holds the same volume as a 34C but is actually smaller than a 38B.

What does this mean in practice? Well, if, for example, you are currently wearing a 36DD and you want to go down a band size but keep the same cup, you will need a 34E, not a 34DD, to accommodate your breasts.

If, on the other hand, you are wearing the correct band size but wish to try a different a cup size, all you need to do to is move up or down a letter size. (This is why it is a good idea to establish your correct band size first before moving on to the cups.)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. x-Katie-x

x-Katie-x Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st7lb
    Current Weight:
    11st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    6st1lb(34.69%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    These things totally lose me - they're just not understandable at all!

4. bexnkev

bexnkev Silver Member

Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    me too!!! :eek:

5. Miss_Bettany

Miss_Bettany Full Member

I just go to bravissimo!

6. Kellie=]

Kellie=] Silver Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    I used to be a bra fitter- if you go down on the back- u go up a cup size. just cos ur back has shrunk-doesnt mean ur boobs have.
    Ie... If your a 34C- and u loose 2 inches on ur back- you go to a 32 D.
    Simple!
    hehe xxx

7. bexnkev

bexnkev Silver Member

Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Kellie... help me! I was a 48d, I've lost 6 inches off me back and don't know what size I is!!! Just guessing at the mo with what I have in my draw!!!:eek:

8. Kellie=]

Kellie=] Silver Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    If you was a 48 and you have lost 6 inches- Id say your now a 42- but could get away with a 40- depending on what dress size your in? I couldnt say what cup size you would be but id say try a 40 DD or E!
    Do it up on the loosest and it might feel a bit tight atm but u will soon be in it =]
    if u put a tape measure underneath ur bust what do you measure bex?
    xxxx

9. x-Katie-x

x-Katie-x Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st7lb
    Current Weight:
    11st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    6st1lb(34.69%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    Oh Kellie I'm sure we can all keep you busy with this - you'll be sorry you told us when we're all a'boob'measuring tomorrow ;)

10. silhouettes

silhouettes Silver Member

Please remember everyone that you also loose weight from your boobs too. This information only works if you have NOT lost anything from your boobs. e.g i started at a 38 H I am now a 32G because my weightloss has come from my ribs and my boobs.

sil

11. ladylite

ladylite Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Oh dear, I cant even work a computer to how the hell am I gonna work this lot out.:eek:

I am just doing the same as Bex at the mo. Using old bras that got too tight. Think I will go to a shop with a "Kellie";) in it later and get measured properly.

Food for thought though aint it.:eek:

Mini likes this.
  12. Blonde Logic

Blonde Logic Yes. You can.

Start Weight:
    258lb
    Current Weight:
    228lb
    Goal Weight:
    168lb
    Lost(%):
    30lb(11.63%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    Trinny and Suzane did a show about bras, and it was amazing justhow many women were wearing the wrong sizes!!! It will be good to go get a proper fitting as I have never had one!!! Always guessed, but never find them comfy. They are the first thing to go when I walk through the doors. Get in, ned the the girls out! hehe

Let me clarify - those would be MY doors, not just anybodys or anywhere! :D

Mini likes this.
  13. dalite

dalite Full Member

my boobs have gone so flat i have to roll them up from my knees and stuff them in my bra all you women out there beware four children does not promote "jordan" boobies

Mini likes this.
  14. bexnkev

bexnkev Silver Member

Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    I think I might go and have em measured out of curiosity!
    lol @ Dalite!!

15. Kellie=]

Kellie=] Silver Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    yeah go and get fitted into a new bra girls- treat urselves =] Im going to next week!
    You will be amazing at how a good fitting bra makes you look so much slimmer.
    And silhouettes as a general rule ur back shrinks before your boobs do most of the time- but not all the time.
    =] xxxxxx

16. Blonde Logic

Blonde Logic Yes. You can.

Start Weight:
    258lb
    Current Weight:
    228lb
    Goal Weight:
    168lb
    Lost(%):
    30lb(11.63%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    Where can you get our size bras though? M&S only have teeny tiny ikkle ones.

Not for us, ah-hem, more curvascious lovelys! :)

I would be too embarassed to do it now!! Still too many rolls and rather lack luster boobies (hoping they perk up, just a wee bit!! (Hey - do they make a SlenderTone boob belt? ;):D )

17. Frejja

Frejja Silver Member

Yeh I feel great with my new bras

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Kellie=]

Kellie=] Silver Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    BL- thats where ur wrong! hehe. I bra- fitted for M&S for 4 years.
    They go up to back size 44- and cup size G. You can generally work out what back size u are by ur clothes size (there abouts)
    14- 36
    16-38
    18-40
    20-42
    22-44
    Thats just a general rule that I follow as a guide. So if your a 12- still try a 36 and if your a 24 still try a 44. If that makes sense?
    lol.
    xxxxxxxxx

20. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

i get mine from M&S but going to get some from figleaves and bravissimo now

21. Madam Mimm

Madam Mimm Full Member

Diet:
    LighterLife
    I went with a friend to Rigby & Peller last week (If it's good enough for Her Majesty, it's good enough for me!)
    I have lost about 7 & half stone, & had absolutely no idea what size I should be wearing. I bought a couple of bras at Christmas, without being fitted. I bought 36DD & 36D. I wore one of them to Rigby & Peller last week. I came out of Rigby & Peller wearing a size 30E!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.
    Yes, my jaw was on the floor (next to the boobs) I have to say, the moment the new bra went on, it felt heaps better. My clothes fit better too.
    I would recommend a decent bra fitting to everyone, not just those of us who have lost weight. My friend incidentally, has not lost weight, because she's dead skinny anyway. She has always worn a 36/38 A or B. She came out wearing a 32DD! Just goes to show!
    Do it ladies! It is SOOOO worth it!

22. x-Katie-x

x-Katie-x Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st7lb
    Current Weight:
    11st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    6st1lb(34.69%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    Wow a 30E - well there's a big difference there to when you went in! Great that you can see the difference though.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.