Unexpected weight gain while on SW. Any ideas?

Hi all. :) I've lurked here for a long time, time to come out of the shadows. :)

I first started SW Jan 2011, and I lost 2.5 st as of August last year. I then went off the boil! Re-joined a few weeks ago, delighted to have found that I had managed to keep nearly 2st off. I've lost each week, WI is on Mondays. Since Monday my scales show me 3lbs up. :eek: I know we're not supposed to weigh at home, but I can't help myself, and I've worked out that my scale is about .5lbs up from group so use it to judge my progress. But 3lbs?? :(

I have stuck carefully to plan. There are only two things I can think of, but I wanted to get an opinion on whether these could cause such a gain:

1. Too much fruit - On an average day I'm eating about 100g Blueberries, 100g Strawberries, a banana, a satsuma and an apple. Is this too much?
2. Quorn - last Sunday I made a chilli no carne. I had it for about 3 meals at the beginning of the week. I did feel a bit constipated yesterday, took a Senakot, feel much better today. However, still 3lbs too fat! :)

I drink a lot of water, I'm not due my period, and I just can't think of anything else that would cause this. I'm ok when I'm losing, even if it's just a little bit, but things like this make me give up (I am a terrible quitter!). Any help would be much appreciated. :) Thank you. xxx

I'm glad you decided to come out of the shadows - howdy!!

This is why I stopped weighing during the week, sometimes I would weigh heavier for no reason at all, I'd worry about it all week, by the time i got to group it was for no reason at all! I imagine it will be a side-effect of your constipation if anything. If you've been following the plan like you say you have, you'll see a loss on monday. Just don't let it get in your head and start to sabotage!! That's when things start to go horribly wrong.

Let me know how you get on! x

If you've been 100% on plan then a gain will come off the following week or at the very least a few weeks later, it could be water retention, time of the month, a number of things, but you know yourself as you've done so well on the plan so far that it does work. There is no way you've gained 3lbs of fat if you've been 100% on plan, don't worry it will be something hiding your loss

Hi Clairex & donna - thanks for your responses. :) I know I can't possibly have put on that much, and I need to just stick it out for this week. You're both absolutely right I know! I suppose it's not the end of the world if I show a gain this week, as long as it shows the week after. I think I was just very worried that I had done something wrong, but I've been very careful to use my diaries. I found once I stopped doing that last year it all started to go wrong. Everything that goes in my big fat gob is being counted, so apart from eating a lot of fruit and veg (I'm veggie so following Green) I relly should be 100%. Our consultant does have some of my food diaries, and she hasn't mentioned any issues, I have to take that as a positive. :p

Thank you both for your thoughts, it's made me a feel a little bit more relaxed - got to keep things in perspective. :)

Senokot makes me heavier for a day or so afterwards, must be water retention or something

If you're really concerned, try posting a food diaries and get the experts to tell you what they think. :)

Hi Dust Queen :) That's interesting, I better leave it alone for now then! I think I'm alright in that department now (as it were). I weighed myself this morning (I know, very naughty!) and was back to my pre-WI in weight on Monday. I'm hoping that this is a sign that whatever was upsetting my system has started to go away. Fingers crossed. :D

If you're really concerned, try posting a food diaries and get the experts to tell you what they think. :)

I may do that actually. It would at least put my mind at ease that I'm doing the right thing and not sabotaging myself with anything dodgy. :)

dreamwatch said:
Hi Dust Queen :) That's interesting, I better leave it alone for now then! I think I'm alright in that department now (as it were). I weighed myself this morning (I know, very naughty!) and was back to my pre-WI in weight on Monday. I'm hoping that this is a sign that whatever was upsetting my system has started to go away. Fingers crossed. :D

I usually find the couple of days after I take it my weight is inflated but then it goes I assume it's water etc.

Well, weight today is up again, so it doesn't look too good for WI tomorrow. I have 2 weeks of diaries to take with me, so hoping if I'm going wrong somewhere my consultant can point me in the right direction. I will let you all know what she says tomorrow. :)

HI dreamwatch, if I was you I would ditch the scales for a while. Difficult I know, but they can mess with your head unnecessarily. You will do this but she will probably tell you the only weigh in which counts is the one in group! Good luck I am sure you will get a good result tomorrow. Let us know please

i weight myself all the time too so understand why you do - but try not to obsess over it. I think the reason it can affect your weight gain and here is why i think so...

you need to drink plenty of fluids to maintain a healthy diet (not only does it make you know when ur hungry as opposed to thirsty).
if your weighing yourself you want it to be as low as possible so you get into a routing of drinking and wanting to wee it out weighing. you think you better weigh before breakfast (and are conscious more on what your eating, e.g. your over analysing the fruit). I think consipation can be caused by not enough fluids - and if ur trying to wee it out then its not having the same effect.

Personally i think your fruit intake seems fine. Obviously you should be having the fruit instead of other snacks as opposed to 'as well as'. i probs eat the same amount.

and I live on chilli - not with quorn tho, if your adding plenty of veg to it (i add tomatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms, corgette and carrot) as well as mince and kidney beans. i make a huge that serves 6 (ish). i serve it with rice - normally about 50g dry weight per person... and some finely grated parmazan.

How much are you having of the rice... yes its free but think if your having 75g or something you might be better having more chilli and less rice.

How much are you having of the rice... yes its free but think if your having 75g or something you might be better having more chilli and less rice.

Hi Geordie_lass :) I actually had it without rice. I'm a bit scared of carbs, they seem to just completely stick to me (I have PCOS). Hmmm... maybe I'm not eating enough carbs? :-/

I will certainly log on tomorrow and let you know how it goes. :)

Maybe ur not eating enough. There is a lot of arguments abt it but I personally think that if ur not eating enough calories ur body retains some. Am not saying ur not am just giving u another potential reason.

For example imagine u had for breakfasts 2 weetabix, skimmed milk and an Apple - that's probs 300 cals.

Say for lunch u had a salad - with 3 pieces of ham (salad in itself is quite low) so maybe 250 cals in total.

Dinner maybe ur quorn chilli, say abt 300 cals and as ur not adding rice and quorn is lower than beef.

I know ur having fruit but even if ur having 200 cals of fruit u might not be eating enough

Don't get me wrong, SW is not abt calorie counting but its worth every so often thinking about.

Hi everyone! Right, had WI, lost 1/2lb. to be honest after what I've seen on the scales in the past week I can't complain too much, but I am a bit cross. I've left my diaries with the consultant and she's going to give me a bell in the week if she sees anything wrong. For the week ahead I'm planning to leave off the Quorn to see if that helps. i am going to try and keep off the scales, it definitely messes with my head and it's doing me no favours.

Thanks all for your help, you've kept me sane for the last few days. :D xxx

Half a pound loss is definitely better than a gain.:)

Good luck this week, I expect u will have a better week :)

geordie_lass21 said:
Half a pound loss is definitely better than a gain.:)

Good luck this week, I expect u will have a better week :)

Thank you. :) I do hope so! :D

If you are scared of carbs, you don't eat meat and you're cutting out quorn - what do you eat apart from fruit and veg?!

I am wondering if you're eating enough. Do you eat plenty of pulses? Eggs? What do you use your syns on?

If you are scared of carbs, you don't eat meat and you're cutting out quorn - what do you eat apart from fruit and veg?!

I am wondering if you're eating enough. Do you eat plenty of pulses? Eggs? What do you use your syns on?

^^ This. In spadefuls. If you are doing green you are already cutting out the majority of your protein intake. It is possible to do veggie red days, but they can make you quite hungry. Ignore what you think you know about carbs, and EAT them. They are the basis of the green plan.

Back