Unhealthy relationship with food...

Hello everyone...

I am sure I am not alone on this, I have a a very unhealthy relationship with food.
I have battled with my weight for years.. and I am finally only a stone away from my goal.
But I seem to just over indulge too much.. eat like I think I will never eat again and make myself feel ill and then just do it again. I just want to be able to enjoy nice things in moderation and stop the whole.. 'I am dieting tomorrow so I should stuff my face' I gain a few pounds then drop them again.
Just wanted to know what people do and how to get a better relationship with food. I feel so sick and bloated right now but still feeding my face..
Please help

Amanda :)

Hey Amanda

Congratulations on your loss so far! one stone to go - yay!

Done the "last meal" before a diet sooo many times and completely know where you are coming from.

I am now working my way towards a healthier me and personally the only thing that did it for me was the diet i picked. I think that's what it boils down to for a lot of us. With Dukan I can stuff my face (with the lean low fat protein foods), not feel guilty and still loose weight every week. Now and then I make allowances for eating out (such as Nandos or Chilis) which isnt strictly Dukan and it hasnt affected my loss and i dont feel deprived. Also what helped me is that there are loads of dessert recipes in the plan and all my sweet cravings are easily sated. I honestly dont feel like i am 'dieting'.

Just my two cents...

Whatever you decide - all the best! :)

Hi. I am an emotional eater too and do the blow out day before the diet starts....except it never starts and I just blow out every day. :(
You are a stone from goal. That is amazing!

Hi. I am an emotional eater too and do the blow out day before the diet starts....except it never starts and I just blow out every day. :(
You are a stone from goal. That is amazing!

That made me laugh for some reason and is so unbelieveably true. There is also the bit where you have a terrible weekend and start on the Monday. Come Tuesday you break the diet and think "Oh well, diet ruined for the week I might as well eat what I want for the rest of the week and start again on Monday".

Hello everyone...

I am sure I am not alone on this, I have a a very unhealthy relationship with food.
I have battled with my weight for years.. and I am finally only a stone away from my goal.
But I seem to just over indulge too much.. eat like I think I will never eat again and make myself feel ill and then just do it again. I just want to be able to enjoy nice things in moderation and stop the whole.. 'I am dieting tomorrow so I should stuff my face' I gain a few pounds then drop them again.
Just wanted to know what people do and how to get a better relationship with food. I feel so sick and bloated right now but still feeding my face..
Please help

Amanda :)

I guess the point for me that really hit home was that I am not "on a diet", I am making a lifestyle change. I may be following a diet plan (which can be deemed to technically "on a diet") but what I am actually doing is making a concious decision to cut my food relationship completely using a food substitution diet and gradually rebuild. A lot of it is finding a diet that changes your perspective on what the meaning is to "dieting". It's a tool to lose weight but it's not a weight mangement solution in the long term.

I am sure you know all of these things but it is this change in perspective that has prevented me from the "I am dieting tomorrow so I should stuff my face" mentality. One meal off is exactly that!!! I can still eat until I am ill, don't get me wrong...the capability is still there but the new food relationship has helped curb that.

I am sure you know all of these things but it is this change in perspective that has prevented me from the "I am dieting tomorrow so I should stuff my face" mentality. One meal off is exactly that!!! I can still eat until I am ill, don't get me wrong...the capability is still there but the new food relationship has helped curb that.

I couldn't have put this any better. So many times I did the "binge today, diet tomorrow thing" and would promise myself that this was the last time I would ever stuff my face with all the delicious food - yeah right! It is really a frame of mind thing, you have to find something you can maintain forever, or at least the majority of the time.

Two points I'd like to make:-

1) Don't punish yourself on some fad diet that makes you miserable. You'll just rebel and eventually binge. Eat in a way you're proud of and that includes the healthy things you enjoy eating (i.e. I would never previously have eaten bananas whilst trying to lose weight because of how they've been "demonised" - how ridiculous, I love bananas!). You will on occassion eat too much / the "wrong" things - this happens to everyone, even skinny people, it doesn't mean you've ruined your diet at all. Remember it takes 3500kcals of OVEREATING (on top of your daily recommended calories) to gain just 1lb!

2) Forget the "all or nothing" mentality. Losing weight and looking after your health is a constant thing - you're body doesn't hear the promises that you'll be good tomorrow! Also, eating lots of high-fat, high-sugar, high-carb food (basically all the good stuff lol) will put you on a massive comedown the next day and you'll more than likely feel tired, depressed and craving all the junk again. Moderation is a wonderful thing.

Good luck xx

Back