Consolidation Various Q's

soshbfly

Silver Member
Just some questions for Dukandebut, Anja, and Laura about Conso stuff:
  • Did you watch your calories and if so, did you try to keep them just a bit under and that's how you continued to lose? I'm on myfitnesspal.com already and changed my goals now that I'm on Conso. Just wondering how closely you followed calorie intake.
  • Same vein... what about carbs? Any need to count them now? I was keeping under 60g a day to remain in ketosis - now it seems moot?
  • Did you take your wholemeal bread allowance each day? I don't think I want to do, but not sure if its part of the "plan".
  • Do you still get the allowed 2 x tolerated items every day?
  • Did you start changing the way you cooked food at all (like maybe using EV Olive Oil sometimes?)
  • Did you "skip" your celebration meals at all? I don't plan to have unless truely needed (out for a meal or no control over what's being served). Is it a required part of the program to have one non-Dukan meal a week, every week?
Okay, that's all I have just now. Planning out my meals for the coming week and it just got me thinking.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello, fellow Consolidator! :D

Here are my answers. Hope they'll be of help.

1) I don't really pay much attention to counting calories as I don't think that's so important on Dukan - it's more a question of what you eat (ie, still heavier on protein and lighter on carb than normal). However, Jo did persuade me to join myfitnesspal and I found it quite enlightening. Discovering how many calories are contained in just one of my chocolate brownies :eek: was extremely effective at convincing me not to overdo them!

I still complete my daily info on myfitnesspal but it's only out of interest and I don't actually try to keep at or under the recommended calorie level. In fact, gala days can take the calorie level to scary heights, whilst my PP day is usually 200-300 below target. I reckon that it kind of levels itself out in the end.

2) Again, I've never kept a count of carbs consumed. All I've done is to follow the Dukan rules as strictly as possible throughout Attack and Cruise. I also started do this strictly during Conso but increased my daily bread ration to 55-60g in the end because I kept on losing too much weight.

So I don't think you need to actually count them (as you say, you're no longer likely to be in ketosis), but try sticking to the recommended rations, increasing only if (like me) it becomes necessary due to continued and unwanted weight loss.

3) I do take my wholemeal bread ration every day (apart from PP days, obviously), but I know that both Laura and Anja sometimes substitue theirs for another form of carb. (Try reading their diaries for inspiration on this if you're not a big fan of bread.) It is very important, however, to eat the equivalent amount of recommended type of carb (eg, wholemeal, etc) because we need to slowly re-introduce it to our diet - otherwise, we'll pile on loads of weight again when we do start eating carbs (relatively) normally again in Stab.

4) I don't know about the level of tolerated items during Conso, embarrassingly enough! :eek: All I can tell you is that I do have the occasional tolerated item and it hasn't done me any harm. I'd advise trying not to overdo them, particularly at first, and you can always cut back on them if you get into difficulties.

5) For me, an important factor of this diet has been re-educating myself in preparing food using as little fat and sugar as possible. Particularly during Conso, you need to stick to PVs and PPs (with the exception of the allowed new rations) as before. Best not to overdo things, especially whilst your body is still adjusting to all of the food re-introductions.

In theory, I suppose that you could add a bit of oil, etc, during gala meals - but, from a personal point of view, I think it's a great idea to get into good practices. So I cook my galas using as little fat as possible. I do use EV olive oil for gala meals, but I just put a small dash in my frying pan, heat it up, and then wipe it around the pan to lightly coat and remove most of it.

6) It's extremely important not to skip a gala meal (remember, it's 1 per week fo the first half, then 2 per week for the second half of the Conso phase). After all, we need our bodies to get used to eating more normally - otherwise, the shock of eating extra calories once Conso is over will just result in us piling those pounds back on again. Slowly but surely, it's a question of preparing for Stab so that our bodies can maintain the loss whilst eating in a much more normal way.

Well done, Jess, you've done brilliantly! Welcome to conso:D.

Just some questions for Dukandebut, Anja, and Laura about Conso stuff:
  • Did you watch your calories and if so, did you try to keep them just a bit under and that's how you continued to lose? I'm on myfitnesspal.com already and changed my goals now that I'm on Conso. Just wondering how closely you followed calorie intake.
I didn't count calories and still don't. I did check myfitnesspal out of interest to chart the PP Thursday - very low in calories (1000 or less) and PV conso days (about 1600 with a gala, I think) but I don't do it reguarly, can't see that it would do any harm though if it's something you do anyway.
  • Same vein... what about carbs? Any need to count them now? I was keeping under 60g a day to remain in ketosis - now it seems moot?
You won't be in ketosis once on conso but I don't think carb intake goes much over 100gr. I will check mine for today and get back to you:).
  • Did you take your wholemeal bread allowance each day? I don't think I want to do, but not sure if its part of the "plan".
I changed the bread to rice cakes/bread alternately quite quickly. I was getting bloated, am better now, but still limit bread - have rice cakes, ryvita-type things, the odd oatcake.
  • Do you still get the allowed 2 x tolerated items every day?
I didn't use the tolerated items too much - for rhubarb and custard mainly, so PP days (but not a good idea once on stab, so maybe try not to rely too much on them)
  • Did you start changing the way you cooked food at all (like maybe using EV Olive Oil sometimes?)
No, that's one thing husband and I have both kept - Dukan ways of cooking. No oil for cooking (but a little in the salad dressing if we fancy it).
  • Did you "skip" your celebration meals at all? I don't plan to have unless truely needed (out for a meal or no control over what's being served). Is it a required part of the program to have one non-Dukan meal a week, every week?
Yes - once a week for the first half (and one carb portion too) then 2 of each in the second half. You don't have to make them as 'gala-esque' as he suggests though. I had proper porridge with loads of dried fruit for my first gala meal - and a banana. Fruit is what I missed most on phase I and II. Just to point out, you don't need apero, starter, main, pud, wine each time.

Okay, that's all I have just now. Planning out my meals for the coming week and it just got me thinking.

The best way of thinking about conso (for me) is that it's just cruise with a few extras. Likewise with stab, just conso with a few extras! I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jess - carb intake yesterday was 175gr. I don't think I'd usually have that much though - non-Dukan breakfast, lunch - OK carbs-wise, but a small piece of birthday cake - and a mint humbug! mid-afternoon (wouldn't usually have that). Otherwise, as usual, so maybe 140 per day on a typical day.

Last edited:
Thank you so much - this is absolutely perfect in clearing up some questions about how to move forward!! I've already planned most of this week (with the exception of gala meal - but of course that's easy to accommodate :)).

I suspected as much about the reintroduction of carbs/gala meals - I mean the purpose is to slowly acclimate our body to different foods... if I don't put those extra foods in my body, it ain't acclimating!!! :eek:

DD, I don't have a sweet tooth (unless it's monthly cravings:sigh:) so that probably saved me on gala days!

My first gala is just 5 days away (dinner out with friends who eat well).

I'll probably take one look at the menu and wimble - I'm not sure I can bring myself to eat desert anymore! Not without obsessing about the sugar content!

ooooh Atropos - you're at target!! WELL DONE YOU!!

Tell me about this gala meal... are you in Conso now?

<actually, perhaps in your diary would be better...>

My first gala is just 5 days away (dinner out with friends who eat well).

I'll probably take one look at the menu and wimble - I'm not sure I can bring myself to eat desert anymore! Not without obsessing about the sugar content!

Wimble? I love that! Hope you don't mind if I purloin your new verb from now on. :D

I keep reminding myself that Conso is all about getting our bodies used to eating normally - which, for me, means the occasional dessert. So I shove mine down my gob without guilt and enjoy every single calorie.

Enjoy your gala dessert - don't wimble, Atropos! :D

and there's Louise too... she chooses to stay away and posts sporadically that she's in trouble on Conso (see her diary in diary section - the only place she posts these days alas), so if we can persuade her to come back into the fold...

It's great to have a gang - this shift to conso is oddly nerve-wracking!

I know! (And I've already got the oatbran thing messed up)

And now I can't think of ways to eat two slices of bread that don't seem wrong. Utterly and completely wrong.

Like a dry-fried egg, mushroom and cheese toasted sandwich.
How utterly wrong does that sound? : )

Like a dry-fried egg, mushroom and cheese toasted sandwich.
How utterly wrong does that sound? : )

It sounds blooming delicious! That's one I'll definitely be trying, Atropos! :D

Once you get over the fear of the unknown, you'll all think that Conso is the best thing since sliced wholemeal bread. ;)

Once you get over the fear of the unknown, you'll all think that Conso is the best thing since sliced wholemeal bread. ;)

I think the fear is of the impulse to treat this as "the end of the diet -whoppeee, one little bag of crisps/chip supper/pint of beer can't do much damage now"

I caught myself a couple of times just before I slipped into that error when I was traveling back on the Eurostar, and on the following days.

errr ref the two slices of bread thing. have you tried weighing 40-50g wholemeal baker's bread (the sort he recommends...). Sandwich? More like "canape"!!

Well - I don't know about canape - but the bread was definitely smaller than the egg, and some egg-origami was necessary to complete the 'widge.

Back