Veg Hater

Principessa N

Minimins Addict
Can this diet be stuck to successfully by a veg hater?
I'm trying new things but I have yet to find anything new I can stomach, I'm trying to stick to green days but on my odd EE day I live off cucumber, apples and bananas as my superfree, I love sweetcorn but I no thats not superfree :( just really struggling at the mo

To be honest, SW is as much as about healthy eating as it is losing weight and fruit and veg are an essential part of a healthy balanced diet. They are recommended on all three plans now and can only help improve your losses so its worth making the effort to overcome what is essentially just another learned bad habit. Its easy to get your veggies in by making and blending soups, and blending your sauces to go along with pasta, curry, chilli etc. You can then try including very fine cut (you can buy frozen to save chopping) or grated veggies in your sauces and then gradually working up to bigger pieces over time. There are so many different veggies and different ways of cooking them that there are sure to be some that you can learn to like if you are willing to make the effort :)

There are loads of meals/recipes with hidden veg in that you could try, have a browse around the recipe section :)

I always used to hate veggies, but since starting slimming world it's got so much easier! I think it's just key to accept that there will be some veggies you don't like (I hate broccoli, carrots etc.) and also didn't like much fruit before slimming world either. As you get used to the diet you'll start wanting to try new things and also learning how to cook with those things so they are to your tastes :).

Now I eat tonnes of onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, cucumber, and I even bought oranges again last week for the first time in about 4 years lol!

tbh, if you really hate fruit and veg and if its unlikely to get any better, this prob isnt the plan for you. You would be extremely limited in your food, which will possibly leave you hungry, or you will get so bored you'll give up anyway. Its worth giving the hidden veg recipes a go, alot of recipes aimed at kids show you how to hide veg (dont mean for that to sound patronising!) and that skill will stand to you whichever plan you chose. :)

Hi I am also very fussy with veg. I like onions,mushrooms,tomatoes,carrots,cauli and love sweetcorn, and thats about it. I however, love fruit. I dont like veg mixed up and cant stomach salad at all. However, I did the red and green plans successfully, got to target and have remained so for 18 months. I find that I can mix veg up if it is blended in soups. Its worth a try, but if ee isnt for you, then do try the other plans. They do say to have plenty of veg with the red and green now as well, and I do try.I load up with fruit but trying everything like blending seems a good idea.Soups are excellent to start with as you can bung all sorts in and when blended cant taste the individual flavours and textures. Works for me! :)

Can this diet be stuck to successfully by a veg hater?
I'm trying new things but I have yet to find anything new I can stomach, I'm trying to stick to green days but on my odd EE day I live off cucumber, apples and bananas as my superfree, I love sweetcorn but I no thats not superfree :( just really struggling at the mo

If you hate veg, why on earth do green days?? Go for original or EE - you should aim for a third superfree anyway, but at least you can eat more meat rather than having to use up your HExs on it. Think outside the box with your superfree though as well - if you like bolognaise, chopped tomatoes, pasatta are superfree - add in some sliced peppers or mushrooms or both, or even bulk out with diced onion or sliced leeks you can easily make something thats a third superfree. I made a curry sauce from pasatta and spices, blended mushrooms and onions into the sauce - thicken it up and you couldn't tell by taste or texture that there was any 'veg' in it! dollop of fat free fromage frais, boiled rice and some chicken and it was at least a third superfree.

I don't like most veg - brocoli, sprouts, lettuce, cucumber, cabbage, cauliflower, or anything like that - but there's usually alternatives! Apparently aubergine makes a great red day lasagne staple instead of pasta slices but i'm not a huge fan of aubergine either!

I hate veg aswell, i find either making a soup with chicken stockcubes and any veg you have ( carrots, celery, baked beans, tomato, onion, courgette, litterally any) and naybe some pieces of chicken or extra lean meatballs hides the veggy taste really well, or a mix ofextra lean mince, bovril cubes, leeks, swede, cauliflower and onion. Basically make it as if you were making a cottage pie just with bovril and lots of different veg.

Hi! I think it's time for a bit of a shift of thinking, not all vegetables taste alike and different cooking techniques can really alter the taste and texture of your veg.

If you boil your carrots in water they're not going to give you the most amazing possible taste experience, if you throw some stock and some nice fresh or dried thyme into the water, take the lid off and let the water evaporate off until what's left is sticky glazed delicious carrots, yum. If you roast your carrots in the oven they'll taste totally different but equally delicious with the slight burnished char and the tender earthy sweetness within, delicious!
You can also count pickled veg as your superfree, how about some lip puckering sauerkraut with your low syn sausages? So good for you and a taste sensation.
The most versatile veg has got to be cauliflower, roasted with cumin and curry power, pureed for a very satisfying red day alternative to mash, steamed & served with a spritz of lemon, fresh chilli and sea salt - amazing.
Try to make an event of your veg so it's something to look forward to rather than an obligation. They're part of the SW plan because they are so low in calories and high in filling power. Have a play with them and you'll be delighted you did!

Some inspiration here: How to get the best out of vegetarian cooking | Life and style | The Guardian

Hi! I think it's time for a bit of a shift of thinking, not all vegetables taste alike and different cooking techniques can really alter the taste and texture of your veg.

If you boil your carrots in water they're not going to give you the most amazing possible taste experience, if you throw some stock and some nice fresh or dried thyme into the water, take the lid off and let the water evaporate off until what's left is sticky glazed delicious carrots, yum. If you roast your carrots in the oven they'll taste totally different but equally delicious with the slight burnished char and the tender earthy sweetness within, delicious!
You can also count pickled veg as your superfree, how about some lip puckering sauerkraut with your low syn sausages? So good for you and a taste sensation.
The most versatile veg has got to be cauliflower, roasted with cumin and curry power, pureed for a very satisfying red day alternative to mash, steamed & served with a spritz of lemon, fresh chilli and sea salt - amazing.
Try to make an event of your veg so it's something to look forward to rather than an obligation. They're part of the SW plan because they are so low in calories and high in filling power. Have a play with them and you'll be delighted you did!

Some inspiration here: How to get the best out of vegetarian cooking | Life and style | The Guardian

What a brilliant post!! You are absolutely right. There are dozens of vegetables and they are all quite different in taste and texture. I hated them until I realised that it wasn't necessary to boil them for ages - in fact, apart from potatoes, I hardly ever put a vegetable anywhere near water!!

Back