Vegetables: Fresh v frozen

SkyeGospel

New to slimming world and just wanted to check something. I know that veg is free and some 'superfree' whether it is fresh or frozen, but imam starting to see how much better economy it is to buy frozen. However I wanted to check, is there a difference as far as the nutritional value goes? Is fresh actually better for you, and if so, is there enough of a difference to justify paying the extra price?

Thanks for any advice

I think frozen tends to be better cause it's frozen fast before the vitamin levels drop. PLUS it's cheap. ;)

Great! Thanks both... That's the opposite of what I expected to hear, but I am VERY glad to hear it! Huge difference in price and I am eating about 10 times more veg than I used to!

Many thanks

Unless you grow your own then you have no idea how old veg is , and it's losing nutrition all the time. Frozen veg , and some tinned have better levels of vitamins. Plus there's no waste. I always have sprouts in! I adore sprouts!

judimac said:
Unless you grow your own then you have no idea how old veg is , and it's losing nutrition all the time. Frozen veg , and some tinned have better levels of vitamins. Plus there's no waste. I always have sprouts in! I adore sprouts!

Thanks Judi, very handy as we are quite far from the shops up here so keep running out of fresh, and can't get through to buy more. I can now fill the freezer with confidence that I'm not losing out in nutrition... And even saving at the same time!

I did think everyone would be championing for fresh but relieved to see that i'm not the only one eating frozen! I do eat ALOT of fresh too but find its far more economical to buy frozen x

It does make me wonder though... If frozen is more nutritious, more convenient and much cheaper... Why do people pay the extra for fresh? It must have something going for it other than looking good?!

Fresh generally tastes better and has better texture, but economics wins out for me?

Must remember this and buy more frozen I spend fortunes of fresh

SkyeGospel said:
It does make me wonder though... If frozen is more nutritious, more convenient and much cheaper... Why do people pay the extra for fresh? It must have something going for it other than looking good?!

I think it is purely aesthetics, people like being able to "pick" their veg in the supermarket, you never see ugly veg for sale there!

I prefer frozen veg, cosy mainly. Except Stirfry veg!

The only frozen veg I struggle with is broccoli - maybe its me but it seems to go soggy even if I'm really careful. Things like green beans, peas, sweetcorn are really good though. I've noticed a lot of supermarkets doing frozen stew packs - has anyone made veggie soup out of these just by chucking it in the pan and adding stock and some herbs? Would be interested to know as it would be such a quick option!

The only frozen veg I struggle with is broccoli - maybe its me but it seems to go soggy even if I'm really careful. Things like green beans, peas, sweetcorn are really good though. I've noticed a lot of supermarkets doing frozen stew packs - has anyone made veggie soup out of these just by chucking it in the pan and adding stock and some herbs? Would be interested to know as it would be such a quick option!

Totally agree with you on broccoli! In answer to your question I regularly use the frozen stew packs and they are great! Have put them with left over roast chicken or minced beef in the slow cooker, some stock, barley and any other veg that needs using up. Both are family favourites in our house. I love them as I hate peeling and chopping swede!

Much prefer fresh any day of the week, tastes so much better apart from peas and sweetcorn but still use frozen out of convenience at times :)

Hate frozen sprouts but actually prefer frozen green beans to fresh.
A veggie curry made with frozen veg is 'mazeballs!

I agree about the broccoli being very soggy when frozen... I also find this with frozen carrots. One thing I am loving at the moment is frozen chopped mixed peppers from Tesco's - I am throwing a good handful in just about everything! Great in things like chilli, stir-fried with chicken or whatever else just to bulk up the super frees and the flavour.

Back