Veggie low carb?

namaste

Silver Member
Hi, are there any vegetarian low carb dieters on here? I've lost weight twice now on Exante which has been great but it hasn't really solved the problem of my dreadful carb cravings once I'm eating 'normally' again. I've tried calorie counting but just seem to fall back into old habits once I start eating the traditional veggie way - wholewheat pasta, rice, veg etc. I start craving more and more carbohydrates. I think the only answer is to lose weight the low carb way. I've seen a book by Rose Elliot, The Vegetarian Low Carb Diet and wondered if anyone else has followed it. Is it as effective as Atkins?

Hi I am not vegetarian as I eat fish but some days I follow completely vegetarian diet. I have nearly finished my second week following Atkins diet. Have been eating alot of eggs, cheese, quorn products, veggie curry made with cauli, butternut squash, haven't felt hungry at all :)

The Atkins book, new Atkins new you have a section on veggie following....hanevtread it as Im not one. Hope that helps?

From new Atkins new you

Vegetarians can adapt Atkins by:
Starting in ongoing weight loss at 30g net carbs and introduce nuts and seeds before berries.
Eat sufficient eggs, cheese and soya to get ur protein.
Add extra veggie friendly oils; olive, rapeseed, walnut oil, etc to salads and veggies to make up for not getting fat from meat. V.important to ensure you do not interfere with fat metabolism.

Quorn burger- 4g net carbs
Quorn roast - 4g per 115g
Quorn unbreaded cutlet- 3g
Tofu sausage- 4g per 2 sausages
Tofu bacon- 2g per 2 rashers

ongoing weightless and beyond:
It also mentions to beware of reintroducing starchy vegetables. Think of them and pulses as side dishes rather than the main part of the meal.
Add starchy vegetables and whole grains back to your diet before higher carb fruits.
Season protein dishes with traditional seasonings not carb laden sauces.
Focus on foundation vegetables; garlic, sweet and chili peppers, chayote?, jicama?, nopales?, tomatillos, pumpkin, cauliflower, turnips and avocado.
Reintroduce starchy vegetables one by one to measure tolerance; potatoes, yams, etc.
Brown is good! Brown rice, pasta and bread etc. If you eat it, choose brown.
Use pulses low in carbs; kidney beans, black soya beans and pinto beans.
Treat all fruits as garnishes rather than major components of meals.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks so much for your replies. I'm going to do some more research and see if I can make this work for me, even if it means a slow weight loss. :)

Back