Want to try it but scared

hypno1

Hi everyone,

I am currently on the Cambridge diet and finding it pretty difficult. This is the third time in a year I have been on it. First time I lost over 2 stones, 2nd time 1 1/2 stones and this time I have been on it just 2 1/2wks and i'm really struggling already.

I am desperate to lose the weight for good this time and lose all of it. I deally I want to lose anything between 4-5 stones now.

I would like to try the diet cef but i'm scared I wont like it and scared that if it's a much slower weight loss rate then I wont stick to it. I'm one of these people who needs to see fast results to stick to things.

What is the normal weight loss rate? What have you lost? Is the diet good enough to be able to stick to it to lose as much as 4-5 stones?

Hi everyone,

I am currently on the Cambridge diet and finding it pretty difficult. This is the third time in a year I have been on it. First time I lost over 2 stones, 2nd time 1 1/2 stones and this time I have been on it just 2 1/2wks and i'm really struggling already.

I am desperate to lose the weight for good this time and lose all of it. I deally I want to lose anything between 4-5 stones now.

I would like to try the diet cef but i'm scared I wont like it and scared that if it's a much slower weight loss rate then I wont stick to it. I'm one of these people who needs to see fast results to stick to things.

What is the normal weight loss rate? What have you lost? Is the diet good enough to be able to stick to it to lose as much as 4-5 stones?

Hi Gillian - I've been on Diet Chef for 20 weeks but during that time had 2 weeks in Gran Canaria where I ate everthing I shouldn't and more, and 2 weeks at Easter where I cheated like mad. In that time I've lost 3 stone which I'm very pleased with. Have been on all sorts of diets and this for me is definitely the best.

What other diet is there that you can eat 'proper' food and still lose weight and, I probably shouldn't say this but you can cheat a bit as well. No weighing food, no calorie counting, no points, no shakes (unless you want them). You have a good choice of meals and soups so its not as if you're eating the same thing ovr and over again which is unusual for a diet.

It's best if you average only 2lbs per week weight loss as its less likely that you will put the weight back on. My loss is slightly over that and I still want to lose about another 12lbs. if you look on the QVC Diet Chef forum you will see that a lot of people have lost lots of weight, one has lost over 6.5 stones.

I'd say give it a go, what have you got to lose, except weight. Apart from here and QVC there's also a forum on the Diet Chef website. If you look at all of these i'm sure it will help you to make up your mind.

Good luck with this diet or any other diet you do.

Hi Gillian I totally agree with Sheil as said you eat proper food, and it tastes great as well. You can lose the weight and eat, but at the end of it you have learnt portion control as well, with CD you dont get that. I couldn't do Cambridge again if me life depended on it, but i like the food here so I keep going.

Give it a try nothing to lose!!!! except weight

Hi Gillian, this is just my first week but I am so glad I decided to give it a try. The meals are lovely & for a lazy, poor at guessing portion size, person like me - it is ideal.

Last edited:
Thnaks so much ladies! I soke to hubby last night and he's all for me giving it a go, he really doesn't like me being on CD although he does support me in my decision to do it.

He thinks it isn't good for my little ones to see me sitting with a shake while they all eat dinner and my eldest (3) is constantly asking me what i'm going to have for dinner as he sees i'm not eating. Dh thinks the boys might start to try and copy me by not eating.

I really desperately want to lose the weight this time and I know Cambridge is very extreme but it soes lose weight quickly and I guess I need that to give me the kick start. I really hate doing the diet though, I don't enjoy it one bit and I do find it very anti-social and a bit weird not eating anything at all really.

I have at least another week left on CD as my cdc is on holiday so I took extra to keep me going. I was really hoping to saty on CD at least until I get to overweight rather than obese, which would mean getting to 11st 11lb, that would be another 5wks on CD at least. I would then have at least another 2 1/2- 3 1/2 stones to lose after that.

Well done to youa all, you sound like you are all doing really great on the diet chef and I must admit it does sound soooo good. I really long to have a vodka in the sunshine lol!!! Can I do that on diet chef? lol

Hi Gillian, Vodka gives me heart burn but I do like white wine. I'm not having any just now, I'm 5ft 3ins & only allowed the bare 1200 Kcals on DC so thought I'd better avoid alcohol - just now anyway. I'd have thought you'd be OK with the occasional vodka, I have a friend who drank G&T throughout her WW dieting. ;)

My partner's diabetic and was advised the best alcoholic drink was Vodka and Diet Coke, because of its low sugar content... so I guess it would be the best drink to have on any diet.

I've lost 6lb in 2 weeks on DC (actually, 6lb in 6 days, but weight went up a bit then back down this week).

I have been drinking on occasion through the 2 weeks, generally red wine. I take the view that I'll allow those little cheats and only those... so I'm pretty good about sticking to the diet, earning myself my treat!

The thing about DC is that the money you spend, or a significant portion of it at least, is what you'd spend on food anyway.... and you are actually getting very tasty and healthy food for your money. So even if you didn't lose weight, you've had proper food from it rather than something that looks rather like a barium meal!

Unless you cheat a LOT, I can't see how you'd fail to lose weight on this, as it's calorie counted and, if you stick to the rules, you can't fail to expend more energy than you consume.

I have a very sedentary lifestyle (due to previous long term illness and chronic pain), and I'm losing weight on it. I'm hoping a significant weight loss will increase my energy levels and motivation to increase my activity (keen to get back on a horse after about 10 years, but don't want to have to state my weight at the moment... or even worse have the humilation of being told they don't have a horse to take my weight!)

The thing about DC is that the money you spend, or a significant portion of it at least, is what you'd spend on food anyway.... and you are actually getting very tasty and healthy food for your money. So even if you didn't lose weight, you've had proper food from it rather than something that looks rather like a barium meal!

Unless you cheat a LOT, I can't see how you'd fail to lose weight on this, as it's calorie counted and, if you stick to the rules, you can't fail to expend more energy than you consume.

I have a very sedentary lifestyle (due to previous long term illness and chronic pain), and I'm losing weight on it. I'm hoping a significant weight loss will increase my energy levels and motivation to increase my activity (keen to get back on a horse after about 10 years, but don't want to have to state my weight at the moment... or even worse have the humilation of being told they don't have a horse to take my weight!)

Hey you dont knock yourself down, I weigh more than you and up to a month ago i rode. :eek:

I know a man who is much heavier than you who works with & rides police horses. If that's what makes you happy I'm sure they'd be able to help you.

It depends on the stable, but I know smaller ones who have a weight limit of 11 or 12 stone because, if they have limited finances/stabling, they tend to favour smaller horses/ponies that are suitable to take the kids. Larger stables will probably have a cob that would be suitable, but I had progressed to a more lively thoroughbred before I had to stop riding.

I am going to Ullswater for a couple of days en route to Scotland in September and plan to go on a hack (have enquired with a stable already).

Back