Weather and our food choices

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by TwoPoundsPerWeek, 3 November 2007 Social URL.

1. TwoPoundsPerWeek

TwoPoundsPerWeek Full Member

I don't know if anyone else does this, but when it gets cold or rainy outside, I like comfort foods. I like chili, and pot roast, and pork chops. I tend to use lower fat meats and ingredients, but it seems like when the weather's foul, I eat MORE as well. And I take the leftovers to work for lunch to save money...it's an endless cycle. In the nicer months, I crave fruit, and light sandwiches, and fresh veggies and generally healthy stuff.
    What do you crave when the weather's bad?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. scotwannabethin

scotwannabethin Back to the grindstone!!

Start Weight:
    16st9lb
    Current Weight:
    16st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.15%)
    Diet:
    W8 as need to lose so I can TTC!!!
    I know what you mean. Now that the weather is getting worse and the nights are longer I am thinking of my normal cooking habits which include soup and stews and lots of warming, filling foods. In the summer it is salads made from ingredients from the garden and the like.
    I guess it probably dates back to our ancestors.

4. Conn76

Conn76 Full Member

I, too, am the same. It's like a caveman instinct to bulk up on food and body fat to see us through the winter - except that we forget about the wonders of central heating! The cold weather makes me want to have a full warm feeling in my stomach - and a chocolate milkshake just doesn't always hit the spot!

5. Miss_Bettany

Miss_Bettany Full Member

2PPW, what diet are you doing?

6. janetljones

janetljones Full Member

Start Weight:
    27st7lb
    Current Weight:
    22st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st0lb(18.18%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Please don't make me think about winter warming food, when all I've got are food packs :(

7. Miss_Bettany

Miss_Bettany Full Member

that's what I was just thinking!

8. Zomble

Zomble Full Member

I've been struggling with this too - the food packs just don't cut it, do they? But at least we can make them hot!

The only help I've found is psychology. If I had a real fire I'd light it (huddling round a radiator just isn't the same!) I light lots of candles and turn the lights off, and that somehow makes me feel better. Maybe it will do the same for you...:gen125:

9. LisaL

LisaL Full Member

Diet:
    Low Carb
    A hot drink certainly helps, but I always want soup when I'm cold! :) Thank goodness we are just about into summer here in Australia, but I do sympathise with you guys! ;)

10. TwoPoundsPerWeek

I really just keep track of my calories. I'm on about 1400 a day. But something about warm pumpkin pie and/or a big bowl of stew makes that hard to stick to. Plus there's apple cider, and eggnog, and...

Sorry. Hope I'm not making anyone hungry. lol

11. Miss_Bettany

Miss_Bettany Full Member

erm, well, yes you are!

12. TwoPoundsPerWeek

Oops, sorry! Um...soy chips...tofu...vegetarian chili...red beans and rice...

Better?

13. Miss Fenella

Miss Fenella Full Member

Bit of an obvious question but why are you posting on the LL forum if you are not doing LL? :whoopass:

14. TwoPoundsPerWeek

I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum and couldn't figure out how to move it. And then people started replying, so I left it alone.

15. Miss Fenella

Miss Fenella Full Member

Not sure if you know LL but on it you abstain from all foods for 100 days, so you can see talking about food is a bit insensitive and may cause offence!

:D

16. TwoPoundsPerWeek

Like I said, I didn't mean to. And I didn't realize what the diet was-I actually wouldn't have posted here at all except for this unintentional post, because I don't know anything about it and therefor have nothing to add to discussion. I'm sorry if I offended anyone-it wasn't my intention. My intention was to chat about weather and food choices, and I just posted it in the wrong place. I humbly request that everyone ignore this thread from now on.

17. Miss Fenella

Miss Fenella Full Member

no biggie it was obvious you didn't realise - just thought I'd explain.

Do stick around, it's good to chat x

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

I post on the CD thread all the time so I personally feel it is only fair you should be able to post on LL as well.

But fair enough that some can't read about food right now (I'm okay... the desire to lose weight is overcoming everything)

20. scotwannabethin

scotwannabethin Back to the grindstone!!

Start Weight:
    16st9lb
    Current Weight:
    16st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.15%)
    Diet:
    W8 as need to lose so I can TTC!!!
    Dancing, I am with you on that last sentiment. The desire to lose the weight is winning over the desire to "slip". No matter what is written, what I read or what I smell, although that can be tough at times!!!

21. TwoPoundsPerWeek

Good! Then I am not an a-hole, because I kind of feel like one.

22. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

twopoundsperweek. I don't think you are at all! :)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.