Wedding Buffet help!

law3a3m

Gold Member
Hi everyone,

I'm going to a wedding next Saturday and it's a buffet instead of a sit down meal. I'm planning to save the majority of my weekly syns to cover myself but I'm desperate to stay on track. I'm going to eat a nice filling, free breakfast in the morning and we're sticking to vodka and diet coke for drinks, but I have no idea what will be on the buffet. What does a typical wedding buffet usually consist of and what are the best low-syn options?

Thanks!

Hiya! I've got a wedding buffet on the 11th of August. On the invitation it says hog roast with American & Mexican style buffet so not sure what that means for me! May just stick to the pork & lots of salad. I don't have a clue what a traditional wedding buffet consists of, all the weddings I've been to have been sit down meals x

If you try and stick to chicken without skin should be ok. May be best to set your self a flexi syn amonut ( thats different from saving all ur syns) to keep you in control. Could have a soft drink or water between each alcoholic drink :) sorry cant help you more :( xx

So hard to guess as every wedding buffet is different. Just have to wait and see what is there and make the best decision at the time,

Remember though that a wedding is a special occasion, don't get too stressed about it/feel guilty. Do what you can on the day but most of all enjoy :)

I went to my OH's grandmothers party a few weeks back & there was a mini buffet - mini pork pies, ham sandwiches, biscuits the lot. I had a small plate literally - one small sausage roll, one half of a mini pork pie, 1 ham sandwich, two NICE biscuits and one tiny slither of cake. The rest of the week I was very very good & still had a small gain that week (half a pound - but I still felt so bad). My advice is, if there is healthy stuff like salad and JUST the meat on its own (unfortunately pork is one of the 'fattier' meats) - but if you can stick to the SW kind of stuff you should be ok. However, if it's the kind of food like I mentioned above at the party I went to, don't worry about it, fill your plate & just enjoy.
At the end of the day, there are going to be days (birthdays, weddings, holidays) whatever.. and we should enjoy them. So what if you have a small gain THAT week, as long as your back on plan you'll probably have a big loss the week after (I did, I gained half a pound but the next week I lost 3 and a half and the week after the same again)!! Don't let the mini gains get you down. I always look at my weight loss graph (below) Notice how OVERALL it is going down. That's the main thing. When you look closely, yeah theres a couple of gains, but overall what do you see? The line going DOWN! Just enjoy. It depends how YOU feel. If YOU feel like having a mini blowout because they have your favourite thing ever there, have it. Just be back on track with your superspeed foods and exercise the next day :) xx

I find buffets easier than sit down meals, because I can control what goes onto the plate. I was at an occasion the other day and there was a buffet but there was nothing I really wanted to eat. The sandwiches all had mayonnaise in them, which I hate, and then there were chicken drumsticks with breadcrumbs, which I also hate, and pork pies and scotch eggs. There were tomatoes and cucumber and carrot sticks, so I had some of that.

And no-one really noticed that I wasn't really eating anything! When asked, I said that I had just had a huge plateful and wouldn't want any more for a while.

I went to a wedding once where they had a buffet instead of a sit-down meal. They served a variery of hot meats (I think there was chicken, ham and maybe beef) on the bone that they carved for you so if they have that then it could be an option as if it's on the bone it won't be drowned in oil and would most likely be free. The chicken might be a bit different though so maybe avoid that. They also had different kinds of potatoes, including jacket potatoes so that could be an option too. There was loads of veg and salad aswell and I think that would be standard at any buffet so filling up on that would work too. The dinner buffet was completely different to the evening buffet (the evening one was all sausage rolls, sandwiches, quiche etc.) but the main meal one was in most pary pretty healthy so I think you should be ok. Just keep an eye on the food to make sure it's not swimming in oil or butter before you take it.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm hoping the day buffet is along the more substantial lines like jacket potatoes etc and the evening one is more of a typical buffet.
We're there all day and I'm worried about ending up starving and binging on crap. I will fill up in the morning on something free and easy lol and munch fruit prior to the ceremony. Going to look on the hotel website to see if there is a fridge available to put a fruit salad in for the morning after, as I've found pineapple to be so refreshing when I'm hungover!

Back