Week 3 - STS :'(

Bellisdaisy

I'm gutted to say the very least :(

I have stuck rigidly to the diet and it has been especially hard this week as I have been in uni and the temptations there with the other girls (who are all skinny :() eating chocolate and bread etc have been a real test to my willpower. I thought it would be so worth it when I got a good result on the scales but I have stayed the same!!!

I am very guilty of weighing daily and the weight has fluctuated all week between 13st 7.3lb and 13st 9lb! So some days I have even gained!!! I weighed today though and was 13st 8lb which is the same as last Monday and is my official weigh day.

I am wondering whether I am not eating enough and that could be the cause. I tend to have a ff vanilla yoghurt in the morning, 100g pack of cooked chicken for lunch, and some cooked chicken and steak for tea which I usually 'decorate' with some spices of some sort. On a veg day I have some mushrooms, onions and BNS with my evening meal. I also save my oatbran for the evenings so I can have a sweet treat and tend to alternate between gallete's with a vanilla youghurt or an oat bran biscuit flavoured with ginger or cinnamon. I also drink 2-3 750ml bottles of water, 1 can of pepsi max and a couple of mugs of tea.

The other cause could be TOTM? I don't know if it is though as I have the mirena coil and don't get periods. I know that the body can still behave as it would when TOTM is due though and am wondering if it could have been this week.

Has anybody else had similar problems?

:(

P.S I do my usual daily walking plus I do 2 spinning sessions and 1 boxercise session per week (spinning I have been doing for about 18 months but the boxercise is new)

Don't be disheartened, we have all sts at some point and been at a complete loss as to why. Are you measuring your oatbran correctly? What type of milk do you have in your tea? Like you said it could be TOTM symptons.

I would up your water intake and make sure that the spices etc aren't high in salt as this could cause water retention. x

Not eating enough is definately a possibility. I am a huge firm believer in that.

For instance this is my daily food for today PV day.

Breakfast

Porridge with half of bran allowances (1t Oat / .5t Wht)
Semi Milk (can't stand Skim and don't use loads)
1 tsp Sweetner
100g Rhubarb (stewed)
Coffee

Lunch
Two egg scrambled egg with
half pack Smoked Salmon Trimmings in Sauce (Quark/Yogurt/Mint/Lemon Juice - well mixed)
Dukan Bread made from remaining allowances (loaf cut to size for days allowances only)
Third portion of SF Jelly
Coffee

Even Meal
Piece of Beef cooked with fresh herbs/soy sauce/balsamic vinegar (soy is tolerated item)
Stir Fry Veg, carrotts/onion/pepper/sugarsnap Peas (6)
Jelly & Yog

Supper if hungry
Half pack of Mussells or 8 crabsticks

During the day I will have drunk 2x Coffees - 3 x Cokes - 1 Hot Choc - 2 Water = 2 litres fluid for me.

The aim of the diet is to eat until you are full, what we have to get past the mindset of, is that one piece of chicken is no longer just the meal, in the past we would have used one piece of chicken with veg and potatoes or something equivalent. The protein part of our meal now has to take the place of the starch as well, I quite often find I can't eat all of my meat now, so I tub it up and use it to snack on sometime later in the day or next day.

Look for recipes for muffins/mousse/sponge that you can make with or without the oatbran. Try to vary what you are eating. I alternate between beef/Chicken/Fish/Mince (turkey or beef) then start again. I can have days where all my meals are fish based, other days chicken, then one day could be a bit of everything. I have looked up hundreds of recipes to keep me going and interested. Google Dukan Recipes, there are loads.

As you have seen in the week there have been days when you have gained, and others when you have lost. I have found that the week of TOTM I don't do too badly, but the week after is crap. last week I only lost half a pound, this week I lost 3.5lb. Its swings and roundabouts and your body is probably a bit in shock. Give yourself chance hun, well done on sticking to it and for not giving in to temptation.

Agreed you're not eating enough protein for sure. you should aim for at least/about 2g pure protein per kilo of body weight (can somebody confirm I'm never sure). For protein content in foods look it up - a 4oz chicken breast is not 4oz protein. Add at least an egg to every meal (whites onyl if you're watching your cholesterol levels). Have a look at fish, salmon, prawns, beefburgrs (home made from extra-lean mince). Add some leafy green veg to your PV days (you need to up your fibre intake). Some STS has to do with 'transit' issues too. And cut back on pre-cooked cold meats they can have hidden sugars and starches. Add more 0% dairy. Yoghurt (the plain variety, Total 0% Greek Yoghurt is gorgeous but pricey), cottage cheese, fromage frais are your friend, good for eating on their own (sweetened for example) and also make great sauces and pretend 'mayo' when mixed with a tiny bit of mustard and seasoning.
What is the vanilla yoghurt? The onken and activia ones have too much sugar and the Muller light one should be enjoyed 'in moderation' (as you already do).
Have a look through the FAQ sticky thread at the top, and have a browse through the recipes. You're hopefully in it for the long haul and you will need to look for some variation in your menus.

Good luck - don't ever go hungry, and it will work.

Wow thanks for the replies!!

Dukanfatty your daily meal plan sounds really good and varied!!! I did have a daily breakfast of scrambled egg and salmon trimmings in my first week but I've gone right off smoked salmon now lol! I am working from home today as it is a study day so I made sure I had a breakfast and cooked a nice omlette. Only problem is - I wasn't hungry at lunchtime so I just had something to avoid skipping the meal and went for a vanilla yogurt with a sugar free jelly. The yoghurts I am using are the weigh watchers ones - are these ok?

I was going to make today a pp day (last pv was Friday) to try and kick start the weight loss but from reading through other threads I now know this is not advised so will have a look through the recipe thread again and get some ideas for something nice for tea. I have been experimenting a little bit with the recipes already and have had a chilli with BNS chips, bolognaise with cottage cheese and a korma/pasanda style curry. I'm going to go in search of a nice madras or jalfrezi style curry now to really give those taste buds a treat!!!

Scrapped the curry idea! I am having pepsi max chicken with egg fried cauliflower rice. It is on the hob now and the 'rice' is AMAZING!!!!!! Never thought it would be but I grabbed a cheap cauli from Aldi and thought what the heck!! Yummy :)

The rice recipe is below (in case it is a bit different to recipe's on here) as it is well worth making!!

[h=3]Directions[/h]
  • Grate the cauliflower using either the largest holes on a hand grater or with the grating blade in food processor. The results should almost resemble the size of cooked white rice.
  • Heat oil to cover the bottom of a small skillet on medium-high. (I just used a big frying pan!)
  • Quickly stir-fry the white of the onions and the garlic. Watch closely so as not to burn.
  • Add the cauliflower; fry about 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly until it begins to color a bit. Don't overcook or it might get mushy.
  • Stir in the soy sauce. Push the cauliflower to one side of the pan; pour in the beaten egg.
  • Lightly scramble the egg briefly then mix into the cauliflower.
  • Add the green onion tops and toss.
  • Note: add some chicken and make it a meal! (I ignored this bit as I'm having the pepsi chicken)

After TOTM I had a two week stall, now I'm losing 1lb every three days! Xx

can't get my head round cauli rice, do you boil it or just grate it?

can't get my head round cauli rice, do you boil it or just grate it?

I was like that too!! I just googled it in the end and found a recipe that only contained ingredients that I had in! For this recipe you literally just grate it and stir fry it for about 5 minutes. It is sooooo tasty though!! I am going to make it again tomorrow!! :)

I just have to say that you are doing a great job taking on Dukan while at Uni, my undergraduate days consisted of copious amounts of alcohol, crisps and pizza! Oh, and the odd lecture of course! We did all wonder how our livers coped, not too mention our waistbands. At work though I am surrounded by colleagues who seem to live on sugary foods and drinks, shudder! Luckily I'm never tempted.....luckily they never bring out the Pinot Noir and cheeseboards.

I was like that too!! I just googled it in the end and found a recipe that only contained ingredients that I had in! For this recipe you literally just grate it and stir fry it for about 5 minutes. It is sooooo tasty though!! I am going to make it again tomorrow!! :)

it sounds so easy, thats my next new attempt :)

I just have to say that you are doing a great job taking on Dukan while at Uni, my undergraduate days consisted of copious amounts of alcohol, crisps and pizza! Oh, and the odd lecture of course! We did all wonder how our livers coped, not too mention our waistbands. At work though I am surrounded by colleagues who seem to live on sugary foods and drinks, shudder! Luckily I'm never tempted.....luckily they never bring out the Pinot Noir and cheeseboards.

my first celebration meal might be cheese and biscuits with wine :)

Ooooh me too, though I doubt I'll waste tummy space on the biscuits. Oh, brie, stilton, cheddar, red leicester...how I've missed you! Oh my god, which wine should I have?!?

ooh a nice glass/bottle of rioja, ok may substitute the crackers for a chutney, or chilli jam

Back