Weekends are my downfall :-/

rollerbird

I am so good during the week, as soon as it gets to Friday night the wine comes out and it all goes wrong! On Saturday the kids and hubby always want to go to Costa and have cake, then after the kids are in bed the wine comes out again. On Sunday we go to the in-laws for dinner and she always makes fabulous roasts with irresistible homemade puddings and yet more wine! I must have counted over 100 syns already and I don't get weighed till Thursday! Any tips / kicks up the bum?

I struggle with weekends too - my housemate tends to go and stay at her fella's leaving me with free roam of the place, and I just go mental! :(

In terms of tips... if going to Costa - have the tea but leave the cake? Or have one spoonful of someone else's rather than forgoing it altogether? And get some low-alcohol and therefore low-syn wine for Sat night? There's a thread about some good ones on here somewhere if you have a search, am sure it's First Cape that does a few low-syn versions.

Yorkshire puds would be a downfall for me too, but could you just have one and maybe ask your Mother In Law beforehand whether she would mind doing you a few boiled potatoes instead of roast ones? I'm sure she'd be happy to if you explained that you want to be as healthy as possible for her son :)

Hope that helps a bit! Nic x

If you know what the danger times are then you need to plan in advance for how you are going to handle them. Go to costa but you do not need to eat the cake - take a low syn biscuit or something like a cereal bar to have with your coffee. And save some syns during the week so you can have your wine on a saturday night. Decide how many glasses you are going to have (or get the small bottles if you struggle with the idea of not finishing a bottle) and work out how many syns you need to save during the week to cover it. You need to get your husband on board to support you in sticking to this too. As for the in-laws you need to speak to your MIL about doing a SW friendly option or agree with her that you will bring some dishes yourself (sell it as helping her out of you have to) and stick to soft drinks. I dont want to sound harsh but if you want this to work at some point you have to be proactive, take control and be responsibility for what you are putting in your mouth instead of blaming other people. Unless we are hermits there are always going to be social events to deal with and the answer is always planning in advance xx

Thanks ladies. Patchpuss don't worry about sounding harsh - I need a good talking to! It's the reason you have a 5 stone award and I have none lol!
I will take your advice on board, I know I'm letting these temptations take over. I need to decide what's more important - cake or energy and confidence!
Not sure what to do about the rest of the week though, do I try to stop syns altogether, knowing that it could result in a blowout, or do I give myself say 5 a day, or do I draw a line under it and carry on food optimising as normal?

I think the best thing is to draw that line everyone talks about and start again, and know that this weeks loss might not be great but u know how to handle next weekend! Try increasing ur exercise between now and thurs too, that always helps me stay on track (no point putting myself thro a run if I'm just gonna binge) and make sure u allow itself some syns, otherwise by thurs u'll b pretty pissed off with this diet! Plus any time I just cut out syns I don't loose! So defeats purpose! Good luck! (ps weekend or alcohol are my downfall too I have swapped to gin and slim on Friday nights (a small is just 2.5syns! And low alcohol wine (5.5%) wine sat/sun lunch only 12syns per bottle! It's not exactly the same but its not bad and i don't feel I'm missing out at all!)

All really good advice. I think you need to make sure you are clear about your goals and your reasons. Be honest about your trigger times/foods/occasions and make yourself a plan you can stick to. Enlist the help of those who love you (you may be surprised at how supportive they can be).

Could you all have a drink at Costa and then you nip out and shop for some nice makeup as your treat while they have cake? Could you mix your wine with sparkling water if you are sharing a bottle with hubby? Could you invite in-laws to you sometimes and cook SW friendly food? Maybe Mum-in-law would be happy to do Sw food - I often visit my mother on a Sunday and she cooks SW for me and her and adds extras on to the plates of everyone else who want/need it.

I must admit re: the alcohol (which I love and once I start I don't stop) I do without all month and one weekend a month I have whatever I want - food and drink - and that's working well. I don't have anyone else drinking in front of me though, not sure how I would cope with that. Maybe, in the spirit of solidarity, hubby would also curtail drinking at least alternate weekends (it would improve his health also).

This plan is brilliant but you pretty much have to stick to the rules - whatever you decide to do I'm sure you will work it out and be successful.

This may sound harsh so I'm sorry in advance. You need to decide what is more important to you. I decided that losing weight was far more important. I still go to costa/Starbucks at least 2-3x per week I just don't have cake. I have a skinny latte with sugar free syrup. I use my hea for this so is syn free. My MIL sounds very similar and cooks the most amazing roasts and homemade puddings. There are too many of us to ask her to cook separately or adjust her cooking so I save syns and will use them on a couple of roast potatoes. I sometimes have pudding if I've had a low syn week or I resist them. It gets easier to say no after a while. Sometimes she will make a fresh fruit salad to go alongside the other deserts. As for alcohol I occasionally have wine but most of the time I will drive and use that as an excuse. Using these measures I have still felt included in family/friend time but not at the expense of my weight loss. I have recently given all of my bigger clothes to the charity shop, that is a much better feeling than the instant fix of a pudding.

I'm a beer drinker, and only ever pints - but I make sure I only ever drink one night a week, whether we go out 1 or 3 times that week, odd occasions I may drink twice, but only if I know I have enough syns left.
You need to choose whether you want wine or cake, because, unless well controlled you probably can't have both, sorry if I sound harsh, but if we want to loose weight we have to make some sacrifices, I know I can't have beer & chocolate, I have to choose what I want more
I'm sure you'll get there, good luck

Planning ahead to avoid the danger zones is always the best way to go. I agree with what the others have said.
weekends can be really tough and are always a massive test to us all.
Im sure you will soon overcome it and find an easier way around it xxx

Thanks everyone. I think I knew what I need to do, I just needed to hear it from somebody else!! I have a plan for next weekend. I am determined to get to target this time!

So pleased with myself, I drew a line under my weekend and got straight back on track as normal. Result: 3 1/2 lb loss! :D Thanks to all of you who gave me a kick up the rear. Taking one weekend at a time but feeling really positive:)

Wow that's a brilliant result!! Wish I'd been able to pull it back as well as you!! Well done :)

So pleased with myself, I drew a line under my weekend and got straight back on track as normal. Result: 3 1/2 lb loss! :D Thanks to all of you who gave me a kick up the rear. Taking one weekend at a time but feeling really positive:)

You go girl! Thats a great result so well done

:happy096:

Back