Weighing Rice - please help

willou

Hi Everyone. As this is my first week, I do not yet have kitchen scales. I eat rice regularly. Could someone please tell me how many tbsp of rice = 28g ??? I know I need to check weights carefully but this is just to keep me going until I buy some scales. Many thanks for any help.

Sorry can't help you with weights vs spoons but can I ask why you are measuring rice?

I think you have to syn rice if you're having it on a red day don't you?

You do have to syn rice on a red day, but Willou hasnt put which day she is on...ooops!

Hi Girls, yes I wanted to know for my red days - I eat rice all the time so it would really help to know by tbsp's - just until I get some weighing scales - I know its not the right way to do things but I'm just trying some "damage limitation"!!! Just a rough idea would do - I'm rubbish with measurements - need those scales badly!! (my car is kaput so can't get to a place to buy until after the weekend). Thanks for your help.

In all honesty Huni, I would try and hold off the rice until you get a set of scales otherwise you could have the wrong amount and be over on syns and not see a weight loss.
It used to be 5 syns per ounce, but I couldnt even tell you how much 1 ounce would be to a tbsp....sorry.

Willou.....to be honnest 28g/1oz of cooked rice is really not much at all. I tried having pasta on my red days and 28g works out at about 10 pieces of pasta. Really not worth it!!

If you are having a rice-a-holic day I suggest you have a green day and SYN the meat....you get more that way!!

just an idea but why not get the boil in the bag ones they are pre- weighed i think you can get very small portions of uncle bens boil in the bag

i only know cos they had them in the cupboard at work and i thought you would need 4 bags for a decent amount might help though.

even if you get the smaller bags it would give you an indication of how much you are having if for example you need to half it

Debs x

Hello first post, hello all!!
Muppetgirly is right, I weighed out rice on some electronic scales at the weekend when on a red day and had 6 syns worth and about a mouthful of rice (so it seemed!), it certainly was a small amount.
but cant help regarding the spoons sorry!

Thanks for all your comments - I think I'm going to just change to mostly green days - it seems much easier!! The boil in the bag idea was a good one - thanks!

couldn't you do EE and have the rice and the meat in the same meal therefore not having to measure anything?

Okay i'm confusing myself! On EE can you eat as much rice and past as you like with meat in a single meal but have to weigh it if you do red days and it's free if you do green? People have explained this to me but i'm still lost!

In my understanding anything that is free on red or green is free on Extra Easy. The difference is you only get 1 hex A and 1 hex B. If you have syns you take the lowest (i.e if something is 10 syns on red and 3 syns on green you only count 3) hope this helps :)

So for instance i could have an EE day with my milk allowance as my hexA, cereals as my hexB and then have a chicken pasta salad for dinner and spag bol for tea and that would be free on an extra easy as long as i stuck to red and green free stuff such as meat & pasta etc?

So for instance i could have an EE day with my milk allowance as my hexA, cereals as my hexB and then have a chicken pasta salad for dinner and spag bol for tea and that would be free on an extra easy as long as i stuck to red and green free stuff such as meat & pasta etc?

Thats right Hun!
Have you tried it yet?? If so, how are you doing?

Back