Weight loss anf Body Fat %

Guitarist Chick

I have noticed most people are looking forward to a healthier BMI, however, does anyone check their body fat percentage?

Given the fact that even when I used to be thin I always had an absurd BMI (highly inaccurate!) because of muscle mass, I have started concentrating more on my body fat percentage.

An example: after a week on Atkins I have lost 600 grams so that's just over a pound. However my body fat % dropped by 3%! That's kept me happy and so right now I am not really worried at the fact I havent lost 5 pounds or whatever some people are fortunate to lose in a week.

Any experiences with your diets and body fat % are appreciated.

i havent really look at it tbh..

i have noticed i was close to 5% loss BUT tbh this target looks way too big for me lol

im majorly un healthy so yes..it should make a difference!

Sounds good, how and where do you get this checked or do you have fancy scales?

I go on the scales at tesco, they do fat percentage and also estimate the actual weight of just your body fat.

At my heaviest I was over 50% fat which scared the hell out of me much more than a high BMI ( my BMI gives my ideal weight about 8 and a half stone and realistically I reckon I'd look majorly ill at that)

Last weigh in my percentage body fat had come down to about 47% which isnt a lot but it's going in the right direction. Its really reassuring to know I'm carrying less fat around with me.

Just looked at the inspiration slide........ WOW! everyone on here has a strong drive and determination, I just hope I can always remember to come here for support when I don't have the strength to carry on.

MissyMustDoIt whatever you are doing, you are seeing results! well done on your hard work :)

xx Cathy xx hehe "fancy scales" made me giggle. Unfortunately yes, I have a set of Tanita scales that are no longer fancy (cracked display from moving). Bought them when I did Atkins (and failed) the first time. I do however believe the GP can measure the percentage of fat as can Boots, at least where I live.

Last edited:
My new scales do body fat percentage, can't remember what my last reading was but I have written down my starting figures and some I did a few days ago, have just joined a gym so will do that for a month and try again and see if it has made a difference and how much.
Bren xx

Jonsgirl80 isn't it just? I almost felt like jumping for joy -and smashing the scales in the process of course LOL- at my weigh in. Can;t wait for the next :)

I have to admit though, it still feels like I am cheating :D Atkins is just too good us!

aahh im a dunce haha...i have no idea of my fat % i presume its rather high...

the 5% random number i said in another post is the % of weight lost haha and its actually closer to 10%...what a wally haha xx

aahh im a dunce haha...i have no idea of my fat % i presume its rather high...

the 5% random number i said in another post is the % of weight lost haha and its actually closer to 10%...what a wally haha xx

Missy -- dont feel like a the only dunce -- I am here to join you!

I too said, yeah I lost 10% body fat...

Can anyone find an equation on the net??? (*setting of to look for one now*)

Good morning ladies :)

Bren: that sounds like a good plan. I'd be interested in knowing if you do notice a difference in fat loss. I feel too heavy to resume working out. I have had a bad knee and ankle since my teens due to a sports injury so hearing from others if they notice a difference will encourage me to get my big behind on an elliptical runner :cool:

MissyMustDoIt: :D I actually thought you meant 5% fat loss hehehe, doesnt matter. Coffee (albeit decaf :cry:) to the rescue!!

nina: unfortunately it's not as simple as finding an equation. Us - doing atkins or low carbing - are very likely to lose more fat percentage than other dieters due to the nature of the science behind this way of eating. Other dieters when they see a big loss of 5 pounds in a week, they probably lost 40% water, 40% muscle and 20% fat. we would have lost something like 95% fat.

Of course it depends on people's metabolism etc (I am in no way an expert, sorry)

You can have caffiene on atkins :)

i never have quit coffee...i have it black with 1 splenda sweetener

the only thing that gets me through the day lol

Interseting -- I never thought of us atkiners/LCers losing more FAT each week when compared to other dieters...

I only saw Atkins as the Purest way to keep my hunger at bay!! I love ketosis for this :)

But I HAVE noticed a huge melting of various body parts -- albeit the scale hasnt moved much!!!

Any body else see this trend??

Last edited:
i never have quit coffee...i have it black with 1 splenda sweetener

the only thing that gets me through the day lol

Lol my vice is coke zero, I was just making sure guitaristchick knew

Went on the boots weigh in machine today and I'm 32.3% body fat urgh :(

Lol my vice is coke zero, I was just making sure guitaristchick knew

Went on the boots weigh in machine today and I'm 32.3% body fat urgh :(

Noooooooooooooooooooo :eek:
I only have the older Atkins, of when he was alive. It suggested avoiding caffeine as it dips blood sugars and makes one crave sugar more? No? new book says it's ok??
Anyway, if you ladies are having coffe/coke zero and are losing weight, I guess I can have my beloved coffee too, woohoo! :D You've made me very happy!

Nina I've been on Atkins now for 11 days, I noticed I look waaaaay less puffy in the mirror hehehe does that make sense? it's like I am a deflated balloon in my clothes. Same thing after the one week mark, yet I had only lost just over a pound. Will keep an eye on things and let you know further down the line.

deflated balloon -- yeah I can envision that! my 'apron' is not as puffy any more (thats the lower belly which looks like a pouch!!!)

Gutairist Chick --> Congrats on your efforts so far -- keep up the great job and in no time we'll all be at the successful finish line!!

i notice inch loss when i have no lb loss....for example this week ive had 5 or more people comment on my weight loss and how 'skinny' im looking (im not skinny by any means, i think they mean slimmer lol)

but this week my trousers are hanging off me and ive STS so definatley get inch loss even if the lb's are not moving x

Last edited:
I think BMI is highly over rated personally.

I think BMI is highly over rated personally.

Jim, I think she asked about body fat percentages but BMI is a consequence of the measuring indexes.

I think knowing one's own body fat is useful -- not for cosmetic purposes -- but physiological health -- knowing how much fat is suffocating your organs can spur on motivation to get healthier!

For myself, at 32, I am wayyyyy passed the idea of wanting to be waiflikeor a size 8....I love myself fat...I am comfortable and happy go lucky...What I dont like is the idea of my obesity cutting my life too short...I would want to live to see my grandkids, God willing...there is so much left to do in this world...So health is my aim.

Back