Weight loss but not in ketosis; burning muscle?

wannabeminime

Gold Member
We have all read about how ketosis protects our muscles and enables the body to burn fat affectively, but what about when we are not in ketosis but trying to do a vlcd? Many of us have too many packs or a bit of extra food, meaning we're not in ketosis. Does this mean we will be burning our muscles?

You will still be burning fat. However, the proportion of lean mass lost while not in ketosis may be higher than that lost while in ketosis (dependent on other factors as well e.g. exercise etc.)

Even when you're in ketosis, about 25% of your losses are lean mass.

Good question.
I don't think so ... (at least I HOPE not! lol). I'm hoping that the protein content of the packs protects muscle - as far as it can - and that my body burns whatever small amount of dietary energy is present in my body and burns excess fat reserves to make up the difference. I hope! ;)

Yes, protein does protect muscle but you will still lose some, even in ketosis.

If you do resistance exercise (weights etc.) you can drastically reduce the rate of muscle loss.

Last edited:
Yes, but specifically resistance exercise. While cardio is great for many reasons, it won't slow down your rate of muscle loss. The best thing you can do is a bit of both.

Guess i need to get to the gym then! Difficult as a single mum of young kids and at work during the day! I know, excuses, excuses!:eek:

Back