Weight loss by bathing?

366to266

Wanna lose 100lb
Would anyone care to speculate on this as it is baffling me...

A close friend is trying to lose weight by running daily rather than by diet restriction.

His daily routine is to go for an evening run, then weigh before his bath and again after his bath. Every single time, he weighs 3lb less after the bath (by the next morning the 3lb has come back.)

How can taking a bath create a 3lb weight loss? (I always avoid weighing after a shower or swimming because I fear that my hair will weigh more wet than dry!)

Any ideas?

Helena

I've heard of detox baths with epsom salts which are supposed to help as they're cleansing and flush toxins out of the body. They also help muscles and nerves function properly and also helps with bloating, so could he mean that?
Not heard of just a normal bath helping though, I must admit that I am much lighter when I get out the bath but I think that's down to my feet being slightly wet/things shrinking due to hot water ect. Plus I get quite sweaty/hot in the bath so that could contribute too.

If it's a hot bath it could be due to dehydration and water loss. A little like using a sauna...

Hurrah! That rings true. That must be the reason! Thanks

Yeah nail on the head - hot baths work similar to saunas. I've worked as a beauty therapist and a lot of the "miracle" detox cures for weight work under the same principle. It's nice as a boost and helps circulation so it does have benefits for weight loss long term but your friend would be better only weighing himself once a week. :)

I know jockeys use hot baths & saunas for temporary rapid weightloss but as soon as you drink fluids, the weight goes back on.

[FONT=Calibri, serif]That's interesting! Now I wonder if I should try to take a warm bath before going to a special event.[/FONT]

This is pretty interesting. I guess it's healthy as a way of getting rid of toxins and cleansing the body, but only if you drink plenty of water to flush everything through and keep hydrated. So not really the best weight loss method! :p

This is pretty interesting. I guess it's healthy as a way of getting rid of toxins and cleansing the body, but only if you drink plenty of water to flush everything through and keep hydrated. So not really the best weight loss method! :p

All you're doing is sweating. As far as I know all sweating does it get rid of salt and water from your system. The rest is up to your kidneys, so yep agree with plenty of water, but bathing in a hot bath does nothing apart from remove dirt.

All you're doing is sweating. As far as I know all sweating does it get rid of salt and water from your system. The rest is up to your kidneys, so yep agree with plenty of water, but bathing in a hot bath does nothing apart from remove dirt.

Apologies, just looked this up and apparently it's a complete myth that you can sweat out toxins. Good shout Stackhead!

So, the mystery has been solved. My friend passed his personal record the other day: his pre-bath and after bath weight differed by a massive five pounds!

The man is, clearly, full of sweat!

It's a myth in a normal bubble or relaxing bath. But not if you use Epsom salts in the bath. Epsom salts DO draw out toxins. Doctors advise their use in baths for recovery etc.

Interesting I never heard anything about lose weight with bathing and this is good info ....thanks

Ryan you put it all back on when you drink anything afterwards!

Back