Weight loss in pets

_Gizmo_

Silver Member
Been thinking about this alot today because i'm thinking about eventually setting up a pet slimming club or something like that at work.

Because i've been thinking about how I can lose weight so much, its made me realise how similar it would be in pets. Basically lower calories, eating healthier, exercise etc... Never really thought about calorie counting being useful in pet nutrition before. Need to research all the calorie content of different pet food I think, could be interesting. Gives me something to do I guess :p lol. Even a weekly weigh in, taking measurements and taking before and after pics would be useful.

Gonna have to do months of research into nutrition and dieting for pets before I even start doing classes, want everything to be perfect :p. Definately want to help educate people about weight loss in pets, because it is an issue that needs to be dealt with. The programmes on tv about fat pets annoyed me. Think there was one with a rottie that was allowed anything it wanted basically because it's owner treated her like her child and the rottie was massive :eek:

I know my dog is overweight but i'm going to try to get her to lose some weight. The exercise part is going to be difficult as she is old, and so is cutting out all the treats that others in the house keep feeding her :mad:. I can test my weight loss programme on her :)

What are your thoughts on weight loss for pets? Anyone had any experience with it?

Hi Gizmo, my dog is on steroids for skin inflammation so her appetite increased plus bloating. Aside from that she has no recall so I walk her daily but cannot let her off the lead, she'd be gone after the birds and I can't run that fast. :p

She put on a mighty amount of weight even though I didn't give her sweet treats but kept her on the Pedigree Chum, with half a sausage now and again. She got pancreatitis twice so after the first time no more sausages. No weight change.

Second time she got it I put my foot down and she has been eating only Hills Dry food, 75g per day (they're very precise) and either a chicken fillet grilled or tinned tuna rinsed through with water. It has worked a treat, she now wants to play ball again, full of energy and I can see her "waist" coming back, you know what I mean I'm sure. She's only been on it for about a month but I can see it's doing her good. For the best food I'd definitely recommend Hills. Good luck with your new venture! :D

Back