Weight Loss Sabotage

mrstaylor

Good morning all. I thought it might be interesting/helpful to have a discussion about what we have done in the past to Sabotage our weight loss? What if anything is different this time?

For me it is about being complacent with the plan. In the past I made excuses not to stay to group. I made excuses not to use the website and I made a lot of excuses around social eating!

This time, for the first time, I have stayed to group even when it has been really tough to organise. I think that is the main difference for me. This is the longest I have ever stuck to the plan :)

I'm struggling a bit with this right now, actually, so this thread couldn't have come at a better time for me, thank you :)

I'm currently at a weight (for the very first time in my adult life) where I'm not objectively FAT (I'm overweight, but I don't feel people are looking at me and judging what I'm putting in my mouth, which they definitely did 6 stone ago) and my subconcious is all about "I want to eat NORMALLY" (chips, pizza, sweeties)... which isn't actually healthy OR normal (or certainly not for a 36 year old woman. I should really stop spending so much time with 6ft + 27 year old rugby playing boys) but it's a battle sometimes and I'm not really all that good at coping with it.

The difference this time that's allowed me to get as far as I have is that I've made the decision that it's NOT a diet, that I'm WORTH the extra effort to eat decent foods (fruit, veggies, wholegrains, oily fish) and that really, being healthy and happy is the treat, chips aren't. But that's a heck of a thing to make stick for over a year, hence the struggling! I'm more in the zone than out of it, though, so it is still working for me over all ;).

Staying to group is VERY important to me - it re-motivates me and the social side is also important time for me to focus on myself (plus I'm basically the class swot, I LIKE being good at something!) and that's definitely helped a very great deal, as has having a diary here and reading other peoples'. Also, although I didn't tell a SOUL until I'd lost about 3 stone, telling people has been important to me - especially judgemental people, because I don't want to "fail" in their eyes and have them judge me!

You are so right. Re-motivation is vital. We all need to be constantly encouraged on this Marathon.

For me it was a case of eating one thing be it a takeaway, crisps, chocolate and thinking "that's it I have ruined my plan now" and would binge for the rest of the day, now I have got my head around that I am just human and I will have a slip up and to draw a line under it. Also the feeling of guilt makes you want to binge the next day and it really is a vicious cycle! My motivation is my holiday in 6 weeks, really keeping me focused :D

Back