Weight loss stopped/stalled? Read this

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by Dancing, 14 November 2007 Social URL.

1. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

I've copied this from another site where someone very helpfully posted it. Very encouraging and interesting.

Found this on a low-carb forum - but the principles apply to us too.....may account for a small/zero loss followed by a huge loss, even when you're not doing anything different!

STALLS -- WHY THE SCALES CAN LIE
    A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.
    The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.
    However, if you give those fat cells some time, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. jemz29

jemz29 Likes to laugh

Start Weight:
    20st4lb
    Current Weight:
    19st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(5.99%)
    Diet:
    WeightWatchers
    aww thats a nice wee story!!

Ive given up too many times because of that!! xx

4. Mochaj

Mochaj Gold Member

Diet:
    CD
    Very interesting, thanks for posting it :)

5. westiegirl

westiegirl Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st1lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    LighterLife
    I totally agree with that.

I have scales that also measure body fat percentage. On the weeks without weight loss I have reduced body fat and that keeps me motivated.

I know a lot of us have stayed the same this week, I wonder if it's the change in the weather?

6. Lil K

Lil K Addicted to Minimins

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st13lb(13.3%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    Thanks for this Dancing
    After the weigh in I had with my CDC this week I've been feeling very deflated, and for the very first time questioned if I could get to target doing CD (I am looking now to change my CDC as I don't think I want to see her next week). The article you have posted makes sense, and has spurred me on to keep going. :thankyou:

7. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

Pleased it has been the help you need Lil K. Definitely change your CDC, it is terrible what her comment has done. I hope she doesn't have many clients.

will you call around CDCs today while you are feeling more positive and ready to get going again?

8. clairelesley

clairelesley Fairy Princess to Be

Diet:
    Cambridge
    Oooh, very interesting & good to know: my only question would be how long is that effect likely to last for before 'weight' loss kicks in again and you start seeing the numbers on the scales going down? (edit: nm, reread and see it says weeks to months(!?) And is there anything you can do to hurry the process along?
    :sign0163:

Last edited: 14 November 2007
  9. MoonBeam

MoonBeam Full Member

Diet:
    Cambridge, SSing
    This is just what I needed to read, after two weeks, and only loosing 2lbs, I've been very tempted to give up, but that article has given me a boost to hang on in there for another week or so, thanks :)
    Bad fat cells!!!

10. Lil K

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st13lb(13.3%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    I'm still on track, still giving it 100% (although it's been hard, and my resolve has been weak), and it's my AAMW as well so that is helping. I had a look on the CD website last night for other CDC's in the area, and will be calling them to see if they can get me in before my packs run out on Monday - if they can, then I'm there! I was just a bit worried about how much of the situation to tell the new CDC? I'll keep you posted x

11. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

don't know about how to speed up the process - I suspect there isn't much that can be done. The body will do what it will do. However, I would say, keep the water intake up (thinking it is better to withdraw the water is incorrect as the body would hold onto what it has).

Just go with the flow, i guess.

Lil K, good luck! You can say as little or much as you feel comfortable with when you move to a new CDC. Someone may have a good suggestion of what to say (I'm a little too direct to come up with something tactful!)

12. Lil K

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st13lb(13.3%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    I'm generally a 'tell it like it is' kind of person as well :D. I've just phoned a CDC - no reply, so I've emailed her and just said that I was looking for somewhere more convenient. If I do go see her and the question arises, I will just say that I did not feel I got the support I required and it had quite a negative impact on my attitude towards CD. Just want to get it sorted before Monday, because I really don't want to go back to my current CDC :(.

I'm still 100% commited to losing the weight, and will be happier once this situation is sorted.

13. Lil K

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st13lb(13.3%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    Hi Dancing
    I've arranged a meeting with another CDC next Monday - and it's nearer to my home as well. Feel much better already!

14. clairelesley

clairelesley Fairy Princess to Be

Diet:
    Cambridge
    Good for you, should also help you stay more positive in the interim than dreading going back to your old CDC!

15. Tico

Tico Member

Diet:
    Cambridge
    Thanks for this... I was feeling quite disappointed as it was my fourth weigh in this evening and only lost 1lb:(

16. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

it will come off Tico - stick with it.

Good to hear you have found a new CDC, Lil K. Let us know how you go

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.