Weight loss - what benefits have you seen so far...

Trixicle

Hoping this will be a thread to celebrate our achievements, and provide motivation for those of us still on our journey!

I think I was in denial about my weight. I was 14 stone, reasonable fit (could jog a couple of km) and thought this was ok. I also thought I looked ok - I carried the weight well (I thought). I started SW because my petite friend asked me to be a bridesmaid and I didn't want to stand out on the photos next to my friend and her equally petite sister.

After losing 2 and a half stone I now get no back ache after exercise, I can wear decent sized heels without my feet being painful and find running much easier. I also take more interest in my appearance. Before losing weight I didn't really care about my looks and told myself it was because I had grown out of that phase (now in early 30s). Actually I had given up on myself, and could look quite scruffy. I hadn't bought any clothes for years! It's obvious now that this was because of my weight!

What health/emotional benefits have you experienced so far?

Good thread!
I'm only on day 1 so have nothing yet. But it's a good inspiration to hear about other benefits, aswell as weight loss.

I feel more confident in myself, but still a long way to go :)

I'm only 11.5lbs down but am already noticing that my clothes fit better. To put that into context, I have around 6 stone to lose.

I instantly felt healthier when I went onto SW. It was the second week of January and I was feeling minging after overindulging over Christmas. Really sluggish and just generally unhealthy. That feeling went away within a couple of days of starting SW, which may have been partly psychosomatic but still...

Also when I first started, 6 stone felt like such an overwhelming amount to lose, but as I close in on my first stone down in 2 months, it feel more doable. I just think if I can manage a stone every two months, next Christmas will be an entirely different story

It's always good to compare then and now....I've lost 7st, with approx another 7 to 10lbs to go (I'll know what my target is when I get there!) and for me I've noticed: (a) I can take a bath without causing a tsunami of water behind my behind!;
(b) I've got so much more energy.
However my head is still in 'fat girl ' mode...I still think "will my but fit through that gap" and I couldn't possibly fit into that size! Hopefully my head will get the message soon.

I'm about 1.5stone down but honestly its hard for me to see much difference as I have IBS which means I pretty much am constantly bloated! I went down a clothes size initially but now due to my big bloated belly I've gone up again. I'm hoping when I get the rest of the weight off I'll feel a lot better.

I always felt very guilty when I was eating whatever I wanted; I'd enjoy it at the time but the rest of the time I just felt like a failure. Now, I feel like I'm being proactive and healthy so all that self-loathing and guilt has gone.

My clothes fit better so far, and I feel like my face doesnt look as fat in photos haha. Still a long way to go (168lbs approx!)

Good thread :)

One thing I have really noticed (5 stone down) is that I walk so much quicker now! Not surprising when I think that I was basically carrying the equivalent of a small child around with me all the time.

I'm 4 1/2 stone down and haven't really noticed much tbh, I know that might be hard to believe for some but my head hasn't fully caught up with me yet. I do feel less anxious now though.

One thing I will say is that I can now fit a towel around me when getting out the shower/bath ;)

Hey everyone..just new to this so bit lost lol...im joininh SW classes tomorrow night and im sooo nervous. I have 7-8 stone to lose but wanna set mini goals . Any tips for doing SW

Like Wine&RugbyKindaGirl I feel so much more awake and less sluggish, I have more energy. I also think with the increased water and fruit and veg my skin looks better, and my hairdresser says I have a lot of new growth in my hair, which is very fine and can look quite thin if it's not in good condition.

mamalisa89, good luck with your first group session today, and well done for taking the first step and joining!

mini goals can be anything that means something to you. Your first half stone award (and every half/full stone award after that!). Your Club 10 (when you lose 10% of your start weight). Lose X amount by Easter/your birthday/Christmas. I have both mini ones and bigger ones, my next mini one is just 2lbs, once that's gone I'll be exactly halfway through my weight loss journey :) And I will also keep on track for my next "big" one which is to be down to 14stone by easter :)

Hi everyone

I've been doing slimming world since December 2014 and I've lost just over 2 stones so far. I got a real reality call when having a routine annual check at the doctors for my blood pressure meds. I was told my medication might need to be increased as it was still high, I was on the 'cusp' of being diabetic and my liver enzymes were raised [I had something called 'fatty liver' which many of us have but don't know about until things get much worse]. That really was the turning point for me and the motivation to finally do something. I haven't always been big but at the age of 44 the weight had crept up and up and I was 5ft 3 and almost 16 stones. I was also exhausted all of the time

Got my bloods redone last week, my blood sugars have normalised, my liver enzymes are back to normal and my blood pressure has dropped dramatically to the point I may have to start reducing my meds. My 'looks' were secondary in all this but I wont lie, this is still a big bonus. I still have a lot to loose but I feel so much better already. :) Its lovely being able to pick a top from a supermarket clothes section. I haven't been able to do that in years.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone xx

Lisa

I've still got a long way to go (just about 1/3rd of the way there) but I'm definitely feeling the benefits already.

It's great wearing smaller clothes (was a 26, now 20/22) & fitting back into my old clothes and boots, and I'm trying to look after myself a bit more, I wear make-up most days and choose my outfits more carefully, I feel like it's worth making a little effort.

Physically, being able to walk further and quicker is the most noticeable difference. I now don't look at stairs as the enemy, lol.

Also, I love being able to shave my legs/paint my toenails, etc, without getting out of breath. :)

I haven't really lost a huge amount so far, but I eat so much better and feel much better and very energetic. As a result, I'm exercising much more.

Love this thread, what a fantastic idea!

I'll list the benefits I have seen here, I still have over 1.5 stones to go to target yet so I'm not done yet but I am definitely feeling a difference!
There are some down-sides but I have come to accept that I am going to need post-loss surgery to correct the excess skin issue as no amount of exercise is going to shrink all of this extra skin back.

I fit in the bath more easily.
My bath sheets (mega-sized towels) are massive on me and I am potentially going to have to downsize the towels as I am not able to keep them on, they keep falling off!
Wearing heels doesn't hurt so much anymore so I can stand up in them for a lot longer without having to perch so much.
People have started to notice me and I'm not invisible to the majority of the world.
Buying clothes is a doddle now, I am able to walk into pretty much any shop and get clothes without worrying if they have my size.
I'm too skinny for the "Big Girl Shops" now (I find that a massive achievement as they carry prints which scream "I'm a big person") :D
I have so much energy now.
Walking 5 miles is something I hardly have to worry about anymore.
I enjoy exercise as I feel a lot less self-conscious of my appearance.
Personal Grooming is a lot easier. (nail polish application, nail clipping, depilatory regimes are easy now!)
I use less make-up.
I don't get flushed after eating anymore.
I get less flushed after drinking alcohol.
I feel better in myself.
I hardly ever get backache (something I was personally plagued with 5/7 days per week, especially during the cold months)
My complexion is better, I get hardly ever get spots :)

I'm only 11.5lbs down but am already noticing that my clothes fit better. To put that into context, I have around 6 stone to lose.

I instantly felt healthier when I went onto SW. It was the second week of January and I was feeling minging after overindulging over Christmas. Really sluggish and just generally unhealthy. That feeling went away within a couple of days of starting SW, which may have been partly psychosomatic but still...

Also when I first started, 6 stone felt like such an overwhelming amount to lose, but as I close in on my first stone down in 2 months, it feel more doable. I just think if I can manage a stone every two months, next Christmas will be an entirely different story

Just to add to this. I'm now 13.5lbs down and had my BP done at the doctors today, and it was significantly lower than the last time I went

I haven't lost all that much so far, but I've noticed my clothes are looser and fit better - so I feel better in myself.

Male example of benefits: After nine stone loss, there's less, shall we say 'padding' around certain areas, making a difference of several inches.

Back