Weird feeling

Carmilla

Hello everyone. This is going to sound a bit self pitying but bear with me. I'm finding it really hard to adjust my mind to the weight loss, I thought I'd feel really happy once i lost 1.5 stones but it's brought up so many issues with me. I think I put weight on in the first place because of things in my past, I didn't want to look like a 'little girl' any more (I'm a young looking 27, still get id'd) and I didn't want people looking at me. Now the loss is showing I can tell people are reacting differently to me, an old bloke at work said I look 'fit' and I just froze. I have no idea how to deal with these comments.

Then on the other hand I went into topshop yesterday and my head was like "you're kidding yourself, you're still too fat for places like this, you don't belong here".

Sigh.

That's not self pity that's perfectly normal, hopefully one of the target ladies will pick this up and comment but I think it's very hard to adjust I thought same as you that I'd instantly feel slimmer. It takes bit longer for our brains to adjust.

Embrace your new body as it goes smaller and the comments Learn to smile and say thank you there's nothing wrong with you being proud. My therapy and its very amateur is to look in the Mirror get used to seeing yourself and everytime you do it find something positive do your hair or give yourself a face pack or put your undies on n dance round like a crazy lady. Get comfy in your own skin rest will follow.

Also I'm either binning or ebaying my old bigger clothes I noticed vest tops were huge n baggy and they made me feel like I was loosing no weigh cos they looked awful :)

I know how you feel. I suppose it will take us a while to adjust to the new life. I had compliments firm parents at school yesterday and I don't really know what to say back

Hi Carmilla, accepting compliments when you've not heard them for a long time/before does take a while when you haven't quite got your head around the fact, you're looking better. Try and remember that you are doing this for YOURSELF and not some sleazy old guy. (no offence meant to anyone else!) It took a long time for me to stop automatically going for bigger sized clothes, and it was only when my only pair of trousers started falling down, that I could think "I'm getting smaller. I need to get the next size down". I used to be painfully shy, so getting some confidence and being able to walk passed builders whistling or things like that, was really hard. I used to turn around and think it was meant for someone else, only to realise it wasn't. And then scuttle off in embarrassment. Now I can at least, smile and feel happy about it, that someone whippersnapper thinks I look ok. If you've got other issues from your past that make this hard, perhaps some counselling would help you adjust to the new you. xx

It doesn't sound daft at all xxx You've worked hard and lost the weight but your head hasn't caught up with your body yet! It's something a lot of people say when they lose weight, that they feel weird about compliments because they can't see what other people see. I do it too - I've gone down four dress sizes since starting SW and I find it difficult to get my head round sometimes. I don't have to shop at Evans anymore but I feel like a fraud in somewhere like Dorothy Perkins or New Look, even though I can comfortably wear their clothes now and not even the biggest size. I pick up sizes that are too big out of habit and go stupidly shy when I get compliments. I think it's something that comes with time, at least I hope it does! You've done brilliantly to get to your target - don't lose sight of that and the confidence will come in time as your head catches up with the new you xxx

Thanks everyone for listening, it's great to come on here and find people who understand! I tried to explain it to other people but they didn't get what I was saying.

I'm not at target yet, got another stone and 11.5lbs to go.

Back