We're buying our first home, yay!

Tinsel81

My partner and I have just received our mortgage agreement in principle and can now look at buying our first home - I'm so excited! We could only borrow on his income as I'm self-employed so it won't exactly be des res, but it'll be ours and our renting days will finally be over! Does anyone have any home buying tips for a couple of naive first-timers?

Dont rush into it.
Thats how I have ended up with a house somewhere I dont want to be.
The house is lovely and I was excited to just get in and decorate but it wasnt in the right place and I just tried to ignore that.

Decorate how you want it to look!
Its so much harder to decorate later on, do it when its empty and when you are starting out.

Thank lilaloves! That's good advice. There are two we like: one is beautifully decorated - double glazed, fitted kitchen, bathroom etc - and it's in a nice village but it's not really the area we want to live as we'd like to be nearer my family. The other is in the perfect location but looks a bit rubbish inside: ugly kitchen, carpets etc, plus no double glazing. But we can always make it look the way we want when we have it, so I think we will probably offer on that one.

Back