Wet weather rail travel questions, as asked by a California Sunshine gal.....

Blonde Logic

Yes. You can.
Hello peeps.

You are going to think I am bluddy daft asking this....but I need advise.

I am starting my new job Monday, and will be commuting by train. From my house to the station I have about a 10 minute walk.....and at the other end, maybe a 5-10 minute walk.

Now - being a true California girl, and knowing the America's public transportation is crap, but our petrol is(was) cheap - we all drive a car. So, this is the FIRST time in my life I have had to be in the elements, aside from my front door to my car door! :eek: It's true!!! :D

So - HOW do you get to the train and then to work not looking like a soaked rat in this horrible rain??? Half the time, a brolly blows itself inside out here on the sussex coast!

ANd my coats - I have a nice warm, LONG black wool coat, that would covere most of my legs, but its not water repelleant of course. Would the rain damage the fabric if it got very wet? ANd would it seep through and get me wet and freezing??

I have a good outdoorsy water repellant coat with a good hood, but it only comes to my hips and is not warm.

I have a longer raincoat, but again, its not very warm and no hood.

So - What is the best way to do this!! I have visions of getting just to the train station and being soaked and a mess, and I want to look nice.

Any advise from you seasoned experts???

ANd please stop laughing at the element-ly challeneged California Blonde. :D

Thank you!!!!!

XXX

sorry, your post made me laugh!
i think taking your straightners and makeup bag with you will be a must if its really bad weather.
i wear a sensible pair of boots then change at work into heels when its rainy.
oh the great british weather!!
daisy x

I wear a nice jumper, with my winter coat underneath - and as I got a bigger size wear my water repellant over that! I know this sounds like you would look daft - but what about getting a waterproof poncho (lke the ones people get at water parks on wet rides.) I used to do this before I got my water repellant coat and looked like a numpty - but stayed far dryer than if I hadn;t!

Hmm, its so windy down here Em - a poncho would probably be a nightmare, but its good in theory. I just wish I knew if my wool coat would get wet through - probably not - lol - Dasiy - you are not the only one laughing at me.

I can't believe I don;t know this stuff!!! :rotflmao:

Heck - I didn;t wear shoes until I was 37!!! :D :giggle:

Stand in the garden and get your oh to point a hose at you :p

Ok, as a bloke, I don't know what women do to brave the elements.

My answer to the question is:

Use one of your long warm coats;
Use one of those thin rain coat thingys that goes over your warm coat (are they called Mack-in-a-sack, or ponchos or something else?);
Use a nice sensible, big, strong, golf umbrella.

Jobs a goodun.

I don't know about wearing footwear, and make up etc... needless to say :)

Ok, as a bloke, I don't know what women do to brave the elements.

My answer to the question is:

Use one of your long warm coats;
Use one of those thin rain coat thingys that goes over your warm coat (are they called Mack-in-a-sack, or ponchos or something else?);
Use a nice sensible, big, strong, golf umbrella.

Jobs a goodun.

I don't know about wearing footwear, and make up etc... needless to say :)

THanks - thats a good idea....do you know where I can find one of those mack in a sac things?

And - i did USE to have feet like leather. :D It was great - coiulod walk on any surface, hot, cold or sharp. Now - my feet have gone al girly and I can't hardly stand to be outside in bare feet. But I always am at home.

Hey hun

I always wear a wool coat (don't own a waterproof) and use an umbrella. Tend to wear boots and have shoes under my desk to change into if I want. Usually all is fine, on very rare occasions I have ended up with very wet trousers but they dry out eventually!!

xx

Back