What and when was your "lightbulb" moment?

curvy_em

Fresh start
Just curious as to when you guys had your lightbulb moment. what made you think that now is the time and s&s was the way to go.

For me it was going to the doctors back at Xmas after 3 years of TTC with PCOS. My consultant told me that in order to be put on clomid I would need to have a BMI of 35 which meant a weight loss of 4 stone- I walked out of the appointment and thought, if i really want this then i am the ONLY person who can do this. Nobody will do it for me.... since then I have cut out carbs and upped my exercise and dropped 19lbs- I was looking into LL and LT but s&s seemed to be having great reviews and results and people were enjoying the food!!

So thats my "moment".... xx

Painful knees, and a facebook picture of me when I was in a club, wearing a fab dress and seeing me with a tyre around my middle and 5 chins. Going on a girlie holiday in June and refuse to be the biggest girl there.

I will lose weight, I will, I will, I will.

When my diabetes medication was increased and I had to take two types of tablets because I already had the maximum metformin.

3 years ago I mentioned to my doc I'd like to lose weight. Then I said, "yeah I know, eat less, excersize more". He said, "you don't have to, try lipotrim"...
I went home googled it, found a chemist and went a few days later.
Best thing I did that year!

I had superficial blood clots earlier this year and when I went in for my DVT scan my card said "is obese". That was the last spur I needed. I'm getting mariied in October too and haven't ordered my dress yet, as I was depressed about how awful I'd look in the photos. I have to do this, no two ways about it. And I will do it!

I've got a bad back which isn't being helped by my weight, I'm in agony with it at the moment which has knocked my appetite for six so thought it was the ideal time to start

Realising I didnt want to spend another summer worrying about what to wear cuz I dnt want my legs out but leggings r too warm! And not wanting to spend another girlie holiday with me covering up my extra rolls and refusing to move unless I have a towel round me to cover up the flab!

Realising that none of my clothes fit anymore (except track suits) and refusing to go back up to a size 18 again !!!!

A horrendously uncomfortable 12 hour flight last year when I suffered in the tiny seat and felt mortified that I needed a seatbelt extension.

I can't really think of any one light bulb moment. I've had a go a Cambridge 3 or 4 times since February '10 but just couldn't get my head in gear and the last time I tried I lost a pretty pathetic 15lbs in 5 months through mesing about.
But this time I think I have really cracked it, I haven't wanted to pick at food and I can picture myself at goal and that is such a wonderful feeling.
I have found it to be pretty easy this time round, don't get me wrong I do have days or periods during some days where I struggle a bit but I just give myself a good talking too and have a hot drink. So I suppose that was my light bulb, knowing I'm doing this for the greater good - to improve my health as well as look great.

I find it helps when you hit a wall or feel like giving up to remember why you wanted to start in the first place and how happy you were when you lost a bit of weight xx

For me it was the constant bloated feeling,and the thought of not feeling comfy and confident this summer and every summer after.love slim and save soo much easier than Lipotrim! x..

I've had two in my life- first was 10.1.2009, a variety of things just lead me to weigh that day and I was 16st 10lb. I'm 5'2 so yes that is a lot! Size 22-26 depending on brand. I had never heard of any VLCDs or anything like that so I started off low-GI, then discovered Rosemary Conley and did that for a year. 1400 cals a day, everything low-GI, exersize every day in the form of up to 12 miles walking then a RC class, a run or a DVD. And I did love it, lost slowely over the year but I got down to 12st 10lb. But then..... I got bored, I got stressed, I stopped cal counting, I realised I could no longer have a pack of fun-size chocs in the house as I could no longer just eat one a day I'd eat the lot. Then! Lost my job, lost my home, moved to France for work, had a miserable job in a place where everyone is slim and classy (central Paris).

Lightbulb number two- 8th December 2011. Realised I was 15st exactly and felt sad that I was 'happy' that I wasn't my highest weight! (highest ever- 21st when I was 19) Immediatly began low-GI as that is what I know, what is recommended for PCOS. I lost 7lb before Christmas and managed to maintain that over Christmas! I was so chuffed. Then I discovered minimins and read all of the forums which lead me to VLCDs and I nearly ordered Exante.... till I found that S&S worked out a little cheaper, did samples and did actual meals! It's been so very hard recently but I need to get back my 'lightbulb' moment, that's why I'm writing so much!

I'm a nanny and out there somewhere is plenty of footage of me dancing in front of crowds when I did holiday entertainment in a hotel. There is also a vid of me looking like a mountain, my eldest charge was doing home videos with her friend and I wonder into the background and I feel disgust at how I looked. I need to remember that in order to never go there again. I used to have a line on my sig saying 'I will never weigh more than 20st again'. I thnk now I should have one saying 'I will never weigh more than 12st again'. I really really hope I don't!

I've always wanted to lose weight (like everyone), but for me, it's been the realisation that my life is never going to be any different if I'm keeping myself in this 'fat cage'. My weight stops me from wanting to do anything, from going for the things I want. I don't want to spend another summer wearing hoodies and black tshirts because I'm too big to wear anything else and I don't want to go on holiday in september having to cover up everything. I have no confidence and it's just stopping me from living any kind of life. I don't know what i'm expecting to happen once I lose weight, but I want to be open to the possibilities that life can bring and not feel that I have to shy away from them because I'm scared that i'm too fat

I've always wanted to lose weight (like everyone), but for me, it's been the realisation that my life is never going to be any different if I'm keeping myself in this 'fat cage'. My weight stops me from wanting to do anything, from going for the things I want. I don't want to spend another summer wearing hoodies and black tshirts because I'm too big to wear anything else and I don't want to go on holiday in september having to cover up everything. I have no confidence and it's just stopping me from living any kind of life. I don't know what i'm expecting to happen once I lose weight, but I want to be open to the possibilities that life can bring and not feel that I have to shy away from them because I'm scared that i'm too fat

Oh gosh, I could have written that too. I feel I've wasted my whole life being so big, I want those possibilities too!

Yup I'm there too. I can't stand to waste another summer and as a single mum I feel I'm wasting my kids childhood too. Enough is enough.

Also had a lightbulb moment this morning when I listed all the diets i'd been on and realised how much time, energy and money I've wasted over the years.

This year I want to go on holiday, haven't been in years, and know its time my kids got a holiday too.

Omg and you know what's horrible with moeny, is realising exactly how much you've wasted on pointless food. Like ive realised so much of my wage would go on me going to sainsburys and just buying tons of sweets and cakes to go home and binge on to make myself feel better.

I think we can make this change for ourselves, we all deserve a chance at being happy in ourselves. I was watching The Bridges of Madison County today and at the end Meryl says 'Do what you have to do to be happy in this life', and that really stuck with me.

We should promise ourselves not to let yet another 'fat summer' pass us by. Lets make it a summer of progress

I think I had my lightbulb moment *after* I started... I go to an OU tutorial around once a month and my class was on the fouth level and I HATED the stairs. Every time I went I'd stop and 'read the noticeboard' before going into class - just so I had a chance to get my breath back. After a few weeks on S&S I accidently went up another flight - because I wasn't out of puff I thought I had more to go!

That was a lightbulb for me because it showed how much diffrence it had made in my fitness after only a few weeks, and also realize how much my weight had affected me.

With starting..... I toyed with the idea for around a year, I knew it badly effected my confidence and I wasn't living the life I wanted. i'm not sure what made me start when I did - maybe just the realization that I could spend another ten thinking about it.

Back