What are you planning for Christmas? STS? Gain? Go off the rails?

Gwella

Silver Member
I don't usually like thinking about Christmas before at least mid-December, but when you're setting weight loss goals it's a bit different!

I really want to lose a full stone by Christmas - 6lb to go, so should be fine even if I stay quite slow. But the question is then what happens over Christmas itself? Do I aim to maintain? Do I try to get to club 10 before Christmas then aim not to go above the 1-stone-off point?

What are you all thinking of aiming for? For long-timers, what was your experience in past years?

Ta :)

I was just thinking about this earlier. In other years I've gone totally off the rails for two weeks (Christmas and New Year) and had some quite large gains! But this year I want to do things differently. My plan is to only have two days "off" each week - Christmas Day & Boxing Day, and then New Years Eve and New Years Day. I know this way I am still quite likely to have a gain, but chances are it will be a lot less than being off plan for 14 days! Here's hoping anyway...

Last year I made sure I was on plan until christmas. I refused to let christmas become a month long celebration. From Christmas Eve I loosened the reins. It helped that I weighed in on Christmas Eve so I was completely on plan until around 4pm. From that point on I tried to keep all of our meals as slimming world friendly as possible. For christmas lunch I made syn free garlic mushrooms, syn free main and a SW baileys mousse for dessert. I also made SW scotch eggs, SW trifle and had lots of fresh meat and salad stuff to snack on. I also had a box of chocolates and I allowed myself around 5 each evening. We did eat out a few times and i ate and drank what I wanted when at friends. I had 2 weeks off and I gained 3lbs. The following week I lost 5lbs. I felt in control but I enjoyed myself. This year I will probably do the same but I'm only having a week off plan as I'm back at work on the 29th although we are at parents this year so I imagine it's going to be harder to stick to plan.

For the last two Christmases, I have stayed on plan and have lost weight both times. Now I'm at target, I'm still going to stay on plan. I will use my HEBs and syns wisely- just like I do every day. I agree that it's good to be prepared, but Christmas is 2 months away!

It's my first Christmas on SW, so my plan is to have a healthy Christmas dinner (plenty of steamed veg, roasties done in the Actifry, skinless turkey breast, etc) and perhaps have a sweetie or two from a tub of Cadbury's Heroes on Xmas Eve, Xmas day & Boxing day as a treat! :)

I lost Christmas last year and plan to do the same this year I'm starting again this is my first week and want a stone ( my club ten also ) by Xmas n want a loss Xmas week too

I agree that it's good to be prepared, but Christmas is 2 months away!

Of course! I was just thinking a bit about what to aim for before Christmas. Very impressed by all those of you who have managed to stay in control over Christmas in the past. I'm having two Christmases - one with my family and one with my partner's family - and won't be in charge of the cooking, but you inspire me to at least try to be sensible!

I was just thinking about this earlier. In other years I've gone totally off the rails for two weeks (Christmas and New Year) and had some quite large gains! But this year I want to do things differently. My plan is to only have two days "off" each week - Christmas Day & Boxing Day, and then New Years Eve and New Years Day. I know this way I am still quite likely to have a gain, but chances are it will be a lot less than being off plan for 14 days! Here's hoping anyway...
I did this last year and gained 2lb, Christmas week, STS on new year week. Was pleased :)

I'm going to attempt to stay on plan as far as poss in the lead up to Christmas - I weigh on a Wednesday ... (Christmas Day is a Wednesday!) so I'm going to try and find a class on the 24th or 23rd to keep me on track.

I also have a work function in December a few wks before, it's a dinner dance ( read as drink and dance like a clown).

I set myself a target of 20lbs from start oct to Xmas , I'm at -11 at the moment so fingers crossed can keep it up!!

Regards the big day.. I intend to enjoy Xmas dinner in all it's glory! Ours isn't very unhealthy anyway it's just the portion issues!!

As others have said... Think I'm going to stick to it right up until Xmas eve where I might allowe myself a cheeky mince pie! Christmas Day and Boxing Day I am going to eat a drink until I pop... Then will be right back on track. NYE will drink but try not to be too bad with food NYE/NYD. As someone said before.. Usually I would gain half a stone plus over Xmas so surely this will be better than that. Also I am not buying any goodies. No chocolate, cheese and crackers, nuts, crisps etc. usually I stock up on all sorts of christmas stuff that I end up eating... Because its there!
We all countdown to a loss for Christmas so I think it's defo worth thinking about it as far in advance x

I did this last year and gained 2lb, Christmas week, STS on new year week. Was pleased :)

I would be chuffed if I could manage something similar! Christmas week last year I gained 4lb and then 3.5lb NY week. If I could knock those down a bit this year that would be great! :) x

I am going to try to stick to plan as much as possible. But I have quite a few nights / meals out leading upto christmas so I think it may be a challenge. If I STS over christmas and new yr I would be happy with this.

Last christmas I was 6 months pregnant and had to have a gestational diabetes test the Friday before Christmas. So I had my very first sensible Christmas! It really did open my eyes to how much tat we buy just cos it's Christmas! I had a bottle of non-alcohol wine, and some non-alcohol ciders for new years eve. I had a WW pudding for christmas dinner, we didn't buy any sweets in and I only had one or two at other people's houses. I think this year will be the same, I've not drunk since having my son and with it being his first Christmas I'm more excited about playing with him than eating and drinking in front of the telly!

oh my god this has been stressing me out too!!
My weigh in is weds (aka christmas day and new years day) so my SW consultant has changed it to 27th and 2nd.

I HAVE NO IDEA whats going to happen. To be fair on my 4th week so hopefully I'll be a little more trained by then. My current goals are for my birthday which is January so I really cannot afford to mess up over Christmas.
The other part of me says- but it's Christmasssss.

So is it better to try and lose more up to the run up to account for expected gains? I don't know!

Christmas can all be done the Sw way I lost the 2 wks last year n still had yummy food it is doable.

I was 2 months pregnant last Christmas and had little appetite! Not much food and no alcohol meant I lost weight without trying! This month I won't drink too much. Don't fancy hangovers with my baby who will be almost 5 months, but food wise........I'm going to eat what I want Christmas Eve in the evening, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Will be ok-ish between then and New Years. Back on it 2nd Jan. I want to lose another stone by Christmas, so that will be 2 1/2 stone off and not too far from target!

I'm definitely having Christmas Eve & Christmas Day off. Not going to go crazy though as I don't want a huge gain. Also for the other days in the week I'll try and minimise my syns as damage limitation! Looking forward to booze, cheese & chocolate :D

I would be chuffed if I could manage something similar! Christmas week last year I gained 4lb and then 3.5lb NY week. If I could knock those down a bit this year that would be great! :) x
I just think I'm good most of the time, I can let myself go at Christmas, holiday, birthday :) I bet we can do Christmas with minimal gains! I certainly don't plan on binging like I did last year (I did expect more than 2lb I ate that much) cos I just felt ill! X

Back