What are your temptations / downfalls and how do you overcome them??

EatenMess

I'm interested to see how people sucessfully overcome self sabotage...

I've been doing SW off and on for years now and I'm feeling much more dedicated than i have for a while. I have been sucessful previously but i let 2 pregnancies be used as an excuse and have fallen off plan far too easy many times, i'm a sahm at the moment and find it much easier when i'm at work (although i can honestly say that through some very rough patches i didn't care less about what i was eating). I weighed in 2 weeks ago at the heaviest i've ever been - but have over the last few months figured out where i go wrong.

1. Picking off the kids plates (they have dinner earlier than us, as we enjoy sitting down together to eat in the evening) and i'm pleased to say for the last 3 weeks i've stopped picking from the kids plates all together

2. Drinking wine and getting the munchies (evenings are definaltey worse for me and especially when i've been drinking)

3. Takeaways - not just for a bad fix, but for convenience - when i cannot be bothered to cook (but i have only had 1 takeaway in 6 weeks AND no longer feel the craving i once had for pizza!)

4. Eating out - i LOVE gloing out for lunch, i always have a coouple of glasses of wine with it too and never choose 'sw friendly' options as i see it as a treat, to have somthing i wouldnt usually eat at home! (we've not been out for lunch for 4 weeks now - and although i miss it sometimes, i'm happy in the knowledge,it's good for me at the moment!)

5. Chocolate, Doritos and sweets ( have now become Mikados, Curly Wurlys, French Fries, Velvet Crunch, Chewits or refresher bars )

My downfall is definitley evenings watching tv I need something, so what I do is save some syns and plan my treats. Sometimes hold on to healthy extras, such as babybels, so I can have those. An options hot choc is a good one for me too

I am so glad to find out it is not just me!!

I don't usually pick off the kids plates, I usually eat their leftovers, even if I have just eaten my dinner with them and neither of them manage to finish theirs - they have quite healthy meals but eating 3 helpings is not that great.

I recently found the children's Easter eggs in the cupboard (my strange children aren't really chocolate fans - they like a few chocolate buttons but they didn't inherit my love of chocolate) and I quickly demolished 2 of them in one sitting, we also have a treat drawer with sweets etc in and if I start on them I find it hard to stop but if I steer clear then I am fine,

I now refuse to have crisps in the house as I will sit and eat them all, we usually have Doritos on the side if we have chilli for dinner and I used to get one of the big bags for the 3 of us and then eat what was left once the children were in bed, now I get 2 small individual bags and have a couple then make sure the children finish them or throw them away before they go to bed.

Evenings are most difficult for me, as I am a single parent, in the evenings when the children are in bed i end up eating because I'm bored or lonely, or tired. 1 biscuit turns into a couple which turns into a few which turns into the whole packet, I seem to be fine if I stay away from sweets, biscuits, chocolate and crisps completely but i don't want to have to stay away from them forever as I enjoy them, I just want to be able to have 1 or 2 every now and again, not 1 or 2 packets every night.

I don't know if it is the same for anyone else but I can go the whole day while the children are at school without eating a thing then I start to pick at things after I have picked them up from school and end up bingeing at night,mother start the next day with all the best intentions and finish the day exactly the same way I did the day before, bloated, feeling sick and with a severe lack of biscuits and chocolate in my cupboards!

What do you do to stop yourself falling into the same traps/downfalls time and time again? :)

My biggest downfall is that I can't have just one of something. I'm a major chocoholic and since starting slimming world have stayed clear of chocolate altogether (except options hot choc) because a curly wurly or fun size marsbar just doesn't satisfy me, it makes me crave it more. Anyone who knows me knows my motto is there's no fun in a fun size marsbar... Marsbar the size of a loaf of bread.... Now that's fun!

My downfalls used to be cheese, bread, crisps, choxolate and biscuits.

i could easily demolish a whole pack of biscuits with a cuppa or a sharing bag of doritos and dip with my boyfriend and all our meals used to come loaded with cheese and a garlic bread!

but ive managed to stop all that since joining slimming world, i have iron will power now!

when i do go off plan it tends to be a social event or because we're away. i do like saving syns and hex moat days for treats or if i know im not ill try and have things like syn free egg custards or rice pudding to have as evening snacks

A great tip; when the kids are finished their meals immediately spray kitchen cleaner on the plate to stop you eating the leftovers. I find this helps me! Eating at night: let me know if anyone has a good tip to stop the chocolate craving!!!! Have not found the answer to that one yet!

Would a low cal/low fat hot chocolate work on your chocolate cravings? Chocolatey taste, much fewer syns? It sometimes works for me in the evenings :)

hunter42 said:
A great tip; when the kids are finished their meals immediately spray kitchen cleaner on the plate to stop you eating the leftovers. I find this helps me! Eating at night: let me know if anyone has a good tip to stop the chocolate craving!!!! Have not found the answer to that one yet!

I havent bought any for a while but I went through I phase of making a fruit salad and warming up some choccy Philly and dipping the fruit. Lasts ages and gave me a good chocolate hit! Each small tub is 4.5 syns x

ScarlettStar86 said:
I havent bought any for a while but I went through I phase of making a fruit salad and warming up some choccy Philly and dipping the fruit. Lasts ages and gave me a good chocolate hit! Each small tub is 4.5 syns x

I bought some choccy Philly In the little tubs yesterday. Hopefully it'll give me a fix and be satisfying. Do you just stick it in the microwave?

Oooh choccy Philly - i must try that! x

I bought some choccy Philly In the little tubs yesterday. Hopefully it'll give me a fix and be satisfying. Do you just stick it in the microwave?

yes you have to keep a close eye on it though, i usually just heat it for 10-15 secs, just enough to warm slightly. might have to buy some now!

Back