What book are you reading?

icklerockchick

slow but steady!
Got lots of spare time at the moment so might as well make the most of it before I have to go back to work! Any recommendations for what I should read next? I like all sorts really, got to balance the real stuff with some trash! x

Do you like crime novels? I'm a hugh Harlan Coben fan. Never thought it would be my kind of thing but I picked up one of his books on holiday & since then I've read at least another 10. Some are better than others. His writing is excellent! And some characters are quite witty with brilliant sarcasm :)

I love Diane Chamerlain books. They are so good and i cant put them down. Only takes me a few days to read them.
Have a look on amazon for her name. The first ever one of hers i read with The Midwifes Confession, and ive been hooked on her books since. Love them.

I like pretty mardy stuff- anything by Iain Banks, Irvine Welsh, anything where someone gets raped/murdered/fiddled out of a family wealth in curious circumstances. Generally, I tend to dislike a happy ending.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Last things I read were the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy and the Hunger Games trilogy. Both totally cheesy but lovely enjoyable trash! x

Love love love love reading.

I reccomend anything by Nikki French - good if you like quite dark stuff.

I also recently read Daughters of Fortune by Tara Hyland - never heard of the author before but I got the book for Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it.

At the moment I'm reading The Seven Year Itch by Josie LLoyd and Emlyn Rees (their books are good too!) which I've read before. I like reading books more than once.

After that I'm moving on to the new Jill Mansell, I adore her books.

I also recently read One Day - but to be honest I didn't really like it. I watched the film afterwards as well just out of curiosity but I wasn't keen on that either.

Finished Anthony Trollope's Last Chronicle of Barset last week, since then I have read The Litigators by John Grisham (very good, very funny) and now I am half way through Innocence by David Hosp which I have to force myself to put down!

I've currently got 3 books on the go:

Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell - been reading this since I was bought it for Xmas, but it's a bit like wading through treacle, definitely not her best work.

I also have Complicit by Nicci French on the go -started reading it while visiting my parents at the weekend, so brought it back with me to finish off.

And then I also have my kindle, which I tend to read during my lunchbreak at work a couple of times a week. Not sure what I'm reading on there at the moment, as I tend to download a lot of the free books, have quite a few crime novels to wade through - in the middle of one of them atm, not sure what it's called or by who, just free and good enough for reading at work when I'm likely to be interupted even though I'm on my lunch break.

Got a whole pile of 2nd hand books sat at my parents place waiting to be read atm thanks to my sister buying me a whole stash of them as an extra Xmas pressie... I just bring a couple back with me each time I visit! Then once I've read them, they head back to the charity shop!

I'm reading the first Game of Thrones book at the mo. It is very interesting, and well written.

Series 3 starts soon! I've read them all though so I'll shut up. ;)

And Hunger Games (the film) is out soon. My kids can't wait - they just hope the film lives up to the books.

Jez - have you read any Iain Banks sci-fi stuff? Got son into that and he loves them. The Player of Games is on my top ten.

I tend to have 3 books on the go depending on mood. I'm re-working my way through Dorothy Dunnett's House of Niccolai series atm. Not read them for years. I redid her Lymond series before that. She outranks every other writer of historical fiction by miles. No romantic tosh - just intelligent writing.

If you like quirky and weird have you read any Jasper Fforde? Shades of Grey was one of the best books I'd read in a while and I'm still delving into his Tuesday Next series.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jasper-Fforde/e/B000APXZAC

I'm currently reading The Help. I love it, am half way through it.
I recently read One Day and I really enjoyed it, I reckon it's a marmite book because people tend to love or hate and nothing much in between! I've heard some strong opinions about it so had to read it for myself.
One of my favourite authors is Jodi Picoult, I really do enjoy her books.

Korrigan said:
Jez - have you read any Iain Banks sci-fi stuff? Got son into that and he loves them. The Player of Games is on my top ten.

No I haven't- do you know I've never fancied them? I expected them to be a bit like The Bridge and I hated that. Should give them a go really, I know everyone raves on them.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Last things I read were the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy and the Hunger Games trilogy. Both totally cheesy but lovely enjoyable trash! x

I've read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogys too, boy there was some tough reading in those books!

I'll be starting the Hunger Games trilogy today! I hear it's great, wanted to read them before the film comes out in March.

LisaC said:
I've read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogys too, boy there was some tough reading in those books!

I'll be starting the Hunger Games trilogy today! I hear it's great, wanted to read them before the film comes out in March.

I loved the hunger games read them all within 24 hours and that included sleeping and other such normal activities. Hard to put down and a nice quick read since they are for kids :) x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Just bought 2 new books - The Help and The best Marigold hotel - want to read em before I see the films - always prefer the books to films and like to have a picture in my head of what I think the characters look like not what Hollywood reckons they do.

I saw The Help, thought it was brilliant!! My friend who read the book first did say a lot of the book isn't in the film, she said the book's better :)

I didn't know The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel was a novel! I think the film looks good.

im on the final book in the hunger games trilogy...i dont want them to end :(

Back