What causes you to go off plan/binge?

b_44

Silver Member
I was thinking earlier about what causes me to go off plan and/or binge. I realised that there's a variety of reasons but the most common one being, as odd as it may sound, that I get a random thought pop into my head that I want to eat a lot of food and that I should buy a pack of donuts, for example. Usually, there really is no reason for it and is literally a thought that pops into my head that I dont fight, I just go along with it. It's as though in the space if one second I can go from doing really well, totally in the dieting zone, and then a flick just switches and I want to go food crazy. I never thought I did, but I do use food as a comfort. Sitting and eating a packet of cakes does make me happy and I wish it didn't.

What causes you to binge, or go off plan, and what do you do to try and prevent it?

Defo my hubby lol Hes in the army and doesnt really have to check his diet because of the amount of exercise he does :( Plus he is naturally skinny (&%£%"*&£$&"^$^$&-Grrr) :(

So when he comes in after work and says "dont worry about cooking, i order something". I hardly put up any resistance :(
I get my best results when hubby is on a course or exercise and I can just plod on by myself lol

A bad day at work, i sometimes deal with very rude people, and if they kick off when im feelin a bit down it can hit me like a tonne of bricks! Thats when i binge, im defo an emotional eater!

I was thinking earlier about what causes me to go off plan and/or binge. I realised that there's a variety of reasons but the most common one being, as odd as it may sound, that I get a random thought pop into my head that I want to eat a lot of food and that I should buy a pack of donuts, for example. Usually, there really is no reason for it and is literally a thought that pops into my head that I dont fight, I just go along with it. It's as though in the space if one second I can go from doing really well, totally in the dieting zone, and then a flick just switches and I want to go food crazy. I never thought I did, but I do use food as a comfort. Sitting and eating a packet of cakes does make me happy and I wish it didn't.

What causes you to binge, or go off plan, and what do you do to try and prevent it?

This is me exactly! And I am in that zone ATM. How do you put the brakes on and get back on the wagon?

With me its change of routine....or for example....this week I've been away up the caravan since Sunday and will be coming home today...because I usually have all my syns by Sunday night (I weigh on a Wednesday evening) ...knowing that I needed to save my syns for the caravan days because I know I wouldn't b on plan there....plus I was going out sat night for me oh football presentation....knowing that id need to be syn free wed, Thurs, Fri,and Sunday the pressure was too much for me and I've ended up not being on plan all week :( will b back on plan tomorrow but I find much easier of sticking to my normal syn routine of using them all by the time the weekend is over and going syn free Mon - wed untill I weigh in....i feel like crap now though :( wish I had more willpower...plus its the week before my star week and I should have known id be getting my sweet tooth cravings....should have flaxisynned....but aw well I've had a nice time just dreading the damage on the scales :/ going to have the minimum syns this week to try and compensate x

With me its change of routine....or for example....this week I've been away up the caravan since Sunday and will be coming home today...because I usually have all my syns by Sunday night (I weigh on a Wednesday evening) ...knowing that I needed to save my syns for the caravan days because I know I wouldn't b on plan there....plus I was going out sat night for me oh football presentation....knowing that id need to be syn free wed, Thurs, Fri,and Sunday the pressure was too much for me and I've ended up not being on plan all week :( will b back on plan tomorrow but I find much easier of sticking to my normal syn routine of using them all by the time the weekend is over and going syn free Mon - wed untill I weigh in....i feel like crap now though :( wish I had more willpower...plus its the week before my star week and I should have known id be getting my sweet tooth cravings....should have flaxisynned....but aw well I've had a nice time just dreading the damage on the scales :/ going to have the minimum syns this week to try and compensate x

This is exactly why even when saving syns you should use at least 5 a day and even better, using flexible syns for special occasions so you don't feel deprived and have a mad binge to make up for it. Well done for getting back on it. If you do have a gain draw a line and look forward, no point dwelling on it x

Yeah ill learn from my mistakes :)

Mine is not planning. If I dont have every day planned out I know I will take the lazy option and stuff myself with cheese toasties on white bread with coleslaw or a big white roll, cakes, cookies etc. I know the key to my success is sitting with a pen and paper every sunday night and planning 3 meals a day for the week, then buying it on monday. That way it takes the choice out of it.

Im very similar when i'm on the diet i'm always 100% and even plan out my syns so i know if i'm going to be using them in a meal or if i can have a treat.

But just like this week the hubby got a promotion and all of a sudden i had a massive urge just to binge? Which i have no idea why?? I was doing so well as well and then BAM one little niggle which i can usually push to one side has taken over and i've sabotaged this week diet and probably put on what i have lost over the last two weeks!

Grr so annoyed with my self :(

For me is it when I haven't planned out my day. Like yesterday I was off to babysit for my cousin and she was make inner for me. Because I didn't know what it was going to be I took it to mean that I couldn't possibly stick to plan and so had a bit of a bad day :( . There was no reason for me to do this because my cousin is actually doing SW too and I didn't know about it so the meal was completely syn free! But when I don't have complete control that's when I lose track.
rhian x

Most things. I crave bad things (or just food in general) when I'm either bored, upset or stressed about something, which is most of the time. Especially when I have deadlines to meet. Its the worst thing almost being addicted to something that you need in order to live.

I seem to be the opposite kind of emotional eater, I eat when I'm happy and not at all when sad / stressed. So if I'm in a good mood I'll be like ah life's for living, I'll have pizza, cider, crisps etc. But then I get down about the overeating, feel like a failure, stop eating again. I equate slimness with miserableness as a result.

I agree with everyone who says lack of planning or an unexpected event/day. Throughout the week i'll plan each meal & snacks, be in total control & stick to the plan 99% of the time. But if I end up at someone else's for tea or visit my family for the weekend that's where there is the potential to lose it. Especially as the 'one day off won't hurt' comments start. I just guess life gets in the way sometimes and no-one can be 100% perfect.

This is exactly why even when saving syns you should use at least 5 a day and even better, using flexible syns for special occasions so you don't feel deprived and have a mad binge to make up for it. Well done for getting back on it. If you do have a gain draw a line and look forward, no point dwelling on it x

Yeah I'm the same when I'm away from home and out of routine, which will be this weekend, so I'm gonna try flexi-syn, be careful in the run up to and after the weekend. Hoping it works. A maintain on the scales would be a relief but when I get a gain, it can knock back a couple of weeks hard work.

For me it is being busy at work at eating later than normal, so I reach for a snack to keep me going.
The wi treat, something I like bit have to limit to maybe once a month or so.
And the biggy emotions. When I am stressed, depressed or suffering bad anxiety.

Also a bit worried that my first maintain/gain/teeny tiny loss week will send me off track too.

Great thread! I go off the rails when I am not at home and don't have control over what food is being prepared. I also tend to go off plan a bit when i've had a couple of drinks on a night out or if I am hungover the next day! :eek:

Mine is boredom... pure and simple. I only work part-time and although I have horses, sometimes the weather is really bad so I can't go to the yard (where there is NO food) so I'm at home at lot of time on my own. This is why you will find me wandering about on here.... if I keep reading everyone's success stories, my feet are less likely to sneak me over to the cupboard where my syns are stashed! :p

I don't seem to have a trigger it just happens! fortunately it isn't too often as I plan, plan, plan!

I do a month's plan at a time. For the first time I've planned 3 meals a day so I know exactly how many syns I'll be using in meals and how many I've got left for the rest of the week (I'm one of those who tends to have more at the weekend and less during the week so do my syns weekly).

I've found by planning for all 3 meals I've not gone off plan at all so far.

Denise

For me it is being busy at work at eating later than normal, so I reach for a snack to keep me going.
The wi treat, something I like bit have to limit to maybe once a month or so.
And the biggy emotions. When I am stressed, depressed or suffering bad anxiety.

Also a bit worried that my first maintain/gain/teeny tiny loss week will send me off track too.

I had a big gain a few weeks ago that I felt knocked me back abit,normally this would've made me quit,this is what I've done in the past but I just had to accept I am human,blips will happen,dusted meself off & back on track. Try not to be too hard on yourself?

Good thread :) For me it's a variety of things such as boredom or anxiety normally, but for example this week it was the smell of fresh bread in Waitrose combined with being a bit miffed at myself for not getting a loss this week... and that triggered a full on binge for a whole evening where I ended up consuming 3/5 of a french stick :eek: But then I'll be angelic for months at a time... it just depends.

Back