What do people think are the best exercises for those on VLCD's?

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by mikey, 19 June 2008 Social URL.

1. mikey

mikey Silver Member

Diet:
    LighterLife
    Hi all,
    I was just wondering what exercises people think work best on VLCD's such as LL.

As I see it there are several options - all of which can be combined, but which do people think have the best results for a) continued weight-loss whilst on the diet, b) muscle toning, c) muscle building, d) general health

The different fitness regimes seem to be:

1) walking, cycling, swimming (inc running machines and cycling machines ertc.)
    2) doing the LL exercise plan
    3) weights / weight machine
    4) isometric exercises
    5) .... Wii fit

I reckon it is a combination of all of the above if possible, but am struggling to fit much into my day. I have cycling machine, rowing machine, treadmill, weights, and various other contraptions that pretty much gather dust as i do not have space for them to all be used together.

What do you do - what works best for toning up the muscles and removing flab at the same time?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Tange

Tange Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    16st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    CD
    Hi Mike,

If I am to understand correctly we do not build muscle as such on LL because of the low calorie intake.
    I do walking (or did until I sprained my ankle) Incorporated it into my day, by getting up earlier and walking to work about 45mins to an hour and then doing the same in the evening. I had much bigger losses doing this. I can see now that I am not exercising how the losses have slowed down.
    If you have those machines why not use them. I did some research and found a whole host of medical papers on VLCD's which were very interesting (wish I had kept the link) according to that low impact exercise such as walking and weights were the best.
    My idea with exercise is to make it habit I don't care what I do but I need to know that come August (when I hope to go into RTM I will be going to the gym 3 times a week and walking atleast 4 times a week)

I suppose what I am saying is do some form of exercise in the time that you have.

See give me a chance to talk and I talk too much.

T

4. Tange

Tange Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    16st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    CD
  5. mikey

mikey Silver Member

Diet:
    LighterLife
    Thanks Tange - some good points.

I want to make exercise a habit too - I have done so before and hope to do it again soon!

By building muscle, I guess I was really thinking of protecting and toning it whilst on LL, but building it back whilst on RTM.

I know that lean muscle burns more calories than fat and therefore raises overall metabolism, but I also understand that the diet is very limited in protein for this. It is probably why If I have urges to eat, it is pretty much all around protein.

I have done some isometric exercises over the last few weeks - and they hare helping tone up muscle - also they can be done very quickly and some of them when working or watching TV. I have also been on the Wii fit and the treadmill, but the treadmill is so boring!

I am also now slim enough to use the new exercise bike I bought as a silly price in Tesco a while back, but which has a max weight of 15 stone so i will probably build that at the weekend and get pedalling!

As I think of it, I really should get back in the habt of a cycle ride 2-3 times a week. So much to do - so little time :)

6. Tange

Tange Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    16st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    CD
    I was just thinking to myself, six months ago I would not even consider running for a bus and listen to me now, gym 3 times a week :D:D

I have decided I want a toned stomach, I am lucky enough to have lost all the fat around my midrif so my ab exerciser is working overtime. Will be much better to have a six pack than a barrel ;)

7. mikey

mikey Silver Member

Diet:
    LighterLife
  8. mikey

mikey Silver Member

Diet:
    LighterLife

LOL - you reminded me that I have got one of those too - must dust that out too!

My tasks are abs and pecs - these are the most important for me and my self esteem, but I have noticed that i need to work on my butt for the fisrt time ever as it seems to have disappeared (probably the reason that I can easily get into 32" jeans now). It also reminde me of an elephant's bum as without tone, it has sagged a bit :-(

9. Tange

Tange Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    16st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    CD
    Lets not talk about bums mine is also sagging. Its rather depressing but hey ho.

I had to laugh it mine looks like and elephant bum too just a lot smaller thankfully.

10. mikey

mikey Silver Member

Diet:
    LighterLife
    LOL - mine is smaller too - fortunately. I had a friend (lady) laughing yesterday when I explained that I was rather elephant-like (at least in the bottom area!).

11. toller-girl

toller-girl constantly confused

Start Weight:
    12st11lb
    Current Weight:
    12st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(5.59%)
    Diet:
    was Lighter Life, now Cambridge Diet
    I'm pretty sure you can build muscle on a VLCD. I was doing loads of resistance type stuff and I definitely noticed an increase in muscle.

12. mikey

mikey Silver Member

Diet:
    LighterLife
    Thanks for that TG. I guess with the additives in LL foodpacks it is possible to build some muscle but I am not sure if there are enough proteins and essential fats to build much of it - any ideas anyone?

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.