What do you do on the weekend that doesn't involve food?

Caz

Repeat Offender
My boyfriend and I are both doing S&S at the moment. We're in a long distance relationship with him being about 100 miles apart so we only have the weekends together and see each other most weekends. Before our weekends usually consisted of a meal out somewhere, going out for the day (usually having lunch lunch) and other things like that. Now that we can't do food out as we're both doing S&S and because we're on a bit of a tight budget (saving for holiday, to move etc.) weekends are tricky! We end up spending a lot of time watching things on TV, which is fine because we've found some great tv programmes to watch and we enjoy it. It's not really something that we want to do all weekend every weekend, sometimes it's nice to do other things as well. Things that involve actually doing something or going out somewhere! I think f we can find other things to do it'll make weekends much easier, we won't feel tempted to have the usual food routine.

Has anyone else found themselves in the same position before? What things have you started doing instead of your usual habits? Or does anyone have any suggestions?

Cinema / theatre wouldn't involve food. Going for rambles / long walks would burn calories and you could take a bar with you to snack on.

Cinema/theatre is a good idea except it's so expensive and I have a popcorn weakness haha I think I'd be ok though, he doesn't like popcorn so would keep me on the straight and narrow there. It really is so expensive though for what it is.

Walks are good though, we used to do them a bit more often with his dog but haven't in a while. Once it starts warming up I might recommend that as a regular weekend thing.

Mmmm, I agree popcorn is so hard to resist, I like to smell it though (which may sound weird !) and that seems to be enough to offset the cravings if I'm in a strong mood.

Lots of museums/art galleries are free if you can find any interesting ones near you. Have a wander round car boot sales. Also if you type free things to do and your area in google it will probably come up with loads of stuff.

Walking is a great one - and you can vary it every time - the are always new places to go. It may not be possible on your budget but I love sitting in a coffee shop with my other half (I have a blck Americano - even now that I'm at goal...) and chatting. Do you have any nice parks around? Noce for walks in the winter (just dress warmly - no need to wait for better weather) and for playing games in the warmer weather - such as a bot of badmington or throwing a ball around or something. After you've reached goal you micght want to think about going running together, or taking up boxing or other fitness things. It really helps me that my hisband is also into fitness so one or other of us will always drag the other one to the gym if necessary!

Me = crocheting and as a family = geocaching (hi tech treasure hunting for some of the 2 million hidden containers to find around the world). All you need is a gps or a smartphone with a gps.

This is the problem I have! Weekends for me and OH would usually involve going in to town for a drink/meal and I'd cook us something nice on the Sunday. Also nice weekend breakfasts :( I really need a hobby! I can follow S&S fine through the week but I struggle SO much at the weekend!

Sex :D

Burns cals and if you take your time the weekend will fly...

Cherry - I'm quite far from museums or art galleries, live fairly rurally. He probably has a few near him though, will have a look. I love car boot sales actually, I end up coming back with too much junk though haha I'm sure he'd be able to help my control my buying urges lol

Weasey - a coffee shop would be on our budget, not a fan of coffee though or even tea really! Could be an idea sometimes though, just as a way to just get out. No different to being at home really but it's a different place so feels like an outing lol We had talked about badminton actually but both our local leisure centres are really expensive! It's £10 for an hours hire but you then have to pay extra for hiring equipment, works out to about £20 for just an hour. Seems a lot to me!

StripedDaisy - We've just been talking about geocaching actually. I'd never heard of it before but sounds interesting. Think it's a good way to find walks to do and give us more reason to do them, makes it a little more interesting. Going to give it a try.

Felix - Really is hard isn't it?! I'm fine all week, think we motivate each other then because I don't want to be the one failing and letting him down and vice versa. Weekends we're both together and struggling and if we do go off plan it's both of us so that guilt isn't there. I think the key really is just finding other things to do, we miss our trips to the pub and going out for food!

Sex :D

Burns cals and if you take your time the weekend will fly...

Haha I'm not sure that we could have sex ALL weekend long! LOL

Back