What do you do when you go to the shops?

Silvermoonbeam

Hoping somebody will see this before I hit the shops.

I like to go shopping on a Saturday, you know a mooch around, then I usually stop and get lunch which is normally something like a sandwich and latte or soup. If I am really hungry then it could be a Greggs pastie thrown in a few hours later. ;) Or a bar of chocolate or whatever.

BUT now I am on Atkins I don't know what to eat today when I am out, sure I could take an Atkins bar and a bit of cheese but you know having lunch out is a bit of a treat..............so was thinking could have a full English breakfast, hold the beans, tomatoes and toast, but then no the sausage might be mega carby......can't go to the likes of Costa as it's all sarnies, did the McDonalds thing the other week of having the burger, no bun, just salad and it filled the hole but I really didn't like it to be honest.

Any ideas please?

What about a nice omelette with salad or prawn/ chicken salad in department store cafe? I took a small prepacked chunk of cheese to hairdressers to avoid the biscuits yesterday :)

What about a nice omelette with salad or prawn/ chicken salad in department store cafe? I took a small prepacked chunk of cheese to hairdressers to avoid the biscuits yesterday :)

Thanks slaj, I think it will be an omelette and salad, not sure about the cafe salads, what about the dressing?

I will take an Atkins bar and a Babybel in my bag too, just in case I get the urge to be naughty. ;)

I find it soooo frustrating in town, trying to find something to eat. The one place I can eat is a one-off cafe/cheese shop which does a goat's cheese and bacon salad, even then I have to tell them no bread and hold the sugar-filled chutney. And the government scratches its head and asks why we're all so fat. Tsk tsk.

When I bought my salad it was in a French PATISSERIE!!! And the girl offered me a bread roll with my salad and I said NO!! And all around me people were eating cake, but me I had none. :)

It is quite difficult though to eat out for lunch I am finding, haven't been to a restaurant for dinner but can see that would be a little easier, then again maybe next time I could go to a Chinese or Indian and have chicken something or other..........mmmm.......thinking, thinking...........;)

I was going to recommend Nandos too - dh and i had lunch there today - so yummy and legal:)
Yes there's one in kingston see http://www.nandos.co.uk/restaurant/kingston

Other chains that work well are gourmet burger kitchen (they'll serve your burger no bun or chips and nice salad) and Strada do a steak salad to die for. Pizza express is doable if you have the salad - but i dont like seeing all those pizzas around!

Worst case - you can always go to mcdonalds and chuck the bun and not have fries - cant say i would bother:p

The Grilled Chicken salad at McDonalds is pretty good... just watch the dressing (I tend to get a tub of the sour cream dip they use for the Chicken Strips).

Chinese is easy - get a serving of Egg Foo Yung (essentially, scrambled egg with lots of stuff in it... I tend to order the "special" one, and it's got prawns, pork, chicken, beef, and some veg in it). Indian is easy too... tandoori chicken (no sauce) and salad. I often get chicken kebabs at takeaways as well... just ask for no bread and extra salad. A little mayo and there you go!

I know it's hard though - I go shopping with my MIL and SIL (who are on Scottish Slimmers) and I have to really be careful what I get when I'm out with them. They nibble on their little skinny sandwiches, then go get a cake (?!)

Nando's is awesome! There are 2 around Southampton and i've been to the one in Cardiff so they are around. Best thing is their website actual lists all nutritional info on all food so you can plan to the slightest carb before you go. Not the cheapest place but still good. If you google Nandos and go to their website you can find out if there is one near you.

What about a subway salad? You can take any Subway 6 inch and change it into a salad bowl instead.

Justice UK said:
What about a subway salad? You can take any Subway 6 inch and change it into a salad bowl instead.

I usually do that! I choose the lowest carb salad and usually have double grilled chicken on it. It's lovely! In fact, that's what I'm having for tea! Hehe

Indeed there is a Nando's in Cardiff, and several Subways. Just a bit further for me to walk from the office but I guess it's good for me. Ta!

Back