what do you eat when your ill?

spudnik

Hi, Im fairly new to sw been doing it since beginning of january and lost 11lbs which im exstatic with i love sw so much tasty food etc everything was going well until i fell on monday, really bad sore throat even having a drink was so so painful, burning up, horrid cough, headaches, full blown cold etc which threw me totally off plan with my eating, i managed to have some watermelon like 2 small cubes and some spag bol sw style on monday, tuesday i had some melon and a spoonful of pasta in sauce and some fat free yogurt which my bf froze for me, but it really wasnt soothing my throat all i wanted was ice cream of which i ate about 3/4 of a 500g tub but it had choc n toffee sauce in :( but it didnt half soothe my throat! thats all i had on that day.

wednesday i didnt have anything to eat until tea time which ended up being a heinz cup a soup cream of tomato and a soft baguette with some cheese on which i just about managed to swallow, not the best choice i know but i was feeling drained and burning up and didnt have the energy to cook anything.

yesterday i was still feelin the same and stupidly i ordered a take out, got a stuffed crust pizza with chips i had 2 slices of pizza and a few chips i still havent really got my appetite back (pre sw i would have eaten at least half the pizza and most the chips!)

I have also had medicine like day nurse and cough syrup plus halls/soothers/suckable sweets as i have a really dry tickly cough soon as ive had a drink my throat is bone dry again its horrid.

today ive managed to eat alpen light bars for breakfast and i will try to have some lunch something like pasta with veg as my throat is feeling better and i really want to get back on plan asap.

just wondering what you guys eat when your ill? im not looking forward to the scales on monday i bet ive gained loads from the pizza n ice-cream :( i didnt even enjoy the pizza i thought id much have preferred a nice big salad! i also had bad belly ache i think cus it was so fattening it just didnt appeal anymore, my body is used to healthy stuff now.

I have things like beans on toast or if you like heinz spaghetti thats free on green and extra easy days, i like to make spaghetti and cheese toasties using my HEA cheese and HEB wholemeal bread, although saying that toast might not be good for a sore throat, hope you feel better soon :)

I have things like beans on toast or if you like heinz spaghetti thats free on green and extra easy days, i like to make spaghetti and cheese toasties using my HEA cheese and HEB wholemeal bread, although saying that toast might not be good for a sore throat, hope you feel better soon :)

Its only free on EE when you have 1/3 superfree so she would also need to have fruit or salad etc with beans & toast :)

thanks, i did have some spaghetti on monday i forgot about that but we only had 1 tin of it in, it was the really long stuff which put me off though i only like short spaghetti and was horrified when i opened it and it was soooo long lol but i love normal long pasta haha im very odd! i dont do EE i just do green days as im veggie :)

thanks, i did have some spaghetti on monday i forgot about that but we only had 1 tin of it in, it was the really long stuff which put me off though i only like short spaghetti and was horrified when i opened it and it was soooo long lol but i love normal long pasta haha im very odd! i dont do EE i just do green days as im veggie :)

ah well then thats perfect on Green, i'm like you too, I hate the long spagetti, I love the spagetti hoops :drool:

You should try soups when you're not feeling too good, they aren't heavy on your tummy and some can give you a wee perk! Hope you feel better soon :)

I would say your best bet is homemade soup - it will soothe your throat, and will fill you up, plus its got the vitamins you need in it. Chicken soup would be good as it gets some protein in you too.

Toast is scratchy on your throat - I'd hate to eat that with a horrid cold.

The ice cream definitely will have helped you as well - you could have got one of those small tubs and it would have been within your syns. but thats for next time.

You can also save a load of syns on medicines. Some hot water with no added sugar squash in is just as good for a sore throat as a lemsip - but its free. Lemsip is basically paracetamol, decongestant and some flavouring. You can get the pain relief & decongestant from the pharmacy without using syns. Remember you can also take ibuprofen & paracetamol togehter (presuming you aren't allergic to one of them of course) for short periods of time, and don't take more than you should etc etc.

Strepsils are 0.5 a syn each, and cough syrup is 2 syns a tablespoon so I use sparingly when ill. I do use some syns for a Hot toddy in the evening, lemon juice , a squeeze of honey & a good measure of whisky. Knocks you right out :)

oh good advice thanks, maybe i should have an emergency box in my freezer with a small tub of ice-cream, some soup etc so should illness strike im prepared! i usually do have soup in the freezer but id run out, my fella tends to take some for his lunch to work with him so when i think i have soup left i dont lol when i have a sore throat i cant stand anything fruit flavoured so lemsip is out of the question anyway, i was having minty halls to suck on, i will just have to put this week behind me and im trying to get back on plan today although i think my tummy has shrunk as i just have no appetite! thanks for your advice all :)

I've been ill all week, ended up drifting off slimming world cos i just wanted chocolate. I tried to stick to my normal slimming world menu but went over my syns a lot. So I am no help with this haha

Well done on your loss so far! And sorry to hear you're poorly.

When I'm ill the last thing I want to do is focus on food to be honest, so I make sure i fill up on comfort foods SW style.*

I'll make pasta bakes, spaghetti bolognaise, jackets with mince & passata. All hots foods. Not forgetting making SW soup which I love & is so filling.

If you don't feel hungry because you're poorly, don't force yourself. Try to stick to plan as much a you can. Filling up on fruit will probably make your mood feel good. And above all, focus on getting better :)

If you're feeling lousy then there's a REALLY quick way to make homemade soup - get one of those bags of frozen casserole veg (swede, carrot, onion, celery, turnip usually) and add to a couple of pints of stock made with stock cubes, boil for half an hour and blend with a hand wand - it's a bit dull, but it's not bad, it's free and it's soothing to a bunged up head (and there are still some vitamins in there, too).

Back