What do you tell people?

tinkerbellsmum

Gold Member
I've done cd before and people knew and nagged me about it all the time so i was hoping not to tell them this time. The food packs make it great for me to eat in front of people but how do you explain the quick weightloss?

I'll just tell them I'm on a diet and because I have so much to lose I'm losing it pretty quick.

Thank them for sharing their opinion and ask where they found that scientific evidence as its quite concerning and not something you'd come across in you own extensive research.

Great answer noodles must remember that one. I lost 4 stone over a year ago with lighter life ( put a lot back on thats why i am here ) and I have to admit I did keep it quiet for as long as I could, but found everyone was really great about it especially when they seen the results. I only had negative comments from one person, at the end of the day it's my choice and
no one else's concern

I tell people. And then I roll my eyes when they something negative and say whilst sighing "nooo it's not dangerous" and then roll my eyes again... I'm sick of people condescending me and being rude... Over and over again. So I'm just going to be rude back. It's working too. Probably because people are scared to say anything now lol

I don't mention it unless I have to. Just told people at work (if they asked) that I was having a protein shake for lunch as I often skipped lunch (due being so busy and skipping it) and then went home starving and vacuumed up the contents of the kitchen, and I couldn't keep gaining weight like this. The way we work I can easily hide it from most colleagues anyway. This was last time round - it hasn't come up at all this time round yet but I suspect it will today.

I told two people exactly what I was doing at work and they were fine and supportive with it, as I knew they would be. Again, that was last time round. One of those knows I am doing it again now.

Obviously, my husband knows but I asked him not to tell anyone. I ended up telling his parents that I was on a diet several weeks in (to avoid a meal round there house) but didn't go anywhere near telling them what kind.

I've done so many diets now *sigh* I bore myself with them. One of the motivating factors for not mentioning it at all is to avoid being a 'diet bore'. I try to just get on with it and not mention it in 'real life' and do all my 'talking' on here, in my diary.

Last edited:
I would just say its because I'm eating better and exercising more so it looks like im losing faster. I have not told anyone I am on this diet yet as my husband would not be very happy, he is against them since I did CD and regained the weight. However as it looks like I am eating similar meals to him just with lots of veg bunged on top.

It's horrible why people feel they have a right to judge. I think my issue will be I regained it all back from cd but that's my prob not there's. maybe I will get away with it maybe ill just cross that bridge when it comes

Always makes me laugh how people feel they can comment!!!

How can losing the weight and being healthier be bad?? You do what's right for you and s** everyone else.... I use the negativity to fuel me.... I know this works for me.....

Good luck!!

X

If people ask, I just say "by eating a lot less and drinking more water", for some reason when you mention packs and what not people automatically think bad of it, but if you just tell them in a different way they admire you lol

I'm just being honest when people ask me. People can think and say what they want. I am doing something about my weight rather than continue to put more on, and what I choose to do it up to me. Most people are being ok, had some say they are just worried about me and what me to stay safe! I've said I know what I am doing and thank you for worrying!

I just don't tell ppl! If they ask me have I lost weight I just say maybe a little I've stopped drinking coke then change subject! I'm one of those types of ppl who dwells on things so negative comments etc play on my mind for a long time. I've only told 5 ppl I'm doing this diet.

Hi there, I'm new to the whole VLCD thing but totally know where you are coming from, I only started yesterday in fact but I have decided not to tell anyone as I know I have many people in my life who would happily lecture me on any diet I go on especially a VLCD and how bad they are for you and I just want to be left alone to give this my best shot, maybe I'm a coward but I just want to get on with things myself and not spend my time explaining myself to everyone. All I have said so far was that I was trying a low carb diet and that was to my mum and she seemed to not go into it too much just wished me luck with it so that is fine. I live on my own which is an added bonus as nobody can see what I'm having daily plus I control all food coming into the house or lack of it in this case! and when people are around thats when I will have the 100g of Quorn and the bar as that will not raise any eyebrows whereas if I am seen having shakes it will not take them long to put two and two together hey! Em

And the reality is that most celebs who lose weight claiming to do other "healthy" diets probably secretly do a VLCD. Lets face it, they always seem to drop weight very very fast, and we all know what makes us lose weight fast!

I have told very few people that i am doing this, not because i am ashamed but because when i did Lighter Life a few years ago some people were terribly judgemental about it...

what really really really bugs me tho, is that look/comment that you get that this sort of diet is not healthy and that no-one ever keeps off the weight anyway... Most VCLDs are done under the supervision of the doctor and are more healthy than if we all went and did the cabbage soup diet for 6 months...

I admit to being a serial yo-yo dieter, ive done them all to be honest, lost lots of weight with weightwatchers, calorie counting, lighter life and now this... and usually within a couple of years i have re-gained all the weight (apart from this time obviously! :p) So I am proof, that it doesnt matter HOW you lose the weight... what counts is what you do AFTER you've lost the weight... if you dont change those lifetime habits, then you gain it back its as simple as that. And that is what I say to those people who make that comment now... and then I ignore them, its my choice and nothing to do with them what I do anyway...the important thing is that I am doing something...

My sister in law is a long term large lady who is doing WW and fair play to her, she is losing weight, but it is taking a long long time. I know when she finds out, she will be terribly sanctimonious about me doing this and how it "clearly doesnt work and the only way to do it is to do it slowly". well, she is of course entitled to her way and her opinion. But I am entitled to mine too... and I dont want to faff about for 3 years to lose it... and this time i am trying to change my thinking on the journey so that i dont gain it back again! (and I really mean it this time!!)

sorry rant over!

Last edited:
Me doing this has actually prompted one of my friends who is on Slimming World to stick with it as she doesn't want me to be the skinny friend standing next to her having not lost weight, and I don't want her to be the skinny friend standing next to me having not lost weight. We want to be the skinny twins :)

Your right there if slimming clubs worked we only need to go once. Slimming clubs put loads of myths out there that losing weight slowly is good for u to make there slow losers feel better and to keep members longer. I have done every diet under the sun to and regain these type of diets I stick at longer and I get more vits on than I would a normal diet. This way I get to break my sugar addiction. Don't get me wrong I'm sure clubs work for some people and they have for me in the past but people need to see its not the only way.

Back