What do you tell your children?

I have 2 young girls (7 and 5) and am very aware I don't want to tell them mummy is on a diet. When I was growing up my mum was always on one diet or other and my dad was always sneaking chocolate without her knowing lol and I'm sure it's got something to do with my weight issues now.

i tried the 5:2 diet earlier this year and my eldest started asking why I wasn't eating or why I was eating different. I always made up an excuse but knew it wasn't a long term thing. Now on sw I know I can cook meals that we can all eat together and the children don't need to know anything is different. This is why I'm a little reluctant to do the EESP as my meals would have to be different.

What are others thoughts on what you tell children regarding loosing weight?

So with the EE plan its very family friendly and we don't have to tell our children (or anyone else for that matter) anything. We can just say we are following a healthy eating regime, we still have syns to use so can have a treat now and then (I have my treats mostly on the weekend). I know where you are coming from tho as I worry that my years of dieting have reflected on my children (now in their twenties). Children are in schools now taught about healthy eating, exercise and five a day etc so your children will accept what you teach / tell them. SW really is a good family friendly plan - we can choose to eat what we want. Good luck with your weight loss journey :)

Don't tell them anything.

EESP is not the main plan, it is a quick booster short-term plan, and you don't have to do it at all.

Cook healthy meals from the EE plan, keep quiet about it, they probably won't notice, but they will benefit.

If i ate what my 2 year old are, then I wouldn't need to lose weight now! When she asks for a snack k give her fruit or carrot sticks etc. but if I want a snack I grab rubbish! I think like soon2bslimvhick said if you follow ee then you are just eating healthy and you probably don't even need to say anything.

Hi, I have 3 girls (5, 4 & 2) and I'm also aware of not wanting to give them the wrong idea about dieting and body image. Extra easy is so good for family meals. My husband has done SW alongside me and we always have meals together as a family and they're none the wiser. On the occasion my eldest has asked about something, like why we have different sausages, we say we're having these ones because they are a bit healthier, that those sausages are fine for you because you're still growing but Mummy and Daddy don't want to grow anymore!

My weigh in is in the evening, after they've gone to bed, they know I go to a group to talk about eating healthily but not that the focus is on losing weight.

It's funny that we've lost so much weight and they haven't really noticed!! Sometimes people ask them about it and they haven't a clue what they're on about.

I'm so glad I've come this far and they have a healthier mummy and daddy.

I agree with everyone else - don't tell them anything! My mum was always on a diet when I was younger, she tried every fad diet going and never sat with us or had meals at the table with us. She made us feel eating sometimes wasn't 'normal' or was 'a treat' for being good (giving us food related treats for being good) She was always going on about how 'fat' she was which really wasn't a healthy attitude when brining us kids up!

I can't blame my mum on me being fat obviously! I'm just saying that no wonder I over ate, or ate in secret growing up and had a warpped sense of food/diets etc when it's all I can remember listening to when growing up.

With SW your children won't notice anyway as it's a healthy eating plan :) Well done on your weight loss so far :)

Good luck! xx

I didn't tell them anything as I ate what they ate. They see me eat both healthy and unhealthy snacks as part of the plan so don't question it.
I did take them to group a few weeks ago and my 5 year old asked why I got weighed. I answered that people like to make sure that they stay healthy and one of the ways to do that is to get weighed. It helped that she was recently weighed as part of a school health check so accepted this answer. The one reason why I love slimming world is that I am bringing both girls up with a very healthy attitude to food. Neither have binged on their Xmas chocolate and both have asked for fruit as snacks over the open chocolate tin. X

Back