What happened with me :( ? Gained 99 pounds in 1 year.

albertolpz94

Hi, my names is Alberto and im 18.

Back in around March 3, 2011 I weighted 160 pounds. Few days after that I started to notice I was suddenly gaining weight. I started going to the gym (1 hour from Monday to Friday, cardio) trying to lose weight but didnt worked, I was still gaining weight. On March 3, 2012 I had gained 99 pounds (45 kilograms) and untill now, sometimes im 2 or 3 kilograms up or down, but I cant lose weight. I went with my physician and I had a Thyroid exam but everything was fine o_O. What could have triggered the weight gain ? How can I revert that and get back to my 160 pound weight ? I've been trying to fight this since last year, I took amphetamines and I lost 22 pounds but then stopped losing weight and gained back the same weight.

Hi, welcome to the forum! The first thing is you took amphetamines, are you taking anything else? Do you take any steroids? I would strongly recommend you don't take anything that's not prescribed for medical reasons as they can play havoc with your body. I think if you haven't changed your diet and you aren't taking anything you shouldn't then you should have a proper chat with your doctor and get them to investigate fully to find out why

No WOrries - I have put on 112lb in 14 months........................................ Ouch. I have PCOS but no other underlying issues. Starting Exante tomorrow to try and see if I
have ribs still....

Good luck hun x

So you would have been around 16 at the time you put on the weight? You would still have been growing. Can I ask if the weight looks like it's all fat? I'm wondering if your muscles and bones were growing, making you hungrier too, and then it may all be a combination of muscle and fat, or even mainly just muscle. It may not be as bad as you think. I would ask the doc to use their calipers and measure your bodyfat %.

If you are over-fat, please try not to stress about it. You can work out your calorie requirements per day (google harris benedict formula), multiply it by whatever factor it says for your particular level of activity, then eat 500 calories less than that every day. At that rate you should lose 1lb per week. 18 months from now you would be around 180lbs, which seems more reasonable. If you add moderate exercise, your weight loss should be quicker. Please don't get into a cycle of fad dieting/crash dieting now, as I did when I was your age, screwing up my metabolism. You are better to take it slow and steady, and incorporate exercise. Good exercises include rowing and swimming (both of which use all your muscles), but if you don't have money to take up such exercises, walking is a brilliant activity which is cost-free. Weight training would be beneficial to help with burning calories for fat loss too.

Back