What happens when people tell you to stop...?

HellieCopter

Gold Member
Just one for discussion really...

I've had a few people pull funny faces or say things like 'why do you want to lose another stone?!' When I say that I've still got that much to go.

I wouldn't be that happy to stick here. I mean, if I never lose any more I'd cope, but I want to be at least half a stone lighter, a stone ideally. I'm a 12, I want to be a 10.

If other people think you don't need to lose more weight, why are they saying that? Why the discrepancy between where other people think you should be and where you want to be?

I think if you've already lost few stone you already look so different, so maybe that can't imagine you any slimmer. But only you know what weight or size you want to be, so just do whats right for you x

I had this after I dropped just over a stone. I was still 14 stone and a size 16!!! I think people get a touch of jealousy, say it cause they want you to feel good etc. I just tell them that's it's about how I feel rather than look and it's all in my head. They can't argue with that. That or that im still classed as overweight according to my bmi not sure if you have that to fall back on?

I'm exactly the same so I have stopped telling people!

Ditto!

I have to say though, I think a lot of people's perceptions of what a healthy weight looks like are skewed. I've been finding, pretty consistently, that people think I weigh less/am a smaller dress size than is actually true.

Yeah I think you're right about that. I also get people thinking I'm lighter than I am...perhaps it's a perception thing like you say.
To me, the weight I want to be sounds pretty normal and not extreme...I'm not going for 7 stone or anything crazy like that!
I think I'll just stop telling people too. I like that idea.

who_la_hoop said:
Ditto!

I have to say though, I think a lot of people's perceptions of what a healthy weight looks like are skewed. I've been finding, pretty consistently, that people think I weigh less/am a smaller dress size than is actually true.

People definitely don't have a clue what weight looks like nowadays. The amount of times I've had people tell me nasty stories about 'obese people' at work when I'm standing there morbidly obese!

Helliecopter i'm in the same situation and it was getting me down now today it's just made me more determined to make me happy i've just over 1 stone to go to target and once i get there if i decide to move my target and lose a little more then so be it. Do what makes you happy and forget about others opinions xxx

so far I have lost 1.5 stone and now people are saying "oo don't want you getting poorly " " hope your eating" !! winds me up because I am constantly eating and I have never felt better !

My sister in law keeps getting at my OH to get me to stop. It was her that got me into SW but she gave up last year and I can only assume is jealous that I didn't stop. U have 12.5lbs to target now. But I won't stop till i'm happy. Not anyone else, ME. Not like am starving myself or owt!

You don't have to listen to other people, and you don't have to discuss what you are doing. Just say nothing, keep quiet about what you are doing.

(I have followed this principle all my life, and it is amazing what I got away with!)

LOL! I like that idea. I am such a blabbermouth (also blubbermouth) and always tell people stuff. Might try keeping a bit quiet about it, see how that works...

It's not that I listen to what others say...I'm not going to stop until I'm happy with where I am...I am just interested in other people's reasons for saying things like "ooh you're skinny enough now" and "make sure you're eating enough".

Jealousy maybe is right in part, yes!
I can always prattle on here if I feel like I am going to burst from not talking, can't I?! I love Minis!! :D

I'm 20 stones and one of my work colleagues said., oh you only need to lose a little bit!.. And I'm thinking.,. Erm, really? I know what I look like in photos so I KNOW I need to lose a tad more than a stone lol

I get this all the time. I started at nearly 17 stone and am now just under 12 stone so I think because compared to what I was before, I do look a lot smaller people think I've lost enough.

Some people are just jealous, they'll tell you to stop losing because they are struggling themselves or can't cope with you becoming slimmer and more confident.

I think the main thing is for me though that I am the person who walks around in this body, looks at it in the mirror and can see where the excess weight needs to come off. I do think I look okay in clothes (not amazing or anything but probably 'normal'), but with my clothes off I still have a spare tyre of fat around my belly and there's no way I would be happy stopping now with that still there.

Ultimately, it's your decision what your target weight is and providing it's not so low that you can't achieve/maintain it in a sensible way then I don't think it matters what other people think.

I just don't tell anyone that I am doing SW. The plan is so flexible and you can eat so much that people don't notice if you are dieting. I have been doing SW since August and apart from comments about'looking well' and 'you'vr lost a lot of weight, haven't you' nothing else is said. Much easier!!

Ditto!

I totally agree. A few months ago my mum asked me how much I weighed and at the time I was hovering around 10 stone. She said she thought it looked much less than that and I agree.

The problem is that most weightloss programmes go on "ideal" weight, or bmi, which is based on weight, whereas it really should be on size. I read somewhere (I think it was one of Pommette's posts) that a Waist-to-Height Ratio is a better health indicator. See here for more info Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio and More...

But personally for the time being, I am still aiming for a number on the scales and won't let anyone persuade me otherwise (less than 2lbs to go!). It's more a kind of challenge now than a need to lose any more weight and I'm not sure I'll be able to stay there long term. And I'm certainly not too thin, however you want to calculate it. I am hoping that my weight will just settle somewhere around my target weight and that I'll be content with that. As long as my clothes still fit, I won't get too stressed about the numbers on the doom machine :D

As has already been said - just do what you feel is best and don't talk about it. I mean, why are people so concerned all of a sudden? They didn't bother telling us things about our weight when it was steadily going up now did they? Might have got a punch in the mouth if they had, though lol!

I would kindly tell them to stuff their opinion up their arses..... people who feel like they need to tell you what to do with something as personal as weightloss need to really wise up...

If you are happy and you aren't under a healthy weight (bmi of 20) then its no one elses business but your own.

Back