What is the best?

nutrision

hello!

I am trying to diet but I face some difficulties.

I have noticed that if I indulge in things like sweets, cakes, pizza, pasta, chips and other carby things, first I don't get satiation easily (I will over eat) and second, I will be hungry again quite soon and I will want to eat alot.

In other words, I have the impression that when I include carbs in my diet, I feel less satiated, I feel more frequently hungry and I eat larger amount of food.

For example, today in the morning, I ate one sausage roll, in half an hour one cinnamon bun and in half an hour a slice of pizza. All these must be at leasy 900kcal I assume. In one morning! And I would assume, eating 900kcal of food would make me satiated and not wanting to eat anything else for at least 6h. However that was not the case! Even immediatelly after eating all those foods, I did feel my stomach fullish, but not extremely satiated (I could eat more). And additionally, after 3h I felt very hungry!

Is this the case or I am paranoid about carbs? I wish I wouldn't have to limit carbs in my diet, because it's hard to avoid them. But, after trying low carb diet, I literally stopped craving food and my appetite was completely normalised (I ate smaller portions and made me feel fuller and last longer). And anytime I eat a steak or other fatty and meaty meal, I feel more satiated and last longer.

Is it that my body doesn't cope well with carbs? Is low carb for life the only way for me? I would like to be able to eat carbs whenever I like, but is any diet that includes carbs destined to fail for me, so I will be chasing my tail?

thanks!

Hi Nutrition, I am a bit like you, I love bread and grains and pasta and feel I need them to get full but then a few hours later am starving again. I don't like meat of fish so it is hard to fill up on non carb foods. I found swapping for "healthier" carbs helped. So breakfast is still bread but is homemade wholemeal bread with egg and avocado instead of sliced white toasted with marmalade. And it keeps me full for longer. I have also discovered Konjac for lunches and dinners, you can get Konjac rice, noodles or pasta substitute. It is a glutinous vegetable product but it doesn't fully break down in your gut, so you eat, get full and it has practically no calories (about 9 for two servings).
I also try to have carbs without added sugar, so bread or rice is OK but cake and biscuits isn't.

I'm not a nutritionist or health professional, just saying what works for me,

I ate a baguette and after a couple of hours I am hungry, that's ridiculous, if I ate the same grams on steak I would last for the whole day!

Personally, I feel full if I eat any of the folllowing:
baked beans, kidney beans, peas, lentils, brown rice, meat, chicken, fish, chick peas, couscous, banana.
I don't feel full if I eat:
breakfast cereal, bread, pasta, pastry, sweets, chocolate, icecream, milk.

It might be worth looking at a "low GI" diet or a "low GL" diet (more or less the same). Both are usually recommended for people with type 2 diabetes and they usually keep you feeling full for much longer xx

Back