What is the etiquette for teacher gifts

big bear

A bear on a mission!
My son goes to preschool but will be still going from September. Do I need to buy the teachers a gift for the end of term?

You should check with the school administration. Many schools have rules about these gifts as the whole thing has been getting really out of hand, with competitive parents buying ever more expensive gifts, and children being made to feel unhappy about it all.

As I don't have any children I did not realise how widespread this had become until I read a few articles about it recently. Seems totally mad to me!

AnnaFaraday said:
You should check with the school administration. Many schools have rules about these gifts as the whole thing has been getting really out of hand, with competitive parents buying ever more expensive gifts, and children being made to feel unhappy about it all.

As I don't have any children I did not realise how widespread this had become until I read a few articles about it recently. Seems totally mad to me!

If the teachers in question had any sense they would play down receiving presents. When kids in my class get me them I say thank you to them on their own and then put the present, unopened, in the store cupboard until I am going home. It irks me when friends of mine open their gifts in front of the kids as they can see what each other got and no doubt go home and tell their presents.

Maybe write the teacher a nice card if you think she's done a good job, I know that a card expressing thanks means a lot more to me than a gift as its rare that you do get 'praise' for what you do as a teacher. Obviously nobody signs up for praise but a little recognition for the hard work you put in is really lovely.

Jenna88 said:
If the teachers in question had any sense they would play down receiving presents. When kids in my class get me them I say thank you to them on their own and then put the present, unopened, in the store cupboard until I am going home. It irks me when friends of mine open their gifts in front of the kids as they can see what each other got and no doubt go home and tell their presents.

Maybe write the teacher a nice card if you think she's done a good job, I know that a card expressing thanks means a lot more to me than a gift as its rare that you do get 'praise' for what you do as a teacher. Obviously nobody signs up for praise but a little recognition for the hard work you put in is really lovely.

I agree, although I'm not a teacher I work with children and when I left the nursery I had worked at for years the things that were the most touching were the letters and cards. It's so lovely to get gratitude for hard work and even more so when the parents thank you from the heart for being a part of their child's life.
I still have each letter and card I received and they are lovely to look back on and even now they bring a tear to my eye and make me so proud of making a difference to people :)

As he's at pre-school, does he have a key worker? I tend to get a present for my son's key worker and then contribute to the main collection which buys vouchers for all the rest of the staff. It's all entirely optional though, don't buy something just because you feel you should. Personally, I totally love my son's pre-school - it's been an amazing experience for him and his key worker has gone beyond the call of duty to help him settle and subsequently develop. On that basis I want to get her a little token to say thanks - nothing particularly expensive (£10ish) but enough to say - thanks, I appreciate you!

I've never given a present to any of my children's teachers.
I really don't understand why you would.

You don't have to get a present and the teachers/ staff get paid for what they do. If you/your child wants to then something as a token can be nice chocs/a pen/mug/wine etc A card can also be very nice.
As my children got older I asked them what they wanted to do and generally if they liked the teacher they would. Last year my youngest had a horrible teacher so I would have got in big trouble if I had given her what I would have liked to have given her! This year his teacher and a couple of others have been very good and supportive so I intend to get them something to let them know what they have done above and beyond has been appreciated.

I agree, why would you? Token gesture if anything but its out of hand these days.

We make gifts for all the staff at both schools. My eldest is autistic and by the end if the year his various key workers have EARNED a box of hand made fudge or chocolate brownies...he likes to cook!!! ..they've probably earned a large bottle of gin too to be honest....he is bloody hard work!!! but my budget doesn't stretch!!! I just feel that my children have been very fortunate (both at the younger twos mainstream and in my sons ARP school) to have had devoted caring teachers who treated them like individuals. My DD just knitted baby boots for her yr4 teacher who left early on maternity leave this Friday. It's nut about money. It's about saying THANKYOU to to someone who's just spent a year working with and caring for your children. Why WOULDNT you want to say thanks? (unless you had a rubbish teacher I suppose!! We had a bad one in yr2 and she just got a generic thankyou card lol)

I also don't understand why parents feel the need to give a teacher a present. After all, teachers are only doing their job. It's their job to be supportive/kind/approachable/friendly etc and they shouldn't get rewarded for doing what they're paid to do!

PS I've been teaching Primary age children for over 20 years and am horrified at the amount of 'Best Teacher' crap out there, which parents are feeling increasingly more pressurised into buying. I would urge parents to use the money to buy a good book for their child instead of something that the teacher will probably give to a charity shop anyway. I should know- on the last day of term I usually take two carrier bags stuffed full of various bits and pieces straight to Oxfam.

My sister in law reluctantly bought pressies for my nieces teachers purely because she didnt want the girls to feel left out.

I think its absolute nonsense. Teachers are doing a job and get paid for it. They dont need gifts, people wouldnt give gifts to any other profession - why teachers?

One of my friends whos a teacher says while she appreciates the sentiments there are only so many 'Best teacher' things a person can use, they end up at the charity shop; Its a ridiculous habit thats started and completely un necessary

bunnylovesalan said:
I was joking just wanted to see the reactions :rotflmao:

Ha ha ha brilliant x

I always send something in for about £10, the teachers are lovely and do a great job but it is more so my daughter is not left out x

I wrote a very nice thank you letter for my high school form tutor. I hope he still has it.

Get the kids making something if you do want to get the teacher something. It's cheaper, and even if the teacher doesn't like it, they can chuck it in the recycling bin!

Starlight;5344082 Teachers are doing a job and get paid for it. They dont need gifts said:
This is always my argument against tipping - why do people tip waitresses, hairdressers, taxi drivers etc - they're just doing a job they are paid for too? No-one ever tipped me when I sat in my office! I guess some jobs and professions just lend themselves to it a bit more especially if, like teaching they can have an emotional impact on you. You often see former patients giving their nursing team at hospital a box of chocs or biscuits as a thank-you, which I guess is a similar type of thing.

Back