What is this vegetable?

ermintrude

Gold Member
Is it just a sweet potato that's more purple than the supermarket versions? or is it something else?

I stopped by to get some plantain and picked up a couple of other bits while I was there.

6058282945_0be9625d0f_o.jpg

Hiya Erm, it's a white flesh sweet potato that's more common in Africa and the Caribbean. It's the same as the orange sweet potato that we all know but it's a little more dense and starchy (it's not a watery when boiled and mashed). Still sweet though! I made some chips with it the other day

f1f9ade0.jpg

Oooh yummy, chips for tea then! :D

I got my plantain to make those thingies you posted the other day, where you squashed it with the pan? But Ive lost the post now. Agghh. Cant make it til next week now anyway as Im away for the w/e.

whilst purple potatoes have been mentioned I bought some ages ago and made mash it tasted amazing BUT it looked hideous LOL

Looks yummy!

Oooh yummy, chips for tea then! :D

I got my plantain to make those thingies you posted the other day, where you squashed it with the pan? But Ive lost the post now. Agghh. Cant make it til next week now anyway as Im away for the w/e.

LOL! Would you like me to repost it in your food diary? That way you can access it when you get home :D

Spinach and Sweet Potato Curry

Free on Green

Serves -4
Ready In - 33 minutes

Ingredients
300 ml vegetable stock
750g sweet potatoes peels and cut into bite sized wedges
1 onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
225g fresh baby spinach leaves
2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tbsp medium or hot curry powder (add chilli powder if you want it hotter depending which powder you have)

4 ripe plum tomatos chopped - or use a can

salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method
Place the stock in a large saucepan and add the sweet potatoes and onions. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and gently cook for 4-5 minutes.

Add the spinach, garlic, chilli, curry powder and tomatoes to the saucepan, stir well and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes or until the spinach has just wilted and the sweet potatoes are tender and the sauce reduced. Season well and serve.

I have one of my own which I will find for you.

Sweet potato curry with spinach and chickpeas

Not a S.W. one but 6 syns for 1 tsp oil divided by 4 on green day is only 1 and a half so I use this one

• 1 medium onion - chopped
    • 1tsp oil- 6 syns
    • 2 tablespoons curry powder
    • 1 tablespoon cumin
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 10 ounces fresh spinach, washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped
    • 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced ( about 2 lbs)
    • 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomato
    • fresh coriander to garnish

Directions

1 - Peel, chop and steam sweet potato for about 15 minutes.(or boil them) While sweet potatoes cook, heat 1tsp of canola or vegetable oil over medium heat.
Add onions and sauté 2-3 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
Next add the curry powder, cumin, and cinnamon and stir to coat the onions evenly with spices.
Add tomatoes with their juices, and the chickpeas, stir to combine.
Add ½ cup water and raise heat up to a strong simmer for about a minute or two.
Next add the fresh spinach a couple handfuls at a time, stirring to coat with cooking liquid.
When all the spinach is added to the pan cover and simmer until just wilted - about 3 minutes.
Add the cooked sweet potatoes to the liquid and stir to coat.
Simmer for another 3-5 minutes, or until flavors are well combined.
Serve sprinkled with fresh coriander.

I do find fresh spinach expensive and very rarely use it - I buy frozen and defrost in the microwave, squeeze out the water and add to the curry. Just use as much as I want.

Last edited:
Back