Extra Easy What method do people use for counting their Syns?

AbFab

Hi everybody! I'm on my 2nd week and it is going well so far. I have my 2nd WI tomorrow and hope to have a couple of more LBs off.

I am curious to know how people use and count their Syns and what works best? I am taking for granted that I can have up to fifteen Syns a day and most days I average at 10 or just over. I limit myself to the 15 every day and start off each new day allowing myself the same.

However, if I count these Syns as 105 at the start of the week and then reduce that figure based on what Syns I have used, I see that I have nearly 36 Syns left tonight before starting my new "Syn week" after WI tomorrow. Does this mean I can be naughty and have those Syns this evening or does that entirely defeat the object of SW?

I'm curious if people look at their Syns on a daily basis and restrict them to 15 a day or over the course of a week and deduct as necessary?! I think I'm writing this because I have a little devil on my shoulder urging me to have some cheese and chocolate this evening!! :eek:

Any thoughts most welcome!

Different people work them different ways, I personally use up to 15 a day and if I don't use them on that day I lose them,

My consultant has suggested in the past to make a 'syn bucket' of 105 syns then once they're gone they're gone.

You really need to experiment and see what works for you x

I do 105 and drop down. is its a minimum of 35 syns counting 5 a day
having 36 left means you have averaged 9 per day which is good. they do say use it or loose it, for me I don't hAve an after weigh in blow out as I don't feel that teaches me anything (lol been here along time very focused)

which ever suits you I say but if you find your eating way over your syns regularly a day do focus on reasons why x

I use or loose max of 15 a day. I find this covers day to day living and even a cheeky Chinese on a Friday! I also think its teaching me to eat better and I think if I had the 105 I would be much less cautious about what I 'spent' them on, and would probably run out by day 3 and have none left for butter on my toast lol.

I've only being doing it for 3 weeks and this may change as I get further along but at the moment it's just another thing to get my head around!

I aim to use them daily. It just makes me feel a bit more in control.

I'm a 'use it or lose it' syn'r too. Once or twice I've overindulged (chocolate raisins) on a weekend so mentally diverted to the 105 syns per week tactic but felt it just didn't work for me. I felt like a glutton and thought it'd be too easy for me to slide down a sticky path.

Each to their own though.

I am the complete opposite lol. I count mine weekly. Personally I think there are enough free foods that at the beginning of the week I can use less but still feel full and satisfied and save them for the weekend for social occasions such as a few vodkas or dinner out.it just depends what suits u :) I guess it's also how u use your syns! I try to keep all my meals syn free/ as low as possible so I can keep them for treats for when the chocolate craving kicks in

I think it's good for people to find what works best for them as everyone is different. I did count them over a week once but I am worried if I did it every week then I'd lose control! I tend to stick to 10-15 every day and I do make a note so I know how many "spares" I have in case of emergency!

I usually make up a bag of snacks equally around 60-70 syns which I can eat whenever throughout the week. I don't binge and find that some weeks I have things left over :) but its there if I want something

I use them daily, unless I have a special occassion where I can still stay within weekly syns, then I'll count down and save some syns for that day or night

I have to do mine daily. Never thought of weekly. Try to stick to 10 but can be anywhere between 0-15. I couldn't keep track of weekly :)

Because I weigh on a Saturday morning I have my treat day then and a lovely roast with gravy on a Sunday then work out what's left, I tend to only have a few syns a day then and I don't snack I use them for meals ie: gravy/honey etc. if I know I want syns in the week, I don't go mad on the Saturday :) I am a planner so I plan my meals the Friday/Thursday night so I know where I am for the week :)

I count my 105 syns weekly, so i used all my syns over 3 days then 4 days syn free, works for me and i feel i am being mega naughty too lol

I think if you have 'blow outs' and days where you happily over eat or eat high synned food youre kinda missing the point.

Im a use it or lose it kinda girl. Its not just weight loss Im after, its forming new eating habits for the rest of my life.

I know it doesn't work for everybody, but I count my Syns weekly. I start each Wednesday morning with a fresh 105, and then count downwards as I use them.

I do it this way because it suits my lifestyle. Weekdays I use very little Syns (usually between 0-6) because I find myself busy at work and full up on Free foods. However, I know on a weekend when I am at home all day, our out shopping, or have a night out planned, etc. I will need more Syns. On a weekend I can use anywhere between 15-30 Syns per day.

I usually aim to have a decent amount left on a Tuesday night too. This enables me to have a "treat" after Weigh In, but to Syn it, rather than just totally going off plan.

For example, last weeks Syns looked like this:
Wednesday - 5
Thursday - 5
Friday - 17
Saturday - 19.5
Sunday - 12.5
Monday - 9
Tuesday - 33

To be honest, it's just about finding what suits and works best for you xx

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I've been religiously having 10-12 Syns every day and last night, because I figured I had lots of spare ones, I had a bag of crisps, chocolate and cheese which amounted to 24 Syns. I am now crippled with guilt and feel like I've gone back to my old overeating ways :cry:I have WI tonight and I feel now this will have impacted on all my hard work and 100% track rate during the week. Thanks for all your advice and feedback ladies, I think SW working for you comes with trial and error and I know now that sticking to a DAILY Syn allowance is the way that works best for me! xx

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I've been religiously having 10-12 Syns every day and last night, because I figured I had lots of spare ones, I had a bag of crisps, chocolate and cheese which amounted to 24 Syns. I am now crippled with guilt and feel like I've gone back to my old overeating ways :cry:I have WI tonight and I feel now this will have impacted on all my hard work and 100% track rate during the week. Thanks for all your advice and feedback ladies, I think SW working for you comes with trial and error and I know now that sticking to a DAILY Syn allowance is the way that works best for me! xx

Don't be too hard on yourself, 24 syns really isn't too bad, lots of us have a lot more if we have a moment of weekness and overeat. Just remember how you felt after doing it and think of that next time your tempted.

Don't be too hard on yourself, 24 syns really isn't too bad, lots of us have a lot more if we have a moment of weekness and overeat. Just remember how you felt after doing it and think of that next time your tempted.

Aw thanks for kind words Donna. I guess I'm trying to break old overeating/naughty habits so even a slight slip on the road at this early stage frightened me a bit. I liken it to having a cheeky fag when you're quitting, I'm not quite there yet!! :)

Back