what motivates everyone and keeps you going

The thought of being about to be picked up by my OH. So stupid but I can't wait to be light enough! Oh and seeing friends that I haven't seen in ages - looking forward to people noticing!

SW: 12 st 8. Wk 1: -2IBs Wk 2: -6ibs

I have two things that motivate me,
1- Going into a shop like Fat Face and buying clothes that I love rather than buying anything that fits from the plus size range!!
2- I know my son and my partner love me but going out with them looking like this I feel like I'm letting them down. I'm an embarrassment!! Not for much longer!!!!

I hope you're all managing to stay positive, I don't know about everybody else but days like today it's not the naughty foods that call to me it's the ice cold drinks, who knew you could miss 7 Up free (other brands and products are available hehehe)

Lisa-Marie: I totally agree about Fat Face! Ironic that a shop which, going by its name, ought to cater for the larger sizes only in fact serves the small. ;)

Things that motivate me? Oh, the list is endless:
  • Being able to wear pretty clothes
  • Feeling comfortable in my own skin
  • Feeling comfortable on planes, trains, buses
  • Finding it easier to move
  • Eliminating shame
  • Having the confidence to meet new people
  • Having the confidence to date
  • Increasing my chances of living a long, healthy life
  • Preventing damage to my organs and joints
  • Not feeling as though I have "failed" in this aspect of life (i.e. heath and beauty)
  • Being able to go on theme park rides
  • Being able to ride horses
  • Being light enough to sit on someone's lap
  • Not hearing furniture groan under the weight of my bulk
  • Being able to squeeze more friends on the sofa with me
  • Feeling proud that I actually managed to achieve something
  • Stopping people's judgments that I am greedy and lazy
  • Having the courage to see people I have avoided for years, out of fear of how they'd react to my shape
  • Actually having a shape, rather than being a big blob
  • Getting to know my body
  • Getting to know my digestive system
  • Giving my body the right foods to keep basic illnesses at bay
  • Not worrying about being turned down for work on account of my size
  • Not feeling out of place in a room full of "ordinarily-sized" people
  • Feeling less hot and sweaty in the summer
  • Not worrying about whether I can squeeze into the table I'm given at a restaurant
  • Not worrying whether a cafe chair can take my weight
  • Not worrying about squeezing past other diners to get to the toilets
  • Having more space in a toilet cubicle
  • Being able to fit more clothes in my suitcase/laundry basket because the items are smaller and take up less space
  • Not worrying that people are laughing at my behind my back because of my weight
  • Shaking off all the names I've been called over the years
  • Reducing the chances of being harassed by rotten teenagers
  • Sitting in the passenger seat of someone's car and not worrying about my big leg encroaching on the gear stick space
  • Less skin means using less moisturiser, saving me time and money
  • Showering will be quicker as there'll be less of me to clean
  • Knowing hotel towels will fit around my body
  • Not having to ask the weight limit of everything I want to do, like hot air ballooning and Segway touring
  • Not being the token fat friend
  • Being able to share clothes with people
  • Not defining myself as the fat girl
  • Respecting myself enough to stay at a healthy weight
  • Liking myself enough to stay at a healthy weight
  • Paying more attention to the quality, not quantity, of what I consume
  • Consuming less puts less stress on the environment
  • Having the courage to shop in small, local stores, rather than massive, anonymous supermarkets because I'm ashamed of how much junk I buy and how often

These are just a few of the things that keep me ticking over. :)

I've got a few

1. Wanting to start a family
2. Wanting to go to any shop and buy clothes
3. Not wanting to be the fat one out of our group of friends
4. Wanting to enjoy going out instead of stressing about what will fit me
5. Wanting to look forward to a holiday instead of the dreaded holiday diet that I always fail
6. Wanting to feel sexy and attractive
7. Wanting to have a healthy relationship with food instead of constant guilt
8. Wanting to exercise and not look like a whale

CountryBumpkin, you are fab. I've just read through your list and I can nod my head for all of them. I've seen a few of your posts now and think you are amazing at encouraging people and being honest. Ive been following the CWP for two whole weeks now and this forum, mostly your posts are how I'm staying motivated. I am determined to get to month two now!!!

Fab lists everyone. There is so much to motivate but sometimes when its hard its difficult to think of them all as being achievable if thst makes sense . Had my first weigh in today (day 14) lost 13lbs bit gutted coz according to scales at home have lost 18 but am gunna keep going !

Lisa-Marie, that's so kind. Thank you. :thankyou: You and I have a similar amount to lose so if you need a buddy on this journey, I'm here for you.

Jenboo, a 13 lb loss is outstanding! I can't speak for your scales, but mine can be a little temperamental. I can never trust the first reading (which is good, because it tends to be 6 lb above the other readings). My counsellor's scales, on the other hand, are unbelievable. She has a full body composition machine which tells me all kinds of scary percentages about my fat, water and muscles etc. I Googled it, with the hope of getting one for myself, but it's a 4-figure machine, so a teensy bit out of my £5 price range...

When's the next time you see your counsellor? I'm sure you'll have another fantastic loss by that time.

Thanks CountryBumpkin.

It'd be great to buddy up, I'm going to be here a very long time!! I've been sat with my diary thinking about the weight I could be by certain dates. It's actually quite scary, I've been huge for so long it doesn't seem possible. This plan was exactly what I needed though, proving to myself I don't have to eat and biscuits can sit in the cupboard untouched.

How are you getting on? From your posts I get the impression you're a few months in. My first mini goal is to get under 20 stone. Long term, I can't even begin to think about what might be possible at the moment.

I seey counsellor on tuesday. My scales are brand new tell u the body composition etc etc so thought they wid be accirate but hey ho never.mind. just hoping the weight will come off now. I am gokng on holiday in mid august and would really like to have dropped a cpuple of dress sizes and be able to go swimming with my little boy am worrying it osmt gping to come off xx

Don't get disheartened Jenboo, no two scales are the same. Personally, with such a drastic diet, I would stay away from weighing mid week. Just get the nice surprise when you see your consultant. Weight is so fickle, one hot day could see you 5lbs heavier than a cold day where you've eaten loads. It all comes down to fluid and even how often you go to the loo!! Stay strong and be amazed by the loses month to month.

Oo and don't forget to measure and take monthly or even weekly pics. I can see my face changing already when I look back. (still not impressed by what looks back at me in the mirror though...)

I agree with Lisa. It's very disheartening to see fluctuations across the week and days, as I used to be the kind of person who weighed herself fifteen times a day because I so desperately needed the motivation - it simply wasn't coming from within at all, I had to have external factors pushing me on. That's probably why I'm successful at the diet now in comparison to all my abortive attempts, because the time it's really coming from a deep down desire to change. I go by my scales at home rather than my counsellor's (although thankfully the readings have matched thus far), but that's because I have to live with my scales. There's no point in my getting used to a reading on my counsellor's fancy set-up if it bears no relevance to the one item I have to monitor me post-diet! Whether you'll have dropped a couple of dress sizes by August is hard to predict, because it all depends on your current weight and natural frame etc. I'd heard that a stone loss equates to one dress size, and you ought to lose a stone within a month so you ought to be at least one dress size smaller. On the other hand, I have more than nine stone to lose but if I lost nine dress sizes I'd be down to about a 4/6 going by this theory, which is ridiculously untrue, so it varies for different people. Either way, regardless of how much or little weight you lose, you will be smaller and happier and regardless of how much or little weight you lose you can still go swimming with your son. He'd love that, and you can't get that time back so enjoy it and don't give a moment's thought as to your weight. When you put something as unimportant as weight against something as precious as family time, there can only be one winner. :)

Lisa, I'm two months in and I do the exact same thing! "By my holiday I should be..." "By Christmas I should be..." I use it to spur me on. I remember Christmas last year, all 23 stone of me sitting on the sofa and watching the Muppets' Christmas Carol in my frumpy jim-jams, and it's possible that Christmas this year I'll be a "mere slip of a person" at 13 stone (not exactly lightweight but hey, to an ex 23-stoner that feels positively waif-like), in potentially much nicer jim-jams but inevitably still watching the Muppets' Christmas Carol.

I have a million mini goals to get me through. I monitor myself in terms of stones, pounds, kilograms and BMI. Every time I break a barrier, e.g. my BMI drops a point, or I lose a kilo, or move into the next stone, or from having a weight in pounds that begins with 26X to one that starts 25X, that's something to celebrate. I treasure each and every milestone, because they're all my tiny little victories!

I've got a list that I look at to keep me on track. I've got 3 key dates in mind over the next 3 months (birthday, anniversary and my holiday) so a few weeks ago I sat down and worked out what weight I'd be at each of those dates if I lost 1lb a week, 1.5lbs a week, 2lbs a week, 2.5lbs a week and 3lbs a week. I didn't go higher than 3 as I wanted to make sure I kept the numbers realistic and my average loss is 3lbs

This week 1 I achieved what i would weigh if I lost 1lb a week by my birthday (and I've got 5 weeks to go!) :)

It looks like this....

Birthday - 7 weigh ins

1lb = 7lbs = 14st 2lbs ********achieved on 9/7***********
1.5lbs = 10.5lbs = 13st 12.5lbs
2lbs = 14lbs = 13st 9lbs
2.5lbs = 17.5lbs = 13st 5.5lbs
3lbs = 21lbs = 13st 2lbs

I have loads and loads of lovely clothes that i cant fit into and it breaks my heart. I dont have a lot of money so there is no way I am buying lots of new bigger clothes when i have so many just waiting for me to shrink back into them. I have hung my favourite dress and jeans up on my wardrobe door so i can keep remembering why I have started this diet plan.

I love thos forum it keeps me going ! I have stopped weighing myself every day now so I can just forget am even on a diet untik I get ro weigh day woth counsellor. Thanks for the wise words everyone it really helps x

Fantastic lists ladies!

Being at a stage now where I am achieving a lot of the things on your lists I can honestly say it is completely worth the hard work.

There is no better feeling in the world than going into a shop, picking up a size 10 and it fitting, I've never been anywhere near a 10 in my life (well maybe when I was about 8 yrs old lol) I still hesitate as I pull something over my head wandering if it'll go lol, but is worth the last 7 months and £££s along the way!!

Really fantastic "conversation"! I started a list and decided to put one thing on for each day that I was on the diet and then read back over to get some motivation. I think I had pretty much all of the above. It is amazing how we all want the same thing for alot of the same reasons. One of the big motivators for me is coming on here and finding people in the same boat who are encouraging and supportive. It is a long, arduous, torturous journey but worth it I am sure! I don't think about the money because when (she says confidently) I reach my goal I won't give a toss how much it cost me to get there!

I agree it really good to speak to others who understand. .. I suppose for me it was a last resort but wish I had done it ages ago... I know it sounds corny but I feel really free doing this diet. .. I have found other ways to spend my tome other than eating... my garden n house have never looked so good ! My nails sre always painted and my hair is always styled hahaha x

CrazyDiamond, it's great to hear someone else on the other side of the spectrum - especially saying they can't believe what they've been able to achieve. I am longing for the elusive size 10 but, as someone who's always been at best overweight and at worst morbidly obese, it seems to me that it's physically impossible for my body ever to get so small!

Just discovered this thread and it is really motivational reading your list of motivators as mine aren't far off!
1) bmi in a healthy range so we can have IVF
2) hate being the one who sits in front passenger seat as I'm too big to sit in back with the others!
3) getting excited about going out rather than often cancelling cos I can't face being seen the way I am.
4) sick of being the largest friend/sibling/relative/auntie etc
5) going for a swim and not worrying than people will worry I might take the water out the pool when I go in it!
6) feeling healthier and not like I'm carrying so much that I feel unfit
7)getting back into some of my slim clothes!

That's just a few!!!

Back