What to do with cooked chicken breasts?

lesleyanne

Any ideas? We roasted 2 chicken last night and no-one wanted the breasts! Have put the carcasses etc in to make a huge stock...but left with cooked chicken breasts!
Any recipes gratefully received!

Also...... I want to get rid of the fat in the stock.....can you advise how to do this if I don't have time to cool it?

Thanks!

Hi LesleyAnne! I would add your fillets to a nice salad or use your stock to make a chicken noodle broth and add your cooked chicken to that.
a handy tip to get rid if the fat from your stock is to pop in a few ice cubes, take them out after a few seconds & lots of the fat will have stuck to them. I'm interested to hear other tips too!

Chop it up and stir it through paella at the end of cooking?

Chicken pizza ie add pizza topping to breast then the cheese or a curry (I do loads with chicken )sweet and sour

Stir-fry with lots of SF veg w and free noodles or rice could be good. If you don't have time to pop your stock in the fridge or freezer for a bit - you could throw a few ice cubes in - I'm sure the ice attracts the fat and sticks to the cubes. A less efficient way is to lay a slice of white bread on top which mops it up a little - not so good though. I used to have this fat-separator/gravy jug from Betterware or Lakeland or somwhere and it had a slant of plastic in and when you poured gravy or stock out of it the fat would sink and you would just get the good stuff. Really good - I should get one myself!

Like this: Gravy Skimmer in pourers and spouts at the home of creative kitchenware, Lakeland

I buy cooked chicken a lot because I'm lazy :p So having leftover cooked chicken would be heaven for me. I throw it in with some cous cous and roasted veg, or a pasta dish with arrabiatta sauce. Or you could have chicken sandiwches with HEX B bread. or in a nice salad :)

Stir-fry with lots of SF veg w and free noodles or rice could be good. If you don't have time to pop your stock in the fridge or freezer for a bit - you could throw a few ice cubes in - I'm sure the ice attracts the fat and sticks to the cubes. A less efficient way is to lay a slice of white bread on top which mops it up a little - not so good though. I used to have this fat-separator/gravy jug from Betterware or Lakeland or somwhere and it had a slant of plastic in and when you poured gravy or stock out of it the fat would sink and you would just get the good stuff. Really good - I should get one myself!

Like this: Gravy Skimmer in pourers and spouts at the home of creative kitchenware, Lakeland

These are definitely the bee's knees of fat removal...I use them all the time to get rid of fat from liquids :)

I used Frylight and fried one onion with garlic, threw in the chicken and fried off then added some chilli flakes, paprika, cinnamon, s & P & stock cube, carton of passata and cooked it through, then threw in some cooked pasta... It was really nice, especially if you have a tbsp of parmesan on top 1.5 syns=1 tbsp.

I always use the ice technique if you add enough then the fat will solidify as it cools and you can remove the lot while retaining all the taste What would we do without a freezer especially the ice maker!!!

Slice into strips and have with a chicken chow mein!

Pete’s Chicken Chow Mein

Serves 2

Ingredients

1 Carrot, sliced into matchsticks (s) (sff)
1 Onion, finely sliced (s) (sff)
1 Chilli, finely chopped
1 Garlic clove, finely chopped (sff)
1tsp sesame oil (2syn/2=1 syn per person)
1tbsp sweetener
1tbsp runny honey (2.5 syns/2=1.25 syns per person)
2.5cm of Ginger, finely sliced
3tbsp light soy sauce
100g Sharwood’s fine rice noodles (ff)
200g Beansprouts (s) (sff)
250g Chicken breast (ff)

Method

Place the chicken in a freezer for 1 hr., remove & slice into strips, place in a bowl & marinate with 1tbsp of the soy sauce & runny honey, mix well and cover, place in the fridge until mealtime.
Prepare the noodles as per the packet instructions.
Heat wok, sprayed with Fry Light and stir-fry the chicken until browned, add the garlic, ginger, onion & carrot and cook for 2 mins, add the bean sprouts, noodles, sweetener & remaining soy sauce, mix well, cook for 5 mins until hot, just before serving add the sesame oil, serve in heated bowls.

Chicken Chow Mein (Small).JPG

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! The Stock was great and it was cold enough on Sunday to cool it quickly outside! Made a yummy chicken soup. Like the look of the Chow Mein! Those breasts are still languishing in the fridge!

Back