What type of fasting are you doing?

Clareel

Persistence not perfection
Thought we could share ideas as to how we're incorporating fasting into our lives! There seems to be lots of different types and different things might work better for different people so feel free to share :)

• I fast 3 days per week, usually Monday, Wednesday & Friday
  • I eat up to 500cals on my fast, sometimes in 1 meal and soemtimes spread out throughout the day
  • I fast midnight - midnight
  • I don't count cals on my non fasting days

What's everyone else doing?

X

I fast 3 days a week -
Sun/Tue/Thu

I don't eat anything at all -
black coffee, herbal/fruit teas, diet soft drinks, bovril

I fast from dinner/supper until breakfast day after next - so could be 36 hours

I follow (mostly) Slimming World on UD and don't count calories

Sounds good debridger! I'm thinking of trying a liquid only fast, possibly tomorrow which is my next DD. I hadn't really though of the fast being that long, I guess mine are as well sometimes as I don't start eating at midnight after a DD! I do proper midnight-midnight when I'm working nights though!

I love SW have had quite a bit of sucess on it in the past, it's just so easy isn't it!

Looks like you're doing really well :)

Best of luck for your WI x

I've only just started so this week is only a 2 day fast but i might fast 3 days per week if i fancy it, however i will let the scales dictate that to me on Saturday morning. So if i fast 3 days it will be Mon/Wed/Fri if 2 days it will be Wed/Fri.

I haven't eaten food and only consumed water and black coffee.

Still early days mind. On non-fasting days i am trying to follow a healthy but unrestricted diet and am making sure i chew my food properly and concentrate on what my body is telling me. If i'm hungry i'll eat but then i'll only eat until i feel satisfied.

Cheers, when do you WI?

I've stopped weighing in, the number I saw on the scales was totally depressing me as I don't 'feel' that big. I've just been measuring monthly but that's not due again until the 27th, I've started the 30DS and upped my running since last measurements so I'm hoping to see a few changes on the tape measure next time! The weight in my stats is from when I got weighed at my GPs in Feb, I managed to lose 13.5 inches between then and then end of April though through fasting alone. I was hit by a car and barely able to walk let alone exercise so I know that fasting makes you shrink lol.

My scales broke before Christmas and I'm not planning on replacing them, might pop into boots if I get a significant inch loss this month and check it out though!

I've only just started so this week is only a 2 day fast but i might fast 3 days per week if i fancy it, however i will let the scales dictate that to me on Saturday morning. So if i fast 3 days it will be Mon/Wed/Fri if 2 days it will be Wed/Fri.

I haven't eaten food and only consumed water and black coffee.

Still early days mind. On non-fasting days i am trying to follow a healthy but unrestricted diet and am making sure i chew my food properly and concentrate on what my body is telling me. If i'm hungry i'll eat but then i'll only eat until i feel satisfied.

Sounds like you're off to a good start carrot! I'm going to try a liquid fast tomorrow :)

I have been doing alternate day fasting since the beginning of December. I moved to fasting mon, weds, fri in January. 2 weeks ago I decided to combine fast-5 with min, weds, fri fasting which means I eat within a 5 hour window every day whether fasting or not. Seems to be working really well :)

Sounds really interesting arcoiris! What times do you have your 5 hours eating window between, do you vary it?

Do you count calories or just eat what you fancy?

X

I've stopped weighing in, the number I saw on the scales was totally depressing me as I don't 'feel' that big. I've just been measuring monthly but that's not due again until the 27th, I've started the 30DS and upped my running since last measurements so I'm hoping to see a few changes on the tape measure next time! The weight in my stats is from when I got weighed at my GPs in Feb, I managed to lose 13.5 inches between then and then end of April though through fasting alone. I was hit by a car and barely able to walk let alone exercise so I know that fasting makes you shrink lol.

You're right, it's so easy to be waylayed by the numbers on the scales, and yes, fasting has changed my bodyshape more than just dieting alone

I realy need to incorporate some excercise, I have been walking a bit more, but pulled something in my hip oneside, so, that's slowed a bit recently..

Hi guys. I just started this, just done my first fast day.
I am starting on 5:2, with 500kcal, skipping breakfast and having a late lunch, and have 2small meals, 200cals each then 100cals on milk in drinks. Is there any benefit to total fasting? I notice a few of u do it, but I have no experience with this so any advice would be great xx

Hi guys. I just started this, just done my first fast day.
I am starting on 5:2, with 500kcal, skipping breakfast and having a late lunch, and have 2small meals, 200cals each then 100cals on milk in drinks. Is there any benefit to total fasting? I notice a few of u do it, but I have no experience with this so any advice would be great xx

Clover to me the main benefit of a complete fast was not having to worry about eating. I tried 5:2 with the 500 cals but as soon as started eating i just couldn't stop. I tired having 3 smaller meals and saving all my cals for one big meal at the end but it always ended the same way. I thought not eating at all would be hard but it was actually so much easier than eating. When it tried it with the meals i was always hunger and always thinking about my meal but that didn't happen at all when i wasn't eating. In fact i only had one moment when i craved something and the craving was so stupid that 15mins later i was wondering why i'd even though that! I do feel some slight hunger pangs but they are no where near as bad as they were when i was eating on my fast days.

There are some studies you can look at by searching online but i think its just about what works best for you. I'm sure the health benefits are probably round about the same whether your eating or not but i think for Intermittent Fasting the longer you can manage without food the better the health benefits? Dunno about its effects on weight loss.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about IF will come along and be able to answer your question better than i can. How are you finding 5:2?

Ah I see! That great thanks. If I start to struggle I wilk try it. Only done one day, yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. I had day off work but spent most of day doing an essay and some housework so nothing overly physical, was worried Id get light headed, I work long shifts so going to.try to avoid fasts on my shift days. Popped on scales and hav lost 2.2lbs since 2days ago, prob water and no food in tum but its definately a start! How r u doing on it? Have u lost much weight?xx

Ah I see! That great thanks. If I start to struggle I wilk try it. Only done one day, yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. I had day off work but spent most of day doing an essay and some housework so nothing overly physical, was worried Id get light headed, I work long shifts so going to.try to avoid fasts on my shift days. Popped on scales and hav lost 2.2lbs since 2days ago, prob water and no food in tum but its definately a start! How r u doing on it? Have u lost much weight?xx

Good luck clover, looks like you're off to a good start :)

Well i've only done one week so far and i lost 5lbs. I don't overeat on my non fasting days and i always make sure i get weighed the day after a fast day to make the most of my empty stomach (and empty bladder ;) ) I'm not expecting much weight loss this week as i lost far more than i was expecting in the first week. But i do have the advantage of being off work ill at the moment. Not sure how i would cope with full fasts if i was still at work but hopefully by the time i return to work i'll be used to them.

2.2lbs is great btw :) How are you finding it? Oh and don't forget to measure yourself. I've heard inches continue to drop after weight loss has stalled.

Sounds really interesting arcoiris! What times do you have your 5 hours eating window between, do you vary it?

X

I try and stick to the same window every day. I try to do 4 til 9pm so I can have tea with my family. There is a free book on the fast-5 website. Interesting reading :)

X

Oh yes and I eat below 500 Cals mon, weds and fri :)

Back