what was everyones inspiration to finally start battling the bulge?

sarahaglover

Wondering what inspired everyone to start dieting?
My Omg moment was looking back at pics from Xmas 2010. I hated the way I looked & was actually disgusted by the pics so decided enough was enough. My youngest was only 3 months old & my eldest 26 months & I knew it wasn't gonna be Long before they were at school & I really didn't wanna be the fat mum. I wanted to like myself again & for my kids & husband to be proud. I'm now nearly 5 st down & really owe it all to that vile horrible pic!

That's a good question and I'm not sure I think mine was a mix of things -

1 struggling to buy clothes off the rail

2 being at work getting hot and sweaty but sore (chub rub!)

3 my boyfriend even though he still loved me I wanted to look better for him!

4 I could feel my pelvic floor beginning to weaken and that was a scary thought!

Lol x

For me it was a mixture of things as well:

1 - Being the heaviest i have ever been

2 - size 20 clothes not fitting me

3 - being unhealthy: i was getting back ache and my knee was hurting when I was walking

4 - I was seriously considering weight loss surgery and decided that i didn't want to go down that route but to try again on my own.

5 - I started to avoid friends and going out, Last year I had lots of strangers say really nasty things to me about my weight/size, I stopped going out in case people said things to me and also because I wasn't happy with the way i looked and the way i felt about myself.

Nearly all of the above! It's the photos that do it for me, especially the ones taken unaware when you haven't had time to suck everything in!
The hot sweaty rubbing thing is a biggy too.
Getting out of breath at the slightest exercise.
Loads more!

KB x

same as all that

photo's - constantly buying bigger clothes - struggling to make it up cliffs for my beloved lure fishing hobby

but mostly wanting to be a better other half and daddy than the appearance gave!

on my way now, 1/3 of my target achieved

SarahB said:
For me it was a mixture of things as well:

1 - Being the heaviest i have ever been
2 - size 20 clothes not fitting me
3 - being unhealthy: i was getting back ache and my knee was hurting when I was walking
4 - I was seriously considering weight loss surgery and decided that i didn't want to go down that route but to try again on my own.
5 - I started to avoid friends and going out, Last year I had lots of strangers say really nasty things to me about my weight/size, I stopped going out in case people said things to me and also because I wasn't happy with the way i looked and the way i felt about myself.

I could have written this! This is exactly how I felt and got to the point where I HAD to do something. Gave myself a good shake and started the long journey.
Glad we can all do this together xxx

Mine was actually being the fat mum at school!!!! For my sons reception year I was the biggest & worried he'd get teased. Am now thinner than any of the mums I'm really friendly with which as awful as it sounds I'm thrilled about!!!!!

Also my ex hubby died end of sept last year & we were still close. Made me realise I was wasting my life & he'd not have liked that so I did it for his & our sons who passed aways memory

Finally I wanted to be the old me again, the one who was on the dance floor all night, who had confidence & loved life.

Four stone down I'm finding her again & welcome back I say!!!!

What a great question and its been inspiring to read everyone's replies and relate to so much of it. My final turning points were the fact that I have to go into hospital for an op very shortly and decided even if I lost a bit it would be safer for me, also I have booked a 2 week holiday in August to Majorca with my hubby and children. I didn't want to spend this year (like last year) worrying about how I look around the pool and on the beach as there's no hiding weight in extreme heat! I also wanted to take my little girl to a water park this year and go on the slides with her. Last year in Lanzarote I pretended that there wasn't a water park as I had read reviews that said they were strict about weight limits and didn't want to be refused to go on in front of her. Lots of other things have bugged me, worrying about people making comments, photos of me, lack of confidence in myself, not wanting to go out as I feel embarrased, being the biggest at the school and where I work but none of that pushed me over the edge like the thought of being big on my holiday or having complications in my op did.
I can't wait to be the national average (size 16) or below, do more things with my children and hopefully build my confidence levels back up! Good luck to everyone with their goals xxx

My main reason is - My Daughter. She is 2, she is energetic and I struggle to keep up with her, I dont want her to get teased at school for having a chubby mummy, I want ot be able to run round the park and round soft play with her without getting out of breath or worrying I'll get stuck on the slides.... :)
My Mum died when I was 16, she was taken from me far too early in life, hers and mine. I do not want that for my own daughter, life is cruel enough as it is without taking away the people you love when you still need them.

Back