What's an intermittent day?

Drunk Tinkerbell

I'm just getting started and keep seeing referrals to up days, down days and intermittent days?

start - 12.7 current - 11.3 target 9.10

IM days are days when you go over on a DD whether its planned or not, its like a sort of emergency day, it would be the amount of cals you would limit yourself to on a cal counting diet 1200- 1400 is about average. They are also useful to use as inbetween days if you need to alter your UP DD pattern, so in short if you have a planned DD that you end up going over on you can change it to an IM to limit any damage or you can plan to have an IM on a day thats supposed to be a DD but you have something planned that won't enable you to do a DD some others use them instead of UP s if they want to limit cals after a few bad DD's does this make any sense ???
Oh and welcome to juddd x

Bajoleth's given you great info there - that's what the good Dr Johnson says they should be for!

Though I have to admit that I'm slowly formulating a theory about Intermediate Days. I'm not sure they actually help many of us, particularly if you try to use them before a DD. It's my personal belief that you need to go into a DD well-fuelled, i.e., eat the majority of your UD calories (or more), otherwise you put yourself more at risk of blowing the DD. I'm starting to wonder whether, when you need to change your rotation, it might be better to have two UDs rather than try to make one of the days an Intermediate Day. I've noticed that a number of us find that the scales get a bit sticky when we introduce too many Intermediate Days, maybe because our bodies are thinking, "Okay, what's this? There wasn't much food yesterday and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot more today..." and subsequently dial down our metabolisms. Whereas if you follow two UDs with a DD, our bodies are still expecting UD levels of calories so they happily burn off the DD calories we feed them and don't realise they're not getting more until it's time for the next UD.

Just a theory. :) A theory I'll openly admit I've adopted cos I'm actually rubbish at sticking to Intermediate Days - once I've opened the eating hatch, there's going to be food going in and I find it hard to stop at the 1250 calories mark (let's face it, if I could stick to eating 1250 cals every day, I wouldn't need to do JUDDD! :D).

Spot on Lily, I have never managed a IM day yet, I am an all or nothing girl def and its the swings that make me lose x

Lily said:
Bajoleth's given you great info there - that's what the good Dr Johnson says they should be for!

Though I have to admit that I'm slowly formulating a theory about Intermediate Days. I'm not sure they actually help many of us, particularly if you try to use them before a DD. It's my personal belief that you need to go into a DD well-fuelled, i.e., eat the majority of your UD calories (or more), otherwise you put yourself more at risk of blowing the DD. I'm starting to wonder whether, when you need to change your rotation, it might be better to have two UDs rather than try to make one of the days an Intermediate Day. I've noticed that a number of us find that the scales get a bit sticky when we introduce too many Intermediate Days, maybe because our bodies are thinking, "Okay, what's this? There wasn't much food yesterday and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot more today..." and subsequently dial down our metabolisms. Whereas if you follow two UDs with a DD, our bodies are still expecting UD levels of calories so they happily burn off the DD calories we feed them and don't realise they're not getting more until it's time for the next UD.

Just a theory. :) A theory I'll openly admit I've adopted cos I'm actually rubbish at sticking to Intermediate Days - once I've opened the eating hatch, there's going to be food going in and I find it hard to stop at the 1250 calories mark (let's face it, if I could stick to eating 1250 cals every day, I wouldn't need to do JUDDD! :D).

Makes an awful lot of sense to me :) x

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Back