What's the most common reason for a 'bad' week?

auntyspan

I'm new to SW and although I'm enjoying it, I'm worried I'm not going to lose any weight. I've been careful with syns etc but I just haven't felt hungry.

I thought it might be useful for me and other newbies to look out for the most common pitfalls - portion size? Too many syns? - that more seasoned SW people have come across?

Thanks in advance x

Hi and welcome to minis and SW and good luck on your journey. I do the EE plan never even looked at red and green. I find my bad weeks are either my * star week or the weeks I dont plan what to have. If i dont plan I tend to pick more and this is when anything goes into my mouth and I forget Ive had it. Thank goodness those weeks are few and far between. If your following the plan and eating lots of superfree and free, using both your healthy extras and also your syns, ( some people limit these to 10 a day) you will lose.

My consultant mentioned again at our WI the other night, if you fill your food diary in for 4 weeks and still lose nothing you will get your money back. In all her 16years of slimming world she has never had to refund. If your stuck just shout someone will help you. It may help you to keep a diary on here and people can see what your having if your struggling, then help you. Good Luck

Hi hun, just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your SW journey.
My downfalls are when I don't plan my meals, I always make bad decisions when i'm not prepared. If I could give you any advice, try to plan your meals for the week in advance.
Also, if your going shopping/cinema/out for a meal, have a look online where you can go for lunch, check out the menu online, pack your own lunch, take your own nibbles for the cinema. There's an excellent "eating out" thread here Slimming World - Eating Out
Hope this helps:) xx

Portion size - DO NOT PANIC!!!! As long as you only eat until you are full (not stuffed) the plan will work. Do not use other people to judge YOUR portion size - only YOU know when you have had enough.

Plan. Have a look in your book or on-line to find the best choices to eat when you're out. Don't wait until someone asks you out for a meal, do it NOW. (That way you won't have to go hunting for your book to check!! Nothing worse than an impromtu dinner invite when your books are at home!!)

I have a little bag with some low syn treats (ready for the cinema!). Just throw it in my bag at weekends (when I'm most likely to end up at the cinema) - just in case!!

If you're cooking, batch cook and stick the extra in the freezer. It's great for those days when you're feeling too tired to cook or get home late.

As for syns, as long as you are having between 5-15 syns a day (most people aim for about 10), you are following the plan. Obviously if you are having more than 15 syns per day (unless authorised by your consultant) this may affect your weight loss. The two main reasons for people going over their syns (accidentally) are not weighing and measuring accurately and not checking syns first.

DO NOT GUESSTIMATE your healthy extras or syns. If you're having sauces - use measuring spoons - and make sure it's a LEVEL spoon (not heaped!).

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW THE SYNS OF SOMETHING - CHECK FIRST!!!! Once you've eaten it, you can't take it back. The number of people who say 'I've just eaten XYZ and just checked - OMG! It was 18 SYNS!!! I never would have had it if I'd have thought it was THAT much!!!'

If you are really worried that you won't lose any weight (following SW 100%), then keep a food diary. You should have 4 weeks worth in your starter pack. This is one of the most important things to do, so that your consultant can check (if you're having any problems or have a disappointing weigh in).

HTH
(Not quite seasoned but liberally coated in Malt Salt)

I still write a weekly food diary and do a weekly menu so that I only buy the ingredients that I need for that weeks food! If you keep your food diaries you can always check back to see any "bad" weeks, good luck.
Pete

I'm quite lucky, other then over Christmas (I just lost it completely a week or two before) my self control is quite good and my bad weeks tend to be when I have plans, so with friends or when I can't plan, one bad week I had because my boyfriends parents came to visit as a sort of last minute thing (found out that morning) so we ended up eating out and I hadn't planned for it, also where we ended up didn't have the best choices... I ended up making worse choices then what I could though, bread and dips for starters as everyone else was having it, chilli on top of chicken with cheese and chips and then cake after as it was boyfriends dads birthday. If I'd known they were coming I would have been prepared and saved some syns and probably also make better choices as I would have been prepared for it.

for me its not planning and preparing x

my advice would be to try and think positively, is this your first week? Just follow the plan, some times it takes a couple of weeks to get into the swing of it but if you keep your book with you all the time, scribble before you nibble, you'll be fine xx

plam plan plan plan days/weeks when i don't plan (like today) are the hardest for me.

Also for me telling myself just one won't hurt is always the slippery slope to a bad week. Especially with choc I can only eat choc if i buy it portion controlled one portion at a time (ie one fake or one bag of maltesers) If there is a bag or box i wil go back repeatedly.

For me it's always a glass of wine too many which has me reaching for the crisps :(

Welcome to the forums and best of luck with your weight loss journey.

Back