Green Day Whats your favourite Lentil recipe?

vanilla_cupcake

Silver Member
There are lots of lentil recipes on here but I just wanted to ask what are your favourites.

I made Butternut Squash, Potato & Red lentil Curry last night....OMG it was delicious :drool:

This was the first time I ever had lentils and I loved them so i'm looking some more yummy recipes that have been tried & tested! :)

OMG I *adore* lentils! I have lentils in everything! :D Last night was Egyptian lentil soup, I have roast veg & lentil soup every week, stick it in curries, everything!

Here ya go, some people seem to like this recipe:

Warm Puy lentil salad:

Ingredients:
- 150g Puy lentils
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- About 20 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf

For the dressing:
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 rounded tsp powdered mustard
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (4 syns but serves about 3)
- freshly ground black pepper

Method:
- Put lentils and bay leaf in twice their volume of water, cover and simmer for 20-25min or until tender and all water gone.
- Meanwhile cook onion & garlic in Fry Light for 5-10min until softening
- Crush garlic and salt in a pestle & mortar until creamy
- Add mustard and work that in
- Add balsamic vinegar and whisk it in
- Add oil and freshly ground black pepper and mix well
- When lentils are cooked mix them with the onion & garlic, basil leaves and dressing

Best served warm or at room temp

5828005199_08231fdb54_o.jpg

I usually only use them in soup, boring I know :rolleyes:

I made this BBC - Food - Recipes : Sophie's dhal with lemon and saffron spiced rice once (only once because of how long it took me, it was worth it but I've never had the patience to do it again:eek:) it's really lovely and so easy to convert to SW, just leave the oil and butter out :) You could probably use pre-made garam masala instead of making your own too, but that's just personal choice not a SW conversion!

Whats the difference in the lentils, I have red and yellow ones, do they taste different and what should each be used for or do they both do the same job? I'm a pure lentil virgin!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Split lentils are mainly for thickening things up (stew, soup, curry etc) or to make 'squishy' food like dhals and things as they start to dissolve during the cooking because they are split. I cant tell any difference between red and yellow. Green ones I dont bother with as I only use this sort of lentil for soups and stuff anyway.

Puy lentils take longer to cook but stay whole, a bit like tiny beans but they taste divine, lovely meaty, nutty little things! Lush! :drool: Absolutely fab with a little oil and goat's cheese or Feta, a little bit of lemon, ommmm! :drool: I use them in salads, stews, even to make burgers with, they are amazing! :)

oh, oh! and you MUST try the lentil shepherd's pie! God's food! :drool:

6112739866_cbfb3c2ea7_o.jpg

6112743816_ce1cb1feb0_o.jpg

6112196705_b211ce8b28_o.jpg

Veggie Shepherd's Pie

Serves 4 (huge portions though, I reckon you could serve 6 or even 8 if you have it with veggies etc)

Works out about 2 syns plus 1HEXA per portion on Green/EE

Ingredients:
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 or 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g carrots, cut into very small cubes
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 200ml red wine (7 syns)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 stock cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Good few shakes Worcestershire sauce
- 200g dried Puy lentils (or you can used drained tinned ones if you work out the relevant weight)
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 500g baking potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 113g mature cheddar, grated (= 1 HEXA per portion)

Method:
- Simmer lentils in 2-3 times their weight of water for 15 min until half-cooked (skip this if you use tinned ones). Drain.
- In the meantime fry onion and garlic until golden, about 5 min
- Add lentils, carrots, wine, tomatoes, stock cubes, bay leaf, cumin, chilli, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and all but a sprinkling of the thyme and simmer for 20 min.
(You might have to add about 100ml of water to feed the lentils depending how fast your hob cooks. But at the end you need the mix to be reduced to a nice thick pie-contents consistency, not runny)
- While that's cooking boil both types of potato for 10-15 min until tender, then drain well, add cinnamon, season well and mash
- When it's all ready put the lentil mix in a casserole dish, spread the mash over followed by the cheese and sprinkle the remaining thyme on top
(If you're not cooking it right away leave it to cool before putting the cheese on)
- When you're ready to cook heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5 and cook for 20 min straight from the hob, or 40 min from chilled

Veggie Shepherd's Pie

Serves 4 (huge portions though, I reckon you could serve 6 or even 8 if you have it with veggies etc)

Ingredients:
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 stock cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 200g dried Puy lentils (or you can used drained tinned ones if you work out the relevant weight)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Method:
- Simmer lentils in 2-3 times their weight of water for 15 min until half-cooked (skip this if you use tinned ones). Drain.
- Add lentils, carrots, wine, tomatoes, stock cubes, bay leaf, cumin, chilli, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and all but a sprinkling of the thyme and simmer for 20 min.
(You might have to add about 100ml of water to feed the lentils depending how fast your hob cooks. But at the end you need the mix to be reduced to a nice thick pie-contents consistency, not runny)
- While that's cooking boil both types of potato for 10-15 min until tender, then drain well, add cinnamon, season well and mash
- When it's all ready put the lentil mix in a casserole dish, spread the mash over followed by the cheese and sprinkle the remaining thyme on top
(If you're not cooking it right away leave it to cool before putting the cheese on)
- When you're ready to cook heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5 and cook for 20 min straight from the hob, or 40 min from chilled

OMG that looks deeeeeeelish!! :drool: defo gonna try that, thanks Ermintrude x x

OMG that looks deeeeeeelish!! :drool: defo gonna try that, thanks Ermintrude x x

That one needs Puy lentils though, deffo not the split ones. Puy all the way weeeeeeeee!!!!!! :drool: :D

I love lentils! and beans and pulses! my fiancee always complains, he says hes never sure "what these things in bowls are doing cluttering up the kitchen" which he means my beans and chickpeas that I have to soak lol

Why not try lentil pate?

Quick lentil pate

190 g dry lentils
475 ml chicken or vegetable broth
5 ml oil
salt and ground black pepper to taste

Additions:
Feel free to add chilli and herb to jazz this up.

Boil the lentils in the stock in a covered pan until the lentils are soft and all the stock has been absorbed, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool.
Place lentils in a food processor. Pour in olive oil and pulse until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pulse to preferred thickness and consistency. If too thick, pour in a few teaspoons of water or stcok to thin.

ermintrude said:

Veggie Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients:
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 stock cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Method:

That looks so good! Def one to try :)

R-E-D said:
Not really cooked with lentils before, what texture do they have?

hmmmm not sure how to describe them in words............ probably a lumpy texture but in a good way, I don't really taste them (I think) this is a tricky one hopefully Ermintrude can describe them better :)

I use them in curries and love the in soups.

R-E-D said:
Not really cooked with lentils before, what texture do they have?

Red lentils you can use from dry and they will thicken up a dish giving it more filling power. My fav is butternut, red lentil and spinach curry! V easy

I love making lentil and sausage stew. I usually bung green or puy lentils into the slow cooker with stock, onion, celery, carrot, potato and a tin of chopped tommies... aaand a nice big heaping teaspoon of marmite! Cook on low for 8ish hours... I do my bangers separately when I'm ready to eat as veggie sausages tend not to hold up especially well in the slow cooker, but actual meat sausages might behave better!

Veggie Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients:
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 stock cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Method:

I made this yesterday and it was gorrrgeous! Thanks so much for the recipe Ermintrude.

Thanks for some new lentil ideas, I love lentils but don't use them enough.

Erm, I'll definitely try the lentil shepherds pie haven't made one of those for ages.

Back